Author Topic: John Oliver On Psychics  (Read 528 times)

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
John Oliver On Psychics
« on: February 25, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »
I would have liked to see some Peter Popoff and James Randi mentioned, but this is pretty good-

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Re: John Oliver On Psychics
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
I would have liked to see some Peter Popoff and James Randi mentioned, but this is pretty good-

It does feature the biggest douche in the universe.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 03:14:23 PM »
You rang?

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:18:36 PM »

It does feature the biggest douche in the universe.

"Here he is....."

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:26:42 PM »
Popoff and Randi are old news. He said up top, this was not about debunking but rather trying to show some of the current crop for how ridiculous they are.

I like that he didnt use the same approach that has failed over and over again, interested to see if anything comes of this episode as something often does.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:25:06 PM »
Popoff and Randi are old news. He said up top, this was not about debunking but rather trying to show some of the current crop for how ridiculous they are.

I like that he didnt use the same approach that has failed over and over again, interested to see if anything comes of this episode as something often does.

I had already forgotten about that part at the beginning, thank you. Sylvia Browne is pretty old news at this point, too, and that part of the segment worked pretty well.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
He did one on televangelists a while back. Can't remember if Popoff was mentioned or not, but it wouldn't surprise me; he's the biggest profile, most blatant takedown of those assholes.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 02:04:17 AM »
A few days after 9/11, when they were still pulling bodies out of the rubble, I had a discussion with a co-worker about John Edward (he was a believer). I mentioned that if he could talk to dead people, why didn't he go to the Twin Towers site and help locate bodies? Why waste time on cadaver dogs?

Him: "It doesn't work like that."

Me: "You're half right."

We didn't talk much after that.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • Fear & Loathing.
    • Me.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »

I hate to say I'm curious if it's only me: I have found Randi boring since his inception in my mind. While I realize he has done great and influencing things in his time, he has just never really caught my ear. It's very similar to Carl Sagan, who may have been a pillar in skeptical thinking, just seems like an idol of the older skeptical crowd than he is for me, personally. I don't think bringing up James Randi, for example, would have assisted this episode of Last Week Tonight at all. Honestly, I find most people, of age eligible to really have seen Randi on TV even, know of the man, in my experience. It's probably why I gave up bringing up the "One Million Dollar Challenge" almost entirely in discussions early on.

Anyhoo, I love John Oliver and am always presently surprised how well he and his writers cover topics such as this one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:07:45 PM by Bill K »
"We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
I hate to say I'm curious if it's only me: I have found Randi boring since his inception in my mind.

Different people prefer different styles of exposition or storytelling, and there's nothing wrong with that. Many people seem to love George Hrab's podcast, but when he's telling even a simple story he takes forever (seemingly intentionally) to get to the point, yet I can still understand why some people find that style entertaining. Heck, even though I can listen to Bill Nye forever at conferences and whatnot, I find his old TV show utterly unwatchable.

To me, James Randi and Carl Sagan are fine, though John Oliver beats them both. Perhaps it's because JO provides the same information-dense format without extraneous distractions yet also knows how to break the tension when necessary. Perhaps the fact that he's a better entertainer (better at connection with the audience) also gives him the support to have a much greater reach, more resources for reaching the normies, etc., than Randi or Sagan ever could have.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »

I hate to say I'm curious if it's only me: I have found Randi boring since his inception in my mind. While I realize he has done great and influencing things in his time, he has just never really caught my ear.
I also understand and appreciate his contributions, and I do enjoy him in video format, but on the podcast i have to skip forward.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
https://www.mediumimpressive.com/