Author Topic: Biblical quotes preferences and fads.  (Read 2833 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Biblical quotes preferences and fads.
« on: February 25, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
I saw the following article in this morning’s Melbourne Age:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/social-media-upends-public-s-bible-quote-preferences-20190225-p50zyy.html

I once saw a very big and very expensive Mercedes with the personalised number plate ‘John 3 16’ in Perth, Australia.  About 10 years later i saw the same personalised number plate on a very downmarket Holden, so eternal life doesn’t seem to go along with the increased prosperity promised by Jeremiah 29:11.

I thought this would be a way of making a quick profit by buying the personalised number plate with ‘JER 29 11,’ but it’s not available, though ‘JER 29 10’ and JER 29 12’ are.

Anyway, Jeremiah 29:11 in the King James Version reads ‘For I know the thoughts I think towards you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.’  Nothing about prosperity, just an end, and I know what my end is going to be.

Anyway.  I was wondering what will be the next big thing in Biblical quotes, so I can jump in early and buy the corresponding personalised number to make a quick profit?  I can’t be bothered doing the research myself.

I’m amused that there’s actually a ‘Research Centre for Digital Theology’ at the Durham University.  ‘Digital theology?’
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:57:42 PM by bachfiend »
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Biblical quotes preferences and fads.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 04:06:37 PM »
I like the part where the big kitty cats didn't hurt Daniel. ;D
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
I like the part where the big kitty cats didn't hurt Daniel. ;D

Perhaps you ought to go for Daniel 1:8 ‘But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine that he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.’  Good dietary advice.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
My favorite quote is from Acts 9:5 KJV:

"It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+9%3A4-6+&version=KJV

Although this joke may be America-centric. See Urban Dictionary:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Prick
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »
I like Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Bart Ehrman loves Ecclesiastes; it’s the sceptics’ part of the Bible.  I like your quote.  If I wanted a biblical quote for a personal number plate I’d pick yours.  And ‘ECC 9 5’ is available.  But I can’t imagine it being a money spinner.  I want something I can sell to a devout Christian with more money than sense.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »

Bart Ehrman loves Ecclesiastes; it’s the sceptics’ part of the Bible.  I like your quote.  If I wanted a biblical quote for a personal number plate I’d pick yours.  And ‘ECC 9 5’ is available.  But I can’t imagine it being a money spinner.  I want something I can sell to a devout Christian with more money than sense.

I helped a woman at the grocery store. To be blunt because she was in front of me at the register and wanted to get her out of the way. She wanted to thank me by praying. Having her pray would have slowed me down so was not the time. Still, she asked me what my favorite bible passage - Wish I had more time.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »

Great find! I wonder how the Bible-thumpers get around that one.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 04:38:50 PM »

I actually got a warning on another forum for quoting that one at Christains - I think I was trying to tell them that the bible is not one voice. Was not a religious website either.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
My favourite Bible story is Judges 4:17-24, Sisera and Jael.

17 Howbeit Sisera fled away on his feet to the tent of Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite: for there was peace between Jabin the king of Hazor and the house of Heber the Kenite.

18 And Jael went out to meet Sisera, and said unto him, Turn in, my lord, turn in to me; fear not. And when he had turned in unto her into the tent, she covered him with a mantle.

19 And he said unto her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water to drink; for I am thirsty. And she opened a bottle of milk, and gave him drink, and covered him.

20 Again he said unto her, Stand in the door of the tent, and it shall be, when any man doth come and enquire of thee, and say, Is there any man here? that thou shalt say, No.

21 Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died.

22 And, behold, as Barak pursued Sisera, Jael came out to meet him, and said unto him, Come, and I will shew thee the man whom thou seekest. And when he came into her tent, behold, Sisera lay dead, and the nail was in his temples.

23 So God subdued on that day Jabin the king of Canaan before the children of Israel.

24 And the hand of the children of Israel prospered, and prevailed against Jabin the king of Canaan, until they had destroyed Jabin king of Canaan.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 11:28:37 PM »
Doesn’t mess around with Jael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 12:12:25 AM »

They probably use the Monty Python defence:

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 12:13:18 AM »
Doesn’t mess around with Jael

...or she'll nail your head to the floor.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »
My favourite Bible story is Judges 4:17-24, Sisera and Jael.

17 Howbeit Sisera fled away on his feet to the tent of Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite: for there was peace between Jabin the king of Hazor and the house of Heber the Kenite.

18 And Jael went out to meet Sisera, and said unto him, Turn in, my lord, turn in to me; fear not. And when he had turned in unto her into the tent, she covered him with a mantle.

19 And he said unto her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water to drink; for I am thirsty. And she opened a bottle of milk, and gave him drink, and covered him.

20 Again he said unto her, Stand in the door of the tent, and it shall be, when any man doth come and enquire of thee, and say, Is there any man here? that thou shalt say, No.

21 Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died.

22 And, behold, as Barak pursued Sisera, Jael came out to meet him, and said unto him, Come, and I will shew thee the man whom thou seekest. And when he came into her tent, behold, Sisera lay dead, and the nail was in his temples.

23 So God subdued on that day Jabin the king of Canaan before the children of Israel.

24 And the hand of the children of Israel prospered, and prevailed against Jabin the king of Canaan, until they had destroyed Jabin king of Canaan.

Oh, come on! That's not as good a story as Jonah being swallowed and then barfed back up alive by a fish.

... They probably use the Monty Python defence: ...

Okay, that's a great clip, but what's the "Monty Python defence"?
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck