Author Topic: Biblical quotes preferences and fads.  (Read 2603 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: Biblical quotes preferences and fads.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »
The Monty Python defence is that Jesus’ audience just misunderstood what he was saying.  Such as the promise of the Second Coming would occur in the lifetime of some of his listeners didn’t actually mean that the Second Coming would actually be physical, although it’s still expected to be physical by many believers today, who still expect it to happen any day soon, somehow.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »
So if we're talking about favorite Bible passages, mine is "The Pearl of Great Price," which has some pretty racy symbolism.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 04:14:03 PM »
The Monty Python defence is that Jesus’ audience just misunderstood what he was saying.  Such as the promise of the Second Coming would occur in the lifetime of some of his listeners didn’t actually mean that the Second Coming would actually be physical, although it’s still expected to be physical by many believers today, who still expect it to happen any day soon, somehow.

Okay, I kind of thought that's what it is, but it doesn't seem to apply to Ecclesiastes, which is just a book, not allegedly the transcription of a speech as heard by somebody in the back row.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »

Okay, I kind of thought that's what it is, but it doesn't seem to apply to Ecclesiastes, which is just a book, not allegedly the transcription of a speech as heard by somebody in the back row.

It’s the same thing.  The readers have just misunderstood what was written, or rather what was translated and transcribed.  It’s always possible to get different interpretations from the same text. 

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »

It’s the same thing.  The readers have just misunderstood what was written, or rather what was translated and transcribed.  It’s always possible to get different interpretations from the same text. 

Okay, but is that what the fundies are actually saying about it? I don't care how you would argue the point if you were assigned that side in a debating contest. I want to know what happens when you quote Ecclesiastes 9:5 to a Bible-literalist fundamentalist or evangelical Christian. Fortunately, I don't encounter them where I am now.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 07:53:35 PM »

Okay, but is that what the fundies are actually saying about it? I don't care how you would argue the point if you were assigned that side in a debating contest. I want to know what happens when you quote Ecclesiastes 9:5 to a Bible-literalist fundamentalist or evangelical Christian. Fortunately, I don't encounter them where I am now.

That's old testament. They say Christ showed up, and died so anyone who believed in him could go to heaven. Before that it was lights out. He basically says if the old testament disagrees with him, go with him, or else.

That's why Christians can eat bacon.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »
That's why Christians can eat bacon.

And be gay.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »

As an example as to how a believer would ‘interpret’ Ecclesiastes 9:5

https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/ecclesiastes-9-5.html#

Funny, there was no mention of the Messiah and the removal of sin in the original.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »

https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/ecclesiastes-9-5.html#

Funny, there was no mention of the Messiah and the removal of sin in the original.

Okay, thanks. So as CarbShark said, they just don't believe the Old Testament.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »
2 Kings 2 23-25

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

Such a thin skin for a god, but that is Par for the course.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »

Okay, thanks. So as CarbShark said, they just don't believe the Old Testament.

Not exactly. They pick and choose which parts of the Old Testament to believe.

Kind of the same with the New Testament.

Plus even if Jesus says something they don’t like ( something about rich people, for example) they have a loophole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"?
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 04:39:57 PM »

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"?

Hey, who doesn't like a good cheesemaker?
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »
Not exactly. They pick and choose which parts of the Old Testament to believe.

In my experience it's not about "believing" some bits and "not believing" others. Christians "believe" the whole Bible. But they take away different things from different bits. Some bits provide a good moral lesson. Others illustrate an important part of history. This is why simplistic impressions like "oh, they just don't believe this bit" are misleading. Again, in my experience.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

personate-rain