Author Topic: At last some good news.  (Read 716 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
Re: At last some good news.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM »
But only for Australians though.  The rest of the world knew about it back in December:

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2018/12/12/cardinal-pell-top-advisor-pope-francis-found-guilty-historical-sexual-offenses

The verdict was suppressed in Australia, because Pell was facing other charges, and it was thought that he wouldn’t get a fair trial otherwise.  But these charges have been dropped, so the suppression order was lifted.

Many Australians were already aware of the verdict.  It wasn’t difficult to find the Jesuit review one, which probably offers the best ‘spin’ on it.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
And we can be confident that the Church continues to cover up and shelter priests who rape kids. Fucking church.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:11:55 PM »
And we can be confident that the Church continues to cover up and shelter priests who rape kids. Fucking church.
Jehovah's Witnesses and others, too.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 06:19:41 AM »
;D >:( ::) 8)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Will Nitschke

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Member: League of Extraordinarily Evil Gentlemen
    • CAPITAL Office Business Software
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 06:04:48 AM »
There is no 'good news' when the conviction is based on a "he said, I said" claim. It's actually the opposite, very alarming for the future direction of society.
Conversation is not an enterprise designed to yield an extrinsic profit, a contest where a winner gets a prize, nor is it an activity of exegesis; it is an unrehearsed intellectual adventure - Michael Oakeshott

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
There is no 'good news' when the conviction is based on a "he said, I said" claim. It's actually the opposite, very alarming for the future direction of society.

Whether you believe the claims or not (About him molesting boys). Pell is certainly guilty of covering up other molestations by other priests. For that alone he deserves the sentence he got.

People have died and/or had their lives ruined because of his and the Catholic church's actions and inactions.

Fuck George Pell.  >:(

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »

Good Lord.  You came back to stand up for child diddlers by out and out lying about the facts in the case?

Have you no shame?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »

I don't get what this is supposed to mean. Are you proposing to throw out witness testimony as a valid form of evidence? If we did, we wouldn't have much of a criminal justice system left.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »

Often the only evidence against a perpetrator is a witness testimony.  The credibility of the witness has to be judged at trial. 

Personally, I think we should get rid of the jury system, which takes 12 random people from the street, who generally aren’t intelligent enough to get out of the onerous duty of sitting through often very long and tedious trials, and have judge only trials.  I think judges are better qualified to assess the strength of the evidence.

If Lindy Chamberlain had a judge only trial, she would have been found innocent, sparing her 3 years in gaol, till she was released as a result of new evidence, and eventually declared innocent.  The jurors couldn’t decide on the basis of the evidence.  So they just decided that she was guilty of murdering her daughter Azaria, because they didn’t like her.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
...the jury system, which takes 12 random people from the street, who generally aren’t intelligent enough to get out of the onerous duty of sitting through often very long and tedious trials...

What an elitist, assholish statement.