Author Topic: Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist author Rana Ahmad  (Read 258 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside

Richard Dawkins speaks with young Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad, author of the new book Frauen dürfen hier nicht träumen (Women Aren’t Allowed to Dream Here).

They discuss the plight of atheists in Saudi Arabia and how she and her fellow freethinkers found new hope and new ideas from an unofficial translation of The God Delusion in Arabic.

The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason & Science has launched the Translations Project so that people like Rana can have free access to the works of Richard Dawkins professionally translated into languages such as Arabic, Urdu, Indonesian, and Farsi. Learn more at https://translations.richarddawkins.net/.

Special thanks to Atheist Refugee Relief (ARR), which assists atheists in Germany, such as Rana, who have escaped persecution in Islamic countries. Learn more at https://atheist-refugees.com/en

What a story. I hope she is able to make a good life for herself in Germany.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist author Rana Ahmad
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
Already posted. . . . .It does point out a problem for women in Islam which I have seen far beyond Saudi Arabia which it hard to criticize without becoming labeled an Islamophobe.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 04:00:36 AM »
Already posted. . . . .It does point out a problem for women in Islam which I have seen far beyond Saudi Arabia which it hard to criticize without becoming labeled an Islamophobe.
Maybe because such government policies dont affect all women in islam? Just like they dont affect all christian women.
I do get what you are trying to say, and I think the solution, as we do when we criticise catholics rather than 'christianity' is to find out and name the specific sub group to which we are referring at the time. This small extra step makes it clear to a reader who doesnt know you that you are genuinely concerned about the issue, have knowledge of the group and acknowledge that islam is not a monolith.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
Maybe because such government policies dont affect all women in islam? Just like they dont affect all christian women.
I do get what you are trying to say, and I think the solution, as we do when we criticise catholics rather than 'christianity' is to find out and name the specific sub group to which we are referring at the time. This small extra step makes it clear to a reader who doesnt know you that you are genuinely concerned about the issue, have knowledge of the group and acknowledge that islam is not a monolith.

The problem is that it is just so many sub groups that it seems something more endemic. Sarah Hadar or ex-Muslims of North America was raised in a the United States by Pakistani parents and suffered similar issues. Yasmine Koenig is even worse - She was taken to Palestine and forced to marry at fifteen.   
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
This is a good way to get your head cut off with a bottle.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

personate-rain