Author Topic: is screen time really a problem for kids today?  (Read 364 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
is screen time really a problem for kids today?
« on: February 27, 2019, 09:46:05 AM »
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/2/26/18241265/smartphone-tech-mental-health-teens

this article suggests the answer is more complicated than many people think.

But I think the author misses one big point.  TV, video games, laptops, wifi, cellphones etc, have been around for a while now, but the big change in mental health issues in teenagers seems to really start to rise right around 2007, when the iPhone debuted. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: is screen time really a problem for kids today?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »
The scale seems deceptive

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:30:48 PM »
And it seems to me that in at least three of the graphs, the iPhone release date is right in the middle of a decline that actually started much earlier.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »
And it seems to me that in at least three of the graphs, the iPhone release date is right in the middle of a decline that actually started much earlier.

I think its fair to say that the speed in the decline of those graphs takes a tremendous turn after the iPhone is released.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »
I have a child ( 8 ) who has been negatively affected by screen time. I am aware of this being anecdotal and probably that his behavior increases screen time rather than screen time creating his behavior, but I will point out the issues.

• Obsessed with things in screens to the point that gets frustrated with other activities if it delays screen time gratification.
  • Gets extremely bored with most mundane things (classwork, going out, dinner, chores.)
  • Less sleep, uncomfortable sleeping, insomnia.
  • Has symptoms of attention deficit disorder.
  • Misbehaves in ways that seem to me related to what he sees and does on screen
  • Restless. Can't stay still for long. The longest still is while in front of a screen, but will stand and run for a while
  • Tantrums and unusually common frustrations

It is quite mild by the examples I've been given from other parents or psychologists, but i was aware of this because he was unusually misbehaved in class. When digging into his misbehavior, it was clear that the problem was that he was getting bored. This lead to two conclusions which we addressed. 1) he was getting less sleep than needed, mostly because lack of routine and having difficulty falling asleep. He had averaged 7 to 8 hours of sleep, and at times spent at most 2 hours to fall asleep when in bed. 2) Screen time has changed his expected gratification window, or so it seems. He expects a lot of information or activity intermediately for immediate gratification which cannot be realistically achieved in real life.

So When we, 4 months ago, limited his screen time considerable, and had him routinely go to bed earlier. He started misbehaving less (he's at about the average of the class in misbehaving now), felt less tired and got less bored during other activities. No improvement in the ADD symptoms, but have seen improvements in his tantrums and frustration.

I do not think that the screen time Is what caused all of the problems. We were aware of some issues before he took up the screen. But I am convinced that screen time has aggravated some issues. It might be that if your child is predisposed to have ADD or shyness or some issue in his brain that screen time would be counter productive in the developing brain and reduce the effect of reasonable therapy. It's quite possible that a child with no issues would no be impacted with screen time.

"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Online wastrel

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »

I think its fair to say that the speed in the decline of those graphs takes a tremendous turn after the iPhone is released.

It also took a "tremendous" turn right before...how come?  This could certainly be a factor, but I don't see it being the only one.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »

It also took a "tremendous" turn right before...how come?  This could certainly be a factor, but I don't see it being the only one.

Smart phones aren't the only way to get screen time.  Someone should add the peak of MySpace popularity and the advent of Facebook on there.  Before my kids had phones, they were glued to their computers after school.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online wastrel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 02:03:21 PM »

Smart phones aren't the only way to get screen time.  Someone should add the peak of MySpace popularity and the advent of Facebook on there.  Before my kids had phones, they were glued to their computers after school.

I actually meant it took a downswing right before the rise, so what would account for that?

personate-rain