Author Topic: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix  (Read 1788 times)

Offline skepticahjumma

• Brand New
Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:54:06 AM »
Anyone else seen this? It was fascinating. It both humanizes flat earthers and shows how crazy many of them are.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
I'll put it on my list.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
Aside from a review on YouTube, I've only seen a clip of that Jaren feller proving himself wrong with a modern-day Bedford Level test. That alone makes me want to see the whole thing.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »
It is hilarious. Definitely worth watching.

Those tests they try and do towards the end of the film show how far they will go to prove themselves right.

They buy a $20,000 gyroscopic compass that amazingly shows 15 degrees of rotation every hour. (What we'd expect) Their solution, come up with a better experiment and don't release the results, because it will make them look bad. That we never see them pleased with the results means that they eventually gave up .

The laser experiment just shows how amateur they are.

The main guy is just deluded at his own fame. He also obviously is infatuated with his podcast partner, who doesn't feel the same way about him.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
The main guy is just deluded at his own fame. He also obviously is infatuated with his podcast partner, who doesn't feel the same way about him.

I hate to say it, but I think the world needs a flat earth reality show...

Offline skepticahjumma

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 03:52:38 PM »

Totally right. And his podcast partner is a whole ‘nother level of crazy. You can see it oozing out of her.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 10:27:08 PM »
About 3 or 4 miles off the coast of Maui is the island of Molokini. It's a small crescent-shaped island that was once a crater, but has eroded away. Tour operators take people out there to go snorkeling or scuba diving, and I've paddled there and back in a kayak when the weather is calm. The back wall of the crescent is lower in the middle, higher as you go outward, and then lower again as you continue outward.

If you launch your kayak from Makena Landing (as we most often do) or if you launch a canoe from anywhere in Kihei, and paddle out, you see Molokini as a single island, which it is.

But if you launch tour kayak from Olowalu, about 14 1/2 miles from Molokini, you see what appear to be two separate islands. In just those 14 1/2 miles, the curvature of the Earth is sufficient to obscure the bottom of the island, and all you see are the two higher humps. It's pretty cool to actually see the curvature so starkly.

In the video, Patricia Steare says that she believes no authority but herself. She says that if there were a bombing reported on the news, she would not believe it unless she was there and her own leg was blown off. IOW, she will reject all evidence beforehand.

What really surprised me was that Mark Sargent came off as the moderate and level-headed one in that pack of lunatics. Until now my impression of flat-earthers was taken from the Flat Earth Society chat board, where most of the posters are there to argue with the flat-earthers, some seem to be pretending to be flat-earthers just to be silly, and just a very small number seemed to really believe the Earth was flat, and most of those are so mentally ill that their posts are just word salad. It's also noteworthy that there are a dozen different and mutually exclusive versions of flat earth, and few of them seemed botherd by that other than the major proponents of the various versions.

And then one of them says, apparently not realizing he's being filmed and recorded, that if they released the results of their own experiments to date it would completely kill flat-earth. Though I suppose what would actually happen is that the rest of them would call him a plant and a shill, and ignore his experimental results and continue in their lunacy.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 12:06:29 AM »
So this is not like the Goop show? It's exposing the crazy?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 12:13:24 AM »

It is more about letting the crazies show how crazy they are.

There is the odd bit of skeptical commentary, but most of the doco is the flat-earthers talking and trying to justify their beliefs.

It has been edited from a normal view of earth as a globe viewpoint.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 12:29:50 AM »
I might be able to stomach it.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »

Some of it is hard to watch as they let the crazies rant. But, yes, basically the show exposes the crazies, especially when we see one of them saying flat-out that flat-earth would be dead if they revealed the results of their own experiments. OTOH, since the foundation of FE is that all contrary evidence has been fabricated by a mysterious "them," FE-ers will only see the pronouncements by their fellow crazies that "science cannot answer us" and believe that, even though such pronouncements are followed by scientists answering them.

It's worth a watch if you have 90 minutes to kill. It probably doesn't have much you don't already know. The in-fighting is interesting. Patricia Steare, who believes that everything is a conspiracy, comments on the fact that some FE-ers think that she's part of the conspiracy. The wackiest wacko shown in the movie thinks that Mark Sargent, one of the leaders of FE, is part of the conspiracy. The bit with the $20,000 gyroscope is interesting: the FE-ers got a commercial-airline-quality gyroscope to prove that the Earth does not rotate. The gyroscope showed exactly the expected 15 degrees per hour rotation. The FE-ers reasoned that, because they have "so much" other evidence that it does not rotate, the gyroscope must be measuring "rotational energy" from space, from the rotating sky, and tried to shield the gyroscope. It still shows the rotation. A great example of how pseudoscientists reject evidence that does not fit their model, rather than revising the model, as real scientists do. As of the end of the film, they are trying to figure out other ways to shield the gyroscope.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 04:47:06 AM »
I just finished it. Holy Shit. Without direct spoilers, my 3 laugh-out-loud moments were a prominent flat-earther using GPS, another one staring at the 2017 eclipse with no glasses and a motorcycle with light-up crystals. I remember the guy harassing a Nasa employee at Starbucks making the rounds on Facebook a while back, and I was surprised to see he's featured in the program. This is the feel-good movie of the year. Not being one of these idiots feels good.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
Were you referring to the guy watching the eclipse with those disposable paper eclipse glasses? Some of those kinds of glasses are certified safe. I have some of those back at home somewhere.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Gigabyte

• Off to a Start
  • If you believe ...
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 11:55:32 AM »
It both humanizes flat earthers and shows how crazy many of them are.
Thanks to this topic I am going to watch it.  Years ago I knew of a prolific online poster (considered a troll) who was a flat earth believer (among many other crazy things), and I engaged over the flat earth with them.  For fun, I had no intention of changing their mind.  I just wanted to see how far down the rabbit hole things would go.  It was actually educational, and the sort of thing you just couldn't make up if you were trying to write a Sc-Fi story.

I don't understand some things

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 01:49:20 PM »
I just finished it. Holy Shit. Without direct spoilers, my 3 laugh-out-loud moments were a prominent flat-earther using GPS, another one staring at the 2017 eclipse with no glasses and a motorcycle with light-up crystals. I remember the guy harassing a Nasa employee at Starbucks making the rounds on Facebook a while back, and I was surprised to see he's featured in the program. This is the feel-good movie of the year. Not being one of these idiots feels good.

Mine was:

(click to show/hide)

Oh and:

(click to show/hide)
#non-belief denialist

personate-rain