Author Topic: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix  (Read 3428 times)

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 02:31:10 PM »
Were you referring to the guy watching the eclipse with those disposable paper eclipse glasses? Some of those kinds of glasses are certified safe. I have some of those back at home somewhere.

Yes, but there's a shot of him looking directly at the sun without glasses during the totality. I guess it was safe now that I think about it since he was in Oregon but when I saw it I burst out laughing.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 02:32:59 PM »
I just finished it. Holy Shit. Without direct spoilers, my 3 laugh-out-loud moments were a prominent flat-earther using GPS, another one staring at the 2017 eclipse with no glasses and a motorcycle with light-up crystals. I remember the guy harassing a Nasa employee at Starbucks making the rounds on Facebook a while back, and I was surprised to see he's featured in the program. This is the feel-good movie of the year. Not being one of these idiots feels good.

Mine was:

(click to show/hide)

Oh and:

(click to show/hide)

I missed that last part!

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »
I just finished it. Holy Shit. Without direct spoilers, my 3 laugh-out-loud moments were a prominent flat-earther using GPS, another one staring at the 2017 eclipse with no glasses and a motorcycle with light-up crystals. I remember the guy harassing a Nasa employee at Starbucks making the rounds on Facebook a while back, and I was surprised to see he's featured in the program. This is the feel-good movie of the year. Not being one of these idiots feels good.

Mine was:

(click to show/hide)

Oh and:

(click to show/hide)

I missed that last part!

It literally caused me to spit water.
#non-belief denialist

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 12:12:29 AM »

Mine was:

(click to show/hide)

Oh and:

(click to show/hide)

I missed that last part!

Now that you mention it, the screen was getting a little discolored when he tapped it. Touchscreens don't normally do that :P

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 04:44:32 AM »
I saw the film at a theatre a few months ago - it was part of the program at a local film festival.

It was introduced beforehand as being hilarious, but I just felt sad for the clearly deluded people involved.

The ending with the laser experiment was funny though. And the money wasted on the gyroscope tests!

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »

Mine was:

(click to show/hide)

Oh and:

(click to show/hide)

I missed that last part!

My first thought was, "How can they be so STUPID!?" And then I realized, "Oh, yeah: They believe the Earth is flat. <Sigh!>"
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 07:52:29 PM »
My first thought was, "How can they be so STUPID!?" And then I realized, "Oh, yeah: They believe the Earth is flat. <Sigh!>"

I'm not sure I'd call them stupid considering the technology and systems they demonstrate they are capable of using, the organisational capabilities to arrange conferences, record a live narrow cast, conduct experiments with technology, etc.

The most intelligent humans who've ever lived have believed in all sorts of wacky stuff.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 02:25:16 AM »

I'm not sure I'd call them stupid considering the technology and systems they demonstrate they are capable of using, the organisational capabilities to arrange conferences, record a live narrow cast, conduct experiments with technology, etc.

The most intelligent humans who've ever lived have believed in all sorts of wacky stuff.

Aside from intelligence being a hard term to define, I agree, these are not stupid people. These are mentally ill individuals who have not been diagnosed, namely because they are capable of finding other mentally ill individuals who believe in the same nonsense. This echo chamber allows these folks to not even consider they're paranoid and delusional.  This is a side effect of social networks' ability to bring like-minded people together.
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 02:33:36 AM »
I would be extremely careful about remotely diagnosing mental illness on the basis of a single documentary.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 07:12:34 AM »
I would be extremely careful about remotely diagnosing mental illness on the basis of a single documentary.

Me too. Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor, so can say these things.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:25:41 AM by Bill K »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »

Non-doctors should be even more reluctant to perform diagnoses that should be performed by doctors.

If you want to call them "crazy", do so. Don't start trying to say that they have specific mental disorders unless you know what you're talking about. And don't use "mental illness" as a blanket term for "crazy". That does a disservice by stigmatising those with genuine diagnosed mental illness.

Okay, I've said my bit. How about those flat earthers, eh? Are they crazy or what?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
Great little documentary.  The main subject's love of merchandising reminded me of Space Balls.  Table, clock, bumper stickers, etc.  Merchandising, merchandising!  Where the real money is made
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 01:39:09 AM »
Overall an enjoyable watch. I was expecting more overt "crazy," though. The only one who fit the bill was the blonde guy who claims he used to work for NASA and had a falling out with the others. He was a little scary to watch, frankly. The others I just found to be "off."

Of course, any scientist watching this will probably want to tear their hair out.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 01:49:37 AM »
Overall an enjoyable watch. I was expecting more overt "crazy," though. The only one who fit the bill was the blonde guy who claims he used to work for NASA and had a falling out with the others. He was a little scary to watch, frankly. The others I just found to be "off."

Of course, any scientist watching this will probably want to tear their hair out.

I would add the feller what bothered the NASA employee to the crazy list. That incident and just about everything else he said in the picture was insane.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »

Non-doctors should be even more reluctant to perform diagnoses that should be performed by doctors.

If you want to call them "crazy", do so. Don't start trying to say that they have specific mental disorders unless you know what you're talking about. And don't use "mental illness" as a blanket term for "crazy". That does a disservice by stigmatising those with genuine diagnosed mental illness.

Okay, I've said my bit. How about those flat earthers, eh? Are they crazy or what?

When did I mention a specific diagnosis? And I'm sorry but I'm not going to substitute "mentally ill" for "crazy" because that's your preference. Furthermore, I didn't stigmatize anything nor is that ever my intention. I'm sorry you feel I did.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:41:37 AM by Bill K »

personate-rain