Author Topic: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2019, 07:51:50 AM »
Are some flat earthers mentally ill?  Probably.  But that's because there are likely mentally ill people holding virtually every possible belief.

Are the people shown in the documentary mentally ill?  No, I highly doubt it.  Completely reasonable people believe all sorts of silly things.  I imagine if you encountered a normal every day Scientologist on the street, you wouldn't identify them as mentally ill or crazy and their belief system is even more crazy than just believing in Flat Earth.

One thing that I heard very briefly in the documentary, but which seems to bear itself out quite well is that by the time you get to believing in Flat Earth, you believe in pretty much every other conspiracy theory out there.  There is one famous youtube Flat Earther that recommends drinking your own urine to cure virtually any disease or infection.

#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
Would this then also apply?

Others may be reluctant to say it, but I will: People who seriously believe the Earth is flat there is a God (as opposed to people who join the movement for social validation or camaraderie or as a lark because they enjoy being silly) are completely bat-shit crazy. They are mentally ill. They are delusional.

I do think it's nuts (in the colloquial use of the term) to believe in God. But there is a big difference between belief in God and belief in a flat Earth: God in the western monotheistic religions is defined as being outside of nature and not subject to any of its laws. While I think this is "crazy," it is not a proposition for or against which there can be evidence. The shape of the Earth, OTOH, is a matter concerning which there is overwealming evidence all around us and easy to obtain. I mentioned an example up-thread: the island that at a remove of a mere 14 1/2 miles appears to be two islands because its bottom portion is hidden behind the curve of the Earth as viewed from a kayak on the water.

They imagine that their own "common sense" is more valid than well-established theories tested with scientific rigor.
Almost like an untrained person remotely diagnosing people on the internet with mental illness.

If a trained psychologist or psychiatrist were to examine these people and pronounce them mentally healthy, I would defer to their professional diagnosis. However, it would surprise me, as many of them exhibit pretty clear signs of mental illness.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
One thing that I heard very briefly in the documentary, but which seems to bear itself out quite well is that by the time you get to believing in Flat Earth, you believe in pretty much every other conspiracy theory out there. 
I stopped watching after 10 minutes.  I rarely waste my time with unrewarding nonsense. 
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »
What do you usually look for in a documentary?

I liked this one as a small window into a bewildering and utterly foreign worldview and culture. 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »

I liked this one as a small window into a bewildering and utterly foreign worldview and culture.
That's how I feel about most of the internet
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2019, 03:20:55 PM »

That's how I feel about most of the internet

This documentary really contains no new information pertaining to Flat Earth Theorists. It's more just a year-in-the-life of a few pillars in their community, revealing their thinking, possible motivations, and so on. I enjoyed it. But yeah, nothing new, and I understand not wanting to spend an hour on it.

I do think for the laymen who possibly have never encountered this fringe belief, that, nowadays seems impossible to exist, is a good primer. Some folks on Twitter who really aren't science enthusiasts at all really liked this.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:57:50 PM by Bill K »
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2019, 09:05:31 PM »
Are some flat earthers mentally ill?  Probably.  But that's because there are likely mentally ill people holding virtually every possible belief.

One of the issues is that conspiracy theories can affect the symptoms of mental illness. For example, someone with schizophrenia who experiences auditory hallucinations might interpret those hallucinations as the voices of aliens, or orbital mind control technology, or God. But you can't tell without them voluntarily undergoing a mental health assessment.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2019, 01:51:15 AM »

One of the issues is that conspiracy theories can affect the symptoms of mental illness. For example, someone with schizophrenia who experiences auditory hallucinations might interpret those hallucinations as the voices of aliens, or orbital mind control technology, or God. But you can't tell without them voluntarily undergoing a mental health assessment.

My aunt said her voice was a Native American who gave her advice. My sister's voice was a demon who kept telling her to harm and/or kill herself.

Both were diagnosed schizophrenics. My sister's voices were eventually silenced with medication before she did any permanent harm to herself.

She does still have weird thoughts, which she has constant need to tell everyone in the family. Much to our shared annoyance. She has no filter of what is and isn't acceptable to be shared  ???

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2019, 02:17:49 AM »

My aunt said her voice was a Native American who gave her advice. My sister's voice was a demon who kept telling her to harm and/or kill herself.

Both were diagnosed schizophrenics. My sister's voices were eventually silenced with medication before she did any permanent harm to herself.

She does still have weird thoughts, which she has constant need to tell everyone in the family. Much to our shared annoyance. She has no filter of what is and isn't acceptable to be shared  ???

It can certainly be hard to have someone diagnosed with mental illness in the family.

Incidentally, just so it's out there, my knowledge of mental health comes from a 15-year close relationship with a person who has been diagnosed with Bipolar II and PTSD. She works in mental illness education, is on the board of several independent bodies, and speaks regularly at mental health conferences. She is studying for her Master's in mental health policy and is writing her thesis on the failure of the NDIS to cater for the needs of mental health patients. I've read her preliminary essay on this and it's fascinating. So now you know where I'm coming from. :)
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline skepticahjumma

• Off to a Start
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
I'm not sure a thread regarding the spectacle of Flat Earth lunacy is the best place for an ableism derail

Lunacy.

I see what you did there. Nice one.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
I’m comfortable saying Mr. Thompson needs help.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
Were you referring to the guy watching the eclipse with those disposable paper eclipse glasses? Some of those kinds of glasses are certified safe. I have some of those back at home somewhere.

Yes, but there's a shot of him looking directly at the sun without glasses during the totality. I guess it was safe now that I think about it since he was in Oregon but when I saw it I burst out laughing.

I’m not sure what his being in Oregon has to do with it; it is always safe to look at the sun without protection during totality.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »
Were you referring to the guy watching the eclipse with those disposable paper eclipse glasses? Some of those kinds of glasses are certified safe. I have some of those back at home somewhere.

Yes, but there's a shot of him looking directly at the sun without glasses during the totality. I guess it was safe now that I think about it since he was in Oregon but when I saw it I burst out laughing.

I’m not sure what his being in Oregon has to do with it; it is always safe to look at the sun without protection during totality.

Oregon was in the totality's path, therefore he could look w/o shades.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 03:39:26 PM »

Oregon was in the totality's path, therefore he could look w/o shades.

Yeah, but he didn't know that.  :D
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
I watched it. I came away thinking that it was more romcom (Boy conspiracy theorist meets girl conspiracy theorist, they start a podcast, boy falls for girl, girl doesn't quite fall for boy) than it should have been, but hey.

I want to see a follow-up, where the guys with the gyroscope try harder to incorporate their findings with their beliefs, and where the guys with the lasers on the lake do the same. It could become very inspirational.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain
personate-rain