Author Topic: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix  (Read 3251 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Behind the Curve - flat earth documentary on Netflix
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »
The only thing flat-Earthers need to fear is sphere itself!

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »

I want to see a follow-up, where the guys with the gyroscope try harder to incorporate their findings with their beliefs, and where the guys with the lasers on the lake do the same. It could become very inspirational.

The follow-up is YouTube drama, as usual...
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
I watched it. I came away thinking that it was more romcom (Boy conspiracy theorist meets girl conspiracy theorist, they start a podcast, boy falls for girl, girl doesn't quite fall for boy) than it should have been, but hey.

I want to see a follow-up, where the guys with the gyroscope try harder to incorporate their findings with their beliefs, and where the guys with the lasers on the lake do the same. It could become very inspirational.

It was really a bit of a rom-com. I think you got that right. But one with an unhappy ending. Poor Mark Sargent. Even his mother didn't seem particularly convinced that he has all his marbles. By all accounts, he's a nice enough guy.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »
On a side note, I'd really wish that "How many straight lines does it take to make a circle?" guy at the beach would ask me.

Because the answer is "one", and the beach is the perfect place to prove it.

"Go to a long beach and look out at the water to the horizon. The horizon is straight, right? Look as far left as you can and still see the horizon over the water. Now slowly turn to the right and keep looking at the horizon until something gets in your way. The horizon stays totally straight and flat that entire time.

"Now imagine you're on a tiny island way out in the middle of the ocean, like one of those desert islands cartoonists draw. Look straight out in front of you. Straight, flat horizon still, right? Now slowly spin in place. You will see the entire horizon, perfectly straight and perfectly flat, all the way around until you have made an entire rotation. 360 degrees of straight, flat horizon.

"So what shape does that horizon have to be in? A circle, right? There you go. You only need one straight line to make a circle."
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »
On a side note, I'd really wish that "How many straight lines does it take to make a circle?" guy at the beach would ask me.

Because the answer is "one", and the beach is the perfect place to prove it.

"Go to a long beach and look out at the water to the horizon. The horizon is straight, right? Look as far left as you can and still see the horizon over the water. Now slowly turn to the right and keep looking at the horizon until something gets in your way. The horizon stays totally straight and flat that entire time.

"Now imagine you're on a tiny island way out in the middle of the ocean, like one of those desert islands cartoonists draw. Look straight out in front of you. Straight, flat horizon still, right? Now slowly spin in place. You will see the entire horizon, perfectly straight and perfectly flat, all the way around until you have made an entire rotation. 360 degrees of straight, flat horizon.

"So what shape does that horizon have to be in? A circle, right? There you go. You only need one straight line to make a circle."

Can the island be called Flatland?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »
The horizon doesn't look like a straight line to me. It looks curved. That curvature is even more pronounced when I was looking out from the summit of Humphrey's Peak, at 12,633 feet above sea level, one of only two times I have stood on a point from which everything visible on a clear day is lower in elevation. (Ben Nevis, in Scotland, was the other, but it's only 4,400 feet above sea level.)

The whole "ship disappearing bottom-first" thing is hard because a ship is small and the horizon is far away. I've never been able to discern the disappearance of a ship on the horizon. But I'd love to take a flat-earther to Molokini to see the whole island, and then take him to Olowalu, 14 miles away, from where Molokini looks like two islands because you can only see the two humps which are the highest parts of the island.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
I finally watched this.

One thing I really appreciated was how charitable the scientists were and how they shared Steve Novella's frequent comment about just how bad science communication and journalism has been over recent decades--taking the blame a bit.
It was great that they didn't make wholesale "stupid" "crazy" criticisms but mostly went after underlying causes of these weird pseudoscience beliefs.

Mark Sargent was interesting, as unlike the other flat earthers, seemed to have much more of an easy rapport and clear communication, which I think is part of what made him (rather than that screaming guy Matt) the "leader' of the movement.

Sad that any of the experiments that they use that shoot down their theory are immediately explained away.  A good illustration on how bad science is created.

On what basis was Mark Sargent claiming that one shouldn't see Seattle from his vantage point? Is he thinking the globe as described by science is very small?

Of course he was making this claim with zero danger of someone explaining it to him.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:45:50 AM by seamas »

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2019, 02:46:23 PM »
You Are Not So Smart just interviewed the documentary makers of Behind The Curve.  It's pretty good.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2019, 12:01:19 AM »
In my queue after two eps of The Life Scientific.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain