Author Topic: Objective Unbiased News source  (Read 2146 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Objective Unbiased News source
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
I once wrote a short story about a crazy man who had come into a lot of money and wanted to be respected, so he set up a newspaper, and hired a bunch of young new journalism students to run it, and then gave them free rein, leaving editorial policy entirely to them. The only thing he required was that the newspaper was named after him, so that when it became a respected journal, he'd get the credit. The idea being that without an owner to set editorial policy, the paper would be unbiased.

I doubt that would be the case in real life. The nice thing about writing fiction is that it doesn't have to go the way real life goes.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »
So.... No one wants to answer my ACTUAL question. They just want to tell me how my question is wrong. Typical skeptic attitude. This is why I am not a activist.

OH MY I JUST MADE A "SWEEPING GENERALIZATION"

Thank you for advocating for me Billzbub.

It's not just you guys. I have been really irritated lately by people's tendency to answer questions on forums by NOT ACTUALLY ANSWERING THEM AT ALL.

Surely some reasonable person here understands the SPIRIT of my question and will give me the ACTUAL NAME of a new source that they believe to be the most unbiased possible by the human brain. I will sort out the parts that I think may not be.

I suspect you asked your question knowing it was loaded. You're obviously not going to find any news source without bias. It is not possible - it doesn't exist, frankly. Anyhoo, instead, people are trying to help guide you through how to remain informed. Go with it, take and consider the advice, and implement it into your search for news, I think. :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:36:03 PM by Bill K »
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
There's a point I've heard Adam Carolla make the appears to be true.  If the news reports on a story or subject that you know well, you will see all the errors they make and it will drive you nuts.   This is true of me, probably of most of you.   Go watch or read a few stories by different outlets about a subject you know well.  They'll generally be wrong, often in the same ways but sometimes in different ways.  Then realize, that's the case with pretty much every story. 

The other thing to try is just compare the headline stories.  Often they'll be completely different stories getting airplay on different sources.  That's the more insidious bias, its not they're wrong or lying but that they think certain things are important and certain things aren't and you want even find out about those unimportant topics. 

I will end with a few anecdotes. 
1999ish.  The Sac Bee runs a story with the headline, "Our kids are scared!"  The story is about the annual USA Today poll of school kids and how they feel.  The USA Sunday insert in that Sac Bee ran the headline, "American Children feel more secure than ever." 

Recently my cousin posted a link to an NBC news story, "22 immigrants died in ICE custody over the last 2 years."  The article spent most of its time on the last two years but way down in one of the middle paragraphs they note that, approximately 12 immigrants have died per year for the last 15 years. 

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
There's a point I've heard Adam Carolla make the appears to be true.  If the news reports on a story or subject that you know well, you will see all the errors they make and it will drive you nuts.   This is true of me, probably of most of you.   Go watch or read a few stories by different outlets about a subject you know well.  They'll generally be wrong, often in the same ways but sometimes in different ways.  Then realize, that's the case with pretty much every story. 

Absolutely. This^.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 12:49:50 PM »
Claims of mainstream media bias are largely unfounded.

What about when they report information you don't like about the meat industry? That's when you accuse them of promoting vegan propaganda.

All news outlets have some kind of bias. As Ah.hell pointed out, even if they only reported raw data and exact quotes from primary sources, there would still be selection bias about which sources they use and which stories they report.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »
Claims of mainstream media bias are largely unfounded.

What about when they report information you don't like about the meat industry? That's when you accuse them of promoting vegan propaganda.

All news outlets have some kind of bias. As Ah.hell pointed out, even if they only reported raw data and exact quotes from primary sources, there would still be selection bias about which sources they use and which stories they report.

I accuse you of promoting vegan propaganda.

But for mainstream media, I repeat, claims of their bias are largely (not completely) unfounded.

The effect of any mainstream news bias is greatly exaggerated. The professional media makes a serious and conscious effort to eliminate or minimize bias, including (especially) selection of sources.

Even in the case of reporting these studies about meat and the environment. Their reporting might be wrong, they're sources may be biased, but the reporters make every effort to report the news with a minimum of bias.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »
Not all news outlets are as blatantly partisan as American news outlets are. The Australian ABC has a charter that forces it to remain nonpartisan in its reporting of the news, for example. There are a few others.

I have to say "Australian ABC" despite the RAS Syndrome to distinguish it from the American ABC, which is not even remotely related.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 01:40:04 PM »
How about this?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
How about this?

While I'd love for what the OP's asking for to exist, I'm not aware of anything that passes muster. And I'm a big honking nerd who's read a lot of news.

Also, that diagram doesn't even have The Financial Times.  If I had to pick the best news source, it'd be them.  I say this based on a subscription I had a few years back.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
How about this?

This needs to be updated. Natural News is extremely right-wing these days, has been for a while. It's basically Infowars at this point.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
I noticed that CNN, my daily news read, isn't rated so well on this chart.  So, I checked out the New York Times just now and found this gem:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/magazine/psychics-skeptics-facebook.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=The New York Times Magazine

It's about Susan Gerbig of Guerrilla Skeptics fame running sting operations on celebrity psychics.  Very nice.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
When it comes to the English language news sources, from what I understand, The Economist is considered a quality news source with a right-wing/market liberal editorial stance, and The Guardian is considered a quality news source with a left-wing editorial stance
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
How about this?

This needs to be updated. Natural News is extremely right-wing these days, has been for a while. It's basically Infowars at this point.

and move CNN to the left to skews liberal and almost hyper partisan, barely reputable IMO.

I'll stick to ABC and Reuters for fair news.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »

NPR's usually pretty good.  Keep in mind they're center-right pro-corporate.

you've said this before and last time all you produced was an editorial, what are biasing this on?

personate-rain