Author Topic: Episode #712  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #712
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »
What’s the Word: Plenum; News Items: Expanded DNA Code, Quark Matter, Ancient Mobility, OneWeb Flies, Signature of Consciousness; Who’s That Noisy; Name That Logical Fallacy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #712
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 07:52:30 PM »
The segment on DNA deteriorated right from the start, starting with the nucleotides being given as ‘adenine, guanine, cytosine and thiamine.  Not thymidine, as it actually is.

Nucleotides aren’t letters.  They’re physiochemical structures with physiochemical properties.  There’s no letters of a genetic code.  It’s more like a cipher or a language.  Thymidine is a cipher, part of a language, for a physiochemical structure.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline noswonky

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:16:03 AM »
Anyone got a link for the John Oliver segment on psychics?

Edit: Found it.

https://www.hbo.com/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver/2019/92-episode-151
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:18:51 AM by noswonky »

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 07:41:34 AM »
Ku band (Kay Yu) is subject to rain fade, Ka more so. Wonder how they'll deliver reliable satellite internet to the ground on those frequencies in wet climates.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 02:02:10 PM »
Ku band (Kay Yu) is subject to rain fade, Ka more so. Wonder how they'll deliver reliable satellite internet to the ground on those frequencies in wet climates.

I get Pay TV using a KU Band satellite dish. I live in a wet climate (Average 2.5 metres + [100 inches] of rain per year & rain on 250+ days a year)

The only time the signal drops out is when we get thick storm cloud cover and it is really pissing down hard. It is for only short periods (a few minutes) on a few days a year.

Offline sjdorst

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
Regarding the word: Plenum

It's use in the construction industry is NOT dependent on higher than atmospheric (positive) pressure. It's used to describe any space that is used for air handling. And return air ducts/plenums are most often at slightly lower pressure than atmospheric. The return air is usually driven by a central fan that pulls air through the return air ducts (although in very large buildings, there may be fans located away from the air heating/conditioning equipment that both pulls from the general surroundings and pushes to the HVAC equipment.

Plenum cable is a cable with special insulation that brings flame spread and smoke generation/spreading to almost absurdly low amounts, so that any cable that needs to go through a plenum, if it's near to catching fire, won't cause the air handling equipment to spread the smoke/fire.

The most frequent mistake that communications cable installers make in regards to insulation selection is not realizing that in some system designs, the entire space between a dropped ceiling and the ACTUAL ceiling functions as a plenum, so they run non-plenum cable throughout the building, get dinged by the inspector, and have to repeat nearly their entire job - with more expensive cable!

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »

The last time Starlink was mentioned the rogues said it was going to revolutionize internet for poor people around the world yet with no evidence of what the cost is going to be and we had the same thing again.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »
As far as I know, satellites are good for TV and downloading, but substandard for uploading and interactive use, because of the latency and usually very asymmetric connections.

https://www.talia.net/gaming-satellite-internet/

Maybe the point of it in this case was that it was going to be in a lower orbit. Presumably that opens up other issues.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:49:32 PM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
These new satellite internet services might make internet available everywhere on Earth, but making it available to every person on Earth will require that the poorest of the poor get free devices and free service. Clearly, these services are not going to provide internet to everyone. Only to everyone who can afford to pay for it. It will be a great boon to motorists and boaters. Airline passengers on over-ocean flights will probaly also be offered internet service (for a fee).
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »
You can always count on Daniel for the most pessimistic take on pretty much every story.

:P

If the satellite services work out, there will be some folks somewhere that have affordable access to the internet that they would not have had otherwise.  You can debate as to whether internet access is good or bad but it strikes me as hard to imagine this won't result in more equitable distribution of access. 

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 11:16:13 AM »
You can always count on Daniel for the most pessimistic take on pretty much every story.

If the satellite services work out, there will be some folks somewhere that have affordable access to the internet that they would not have had otherwise.  You can debate as to whether internet access is good or bad but it strikes me as hard to imagine this won't result in more equitable distribution of access.

In this case, ‘most pessimistic’ pretty much equates to ‘most realistic.’  They’re promising download speeds of up to 50 Mbps, which I doubt they’ll get, if the price is low enough for most people in the satellites’ footprint to afford, the system will be overloaded and I doubt they’ll get anywhere near to double digit download speeds.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »

Hey, internet access is great. But I'm just not stupid enough to believe the hype of every new company or product to come down the pike. They specifically promised internet access to everyone on Earth. Only a massively gullible person would believe that this company is going to provide internet access to people who cannot even afford enough food to keep their kids from malnutrition.

Some products/services deliver what they promise. Some don't. Any skeptic should be able to see that OneWeb is promising way more than they can possibly deliver.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 05:45:11 AM »
Hey guys, another good show in the bag.

A little bit more info on the "Whats the word", plenum.
As has been pointed out above, a plenum does not have to be pressurized above atmospheric.  In automotive terminology, a plenum chamber is a fixed volume of air which feeds individual runners to an internal combustion engine.  Usually, (but notexclusively) a throttle body controls the air entering the plenum.  In a Naturally Aspirated configuration, the plenum chamber spends 95%+ of the its time operating in a partial to 80% achievable vacuum.  The plenum chamber itself can serve a couple of differing roles.  1, supply even amounts of air to each runner, 2, enable the use of resonance within the system to have each cylinder 'breathe' greater than 100% of its swept volume.
  As plenums provide a fixed volume for the runners to breathe from, this only optimizes a fairly narrow rpm range at the neglect of 'out of resonance'.  What car manufacturers have done in the past 20 odd years is to combine 2 or more chambers, which can be joined or separated by means of butterfly valve.  This has the effect of having more that just one "sweet spot" in the engine tuning.

BTW, this weeks noisy
(click to show/hide)

Damien 
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
These new satellite internet services might make internet available everywhere on Earth, but making it available to every person on Earth will require that the poorest of the poor get free devices and free service. Clearly, these services are not going to provide internet to everyone. Only to everyone who can afford to pay for it. It will be a great boon to motorists and boaters. Airline passengers on over-ocean flights will probaly also be offered internet service (for a fee).
True but it will also be available to schools and libraries and community centers.

Through them it will be available to those who can’t afford their own devices. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »
True but it will also be available to schools and libraries and community centers.

Through them it will be available to those who can’t afford their own devices. 

And I did say that these services will be a boon to many people. But not everyone in the world has access to a school, library, or community center. My comment and criticism is just that they are over-hyping and over-promising. By contrast, I believe that Space X is promising that its network of satellites will be accessible from everywhere, not that every person will have the means to use it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

personate-rain