Author Topic: Episode #712  (Read 921 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #712
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »
These new satellite internet services might make internet available everywhere on Earth, but making it available to every person on Earth will require that the poorest of the poor get free devices and free service. Clearly, these services are not going to provide internet to everyone. Only to everyone who can afford to pay for it. It will be a great boon to motorists and boaters. Airline passengers on over-ocean flights will probaly also be offered internet service (for a fee).
True but it will also be available to schools and libraries and community centers.

Through them it will be available to those who can’t afford their own devices. 

And I did say that these services will be a boon to many people. But not everyone in the world has access to a school, library, or community center. My comment and criticism is just that they are over-hyping and over-promising. By contrast, I believe that Space X is promising that its network of satellites will be accessible from everywhere, not that every person will have the means to use it.

No argument there, I was just responding to the idea that they'd have to buy devices to for everyone on the planet. That's obviously an exaggeration of the issue.

Overhyped criticism is not a good response to an overhyped claim.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
I agree, they are likely overhypiing their product.  I still think your(Daniels) original post on the matter was a bit more pessimistic than just, "they're over hyping it".  But that's a minor quibble at most. 

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 12:21:11 PM »
They mentioned that tickets to the "Know Show" are now on sale online.  Does anyone remember where?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »
Anyone got a link for the John Oliver segment on psychics?

Edit: Found it.

https://www.hbo.com/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver/2019/92-episode-151

Rachel Dratch...lol

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 12:07:00 PM »
They mentioned that tickets to the "Know Show" are now on sale online.  Does anyone remember where?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-know-show-with-the-skeptics-guide-to-the-universe-george-hrab-tickets-57730231677

Thanks Tassie Dave!  Geez, the Lunch and LARP part is already sold out.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

personate-rain