Author Topic: Episode #713  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #713
« on: March 09, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
News Items: Fake Sex Doctor, Psychic Sting, Homeopaths in Honduras, Seeing Infrared
Who's That Noisy
Name That Logical Fallacy: Global Warming Edition
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #713
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
Regarding "Dr." Sendler, the soft sciences have been shown to be soft-headed again!

Edit:

JFC Cara defending Cortez' 12 year quote.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:58:35 PM by GodHead »

Offline PSXer

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »
How do you know the spirits weren't reading the Facebook pages and giving the psychic that information? Psychics vindicated again!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »
Actually, I think a lot about socks.  I wear merino, never cotton, and I have a range to suit my activities.  Skiing, cycling, climbing, farming, gym all require different socks and cotton actually sucks big time for all of them.  Maybe if I didn't do anything outside...
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
Actually, I think a lot about socks.  I wear merino, never cotton, and I have a range to suit my activities.  Skiing, cycling, climbing, farming, gym all require different socks and cotton actually sucks big time for all of them.  Maybe if I didn't do anything outside...
Always wear wool for outdoors stuff but just switched to merino for day to day and Im never going back!
10 times the price of the socks I usually get for feck all but actually worth it.

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »
Question arising from Science or Fiction answers: Are Americans allowed to use their mobile phones when driving?
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 06:48:42 PM »
Listening now.  Loved the hot-reading psychic outed by a, "Barium Meal Test":
A barium meal test is more sophisticated than a canary trap because it is flexible and may take many different forms. However, the basic premise is to reveal a secret to a suspected enemy (but nobody else) then monitor whether there is evidence of the fake information being utilised by the other side. For example, the double agent could be offered some tempting "bait"

Question arising from Science or Fiction answers: Are Americans allowed to use their mobile phones when driving?

There's no federal law so it varies state-to-state.

From the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) website (Source):
Currently there is no national ban on texting or using a wireless phone while driving, but a number of states have passed laws banning texting or wireless phones or requiring hands-free use of wireless phones while driving. As of June 2017:

• 15 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam ban drivers from hand-held phone use.
  • 38 states and D.C. ban all cell phone use by novice drivers, and 20 states and D.C. prohibit it for school bus drivers.
  • 47 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam ban texting while driving.
Some localities have additional regulations on distracted driving.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 07:24:07 PM »

I just got to that point.  It was just an informal characterization of sentiment (0:00 - 0:20 covers it):

('12 years' references a UN report)

I have a hard time getting worked up over it. 

Obsessively minding attack surface like a normal politician?

No upside with the opposition.  The opposition will attack and disbelieve regardless.  Whether they're using quotes or make-believe makes no difference to them.  The opposition won't care. 

Is there upside with the base?  Well, some.  Many people like the veneer and decorum.  Yearn for The West Wing, etc.  But AOC's casualized approach is probably part of her immediate stardom.  So, eh.  It's part of an approach that's working.

And there's a broader issue: The GOP's permanently attacking. This produces a chilling effect.  Should we internalize that chilling effect? I don't think this is productive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:30:34 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
Also, 'climate apocalypse' is within the range of possible outcomes.

Worst Case scenarios that could daisy-chain:
  • Worst Case #1: Current trajectory gives +2C in 2036
  • Worst Case #2: +2C triggers rapid slide to +4C
  • Worst Case #3: +4.5C triggers additional 8C via stratocumulus cloud deck failure
  • Overall Scenario: +2C by 2036 leads to +12.5C and that's beyond even 'Desert Hellworld' scenarios.
We need to do a lot.  Immediately.  (And watching us spin-up poorly-understood geoengineering programs should be fun)

Excerpt from #1:
if the world continues to burn fossil fuels at the current rate, global warming will rise to two degrees Celsius by 2036

Excerpt from #2:
A domino-like cascade of melting ice, warming seas, shifting currents and dying forests could tilt the Earth into a “hothouse” state beyond which human efforts to reduce emissions will be increasingly futile, a group of leading climate scientists has warned. [...] the Paris commitment to keep warming at 2C above pre-industrial levels may not be enough to “park” the planet’s climate

Excerpt from #3:
In the simulations, stratocumulus decks become unstable and break up into scattered clouds when CO2 levels rise above 1,200 ppm. In addition to the warming from rising CO2 levels, this instability triggers a surface warming of about 8 K globally and 10 K in the subtropics. Once the stratocumulus decks have broken up, they only re-form once CO2 concentrations drop substantially below the level at which the instability first occurred. Climate transitions that arise from this instability may have contributed importantly to hothouse climates and abrupt climate changes in the geological past.

And I just got to their, "pop songs are often pretty terrible," bit.

Just tell me this isn't about suicide bombers:

Lyrics:
(click to show/hide)

Offline zeldamcmuffin

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »
Yay! We got to hear Jay and Cara sing💕
It's high time for an SGU musical episode. Patreon goal? 🐶

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 12:40:53 AM »
The A.O.C. quote about 12 years was in reference to the UN Special Report on Global warming, which cites 2030 as when we will reach a tipping point (1.5 C), beyond which there will be catastrophic ecological consequences.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 12:49:25 AM »
I was appalled that there was a whole segment on a fake sexologist duping the media, without any reference to how "Dr." Marty Klein fooled the SGU.

Klein is a "sexologist" who has misrepresented his credentials and used relentless self-promotion to convince media outlets that he is an expert. He was interviewed twice on the SGU and spoke at NECSS.

The story reported on this episode was more egregious than Klein, but I still found it bizarre that the SGU didn't mention the latter.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 01:26:27 AM »
And I just got to their, "pop songs are often pretty terrible," bit.

Just tell me this isn't about suicide bombers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

No, that's pretty much it. Some type of spectacular suicide, and then all that's left is the pollution.

Although she should be credited for using CGI fireworks in the video. We don't need to blow things up to produce fireworks anymore, we could do it with augmented reality, if not just showing it on the giant screens.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 04:13:16 AM »

I'm glad she did, otherwise that would've been an unbalanced take on that statement. Saying that the world is going to end in 12 years is hyperbole, it's imprecise, and we could probably do better, but it's also understandable in context.

What is the best shorthand to describe that the vast majority of people are going to be pretty much utterly screwed if we don't start doing a whole lot of something about it in a very short amount of time?

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 04:37:38 AM »
it's also understandable in context.

And her casualized approach resonates so, eh.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:46:28 AM by Soldier of FORTRAN »

personate-rain