Author Topic: Episode #713  (Read 2727 times)

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Episode #713
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
As a follow-up to the homeopathy item:  The Canadian government announced a few days ago that it will cease funding of this homeopathy program. It seems that the previous federal government (conservative) signed a 5 year deal with Terre Sans Frontieres (the homeopathy group) to send homeopaths to Honduras. The current government (liberal) announced that it will not renew the deal.
But there is a federal election in Canada later this year and the conservatives are currently slightly ahead of the liberals in polling.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
Also, 'climate apocalypse' is within the range of possible outcomes.

Worst Case scenarios that could daisy-chain:
  • Worst Case #1: Current trajectory gives +2C in 2036
  • Worst Case #2: +2C triggers rapid slide to +4C
  • Worst Case #3: +4.5C triggers additional 8C via stratocumulus cloud deck failure
  • Overall Scenario: +2C by 2036 leads to +12.5C and that's beyond even 'Desert Hellworld' scenarios.
We need to do a lot.  Immediately.  (And watching us spin-up poorly-understood geoengineering programs should be fun)

Excerpt from #1:
if the world continues to burn fossil fuels at the current rate, global warming will rise to two degrees Celsius by 2036

Excerpt from #2:
A domino-like cascade of melting ice, warming seas, shifting currents and dying forests could tilt the Earth into a “hothouse” state beyond which human efforts to reduce emissions will be increasingly futile, a group of leading climate scientists has warned. [...] the Paris commitment to keep warming at 2C above pre-industrial levels may not be enough to “park” the planet’s climate

Excerpt from #3:
In the simulations, stratocumulus decks become unstable and break up into scattered clouds when CO2 levels rise above 1,200 ppm. In addition to the warming from rising CO2 levels, this instability triggers a surface warming of about 8 K globally and 10 K in the subtropics. Once the stratocumulus decks have broken up, they only re-form once CO2 concentrations drop substantially below the level at which the instability first occurred. Climate transitions that arise from this instability may have contributed importantly to hothouse climates and abrupt climate changes in the geological past.

And I just got to their, "pop songs are often pretty terrible," bit.

Just tell me this isn't about suicide bombers:

Lyrics:
(click to show/hide)

Meh.

If you want music (videos) about climate change/the environment, there are better options that Katy Perry's plastic bags. And these are neither pop, rap, nor hiphop.

(Note: The first video does contain some anti-GMO nonsense, as well as some questionable statistics.)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
On the topic of socks, I suffer from eczema that affects primarily my feet, and I discovered long ago that I cannot wear socks made from synthetic fibers. Generally I have always worn socks that are at least 80% cotton, preferably 85%. I have recently discovered that I can wear light wool socks as long as they do not have a significant synthetic component, but I tried some 70-30 wool blend socks two weeks ago and am now applying an ointment that costs about $300/oz to my feet twice a day.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:33 PM »
Why is everyone talking about socks? I don't remember anything about socks.

Oh... it must have been an ad. Never mind.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 04:55:13 AM »

Another ad that rhetorically questions an audience of skeptics if they ever think about something.

I have noted that Steve said:

We also have a standing offer to our listeners, if we ever reach 4% premium membership (this is averaged, so higher memberships count for more) we will drop the ads. We are at about 2% now.4% seems reasonable to us.

But I forget if we got an update on what that means for the new membership structure. It's not in their Patreon list. How much closer are we to it now?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:55:46 AM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »
... Just tell me this isn't about suicide bombers:

(click to show/hide)

I know nothing about the singer. I am grateful to Soldier of FORTRAN for posting the lyrics so I didn't have to listen to the music.

I disagree that the above must be about suicide bombing. I will retract this opinion if the singer is known for that sort of thing. But I'm reminded of the old civil rights song, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine..." I'd not have used the reference to fireworks, but I can certainly see how someone might want to substitute "fireworks" for "this little light." Especially if she has an inflated opinion of her own value. The civil rights activists saw themselves as a collection of little lights. The singer might think she's a big light.

I can see how one might make the connection to suicide bombing, but I don't think that's the only valid interpretation of the lyrics as printed. Again, if this singer is known for violent lyrics or references to suicide, I'm willing to change my imterpretation.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 12:59:07 PM »
... Just tell me this isn't about suicide bombers:

(click to show/hide)

I know nothing about the singer. I am grateful to Soldier of FORTRAN for posting the lyrics so I didn't have to listen to the music.

I disagree that the above must be about suicide bombing. I will retract this opinion if the singer is known for that sort of thing. But I'm reminded of the old civil rights song, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine..." I'd not have used the reference to fireworks, but I can certainly see how someone might want to substitute "fireworks" for "this little light." Especially if she has an inflated opinion of her own value. The civil rights activists saw themselves as a collection of little lights. The singer might think she's a big light.

I can see how one might make the connection to suicide bombing, but I don't think that's the only valid interpretation of the lyrics as printed. Again, if this singer is known for violent lyrics or references to suicide, I'm willing to change my imterpretation.

I think the lyrics are simply about someone wanting to start afresh in a new place. Not exactly a rare feeling, or a rare theme in songs. No connection to suicide.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 02:25:24 PM »

The ads are often the best part of the podcast.  Jus saying'.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:18 PM »

No, they're not.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 11:57:01 PM »
I would never buy socks based on a podcast ad. I know what kind of socks I like, and ads are by definition messages the seller has paid someone to throw in your face. I can't believe that a skeptics podcast would be fertile ground for advertising. If the rogues are doing their job properly, none of their listeners would ever buy anything they advertised unless it was a product they already liked.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 01:49:02 AM »

No, they're not.

That would be a matter of opinion.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:10 AM »

No, they're not.

That would be a matter of opinion.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the only reason I pay for the premium feed is so that I don't get ads. No-one is ever on the Discord when I'm able to log on (which is one reason why I prefer the forum), and while the premium content is nice, I wouldn't be too upset to not get it, and I can't afford to travel so I can't get discount tickets to NECSS. No ads is worth paying for.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »

Another ad that rhetorically questions an audience of skeptics if they ever think about something.

I have noted that Steve said:

We also have a standing offer to our listeners, if we ever reach 4% premium membership (this is averaged, so higher memberships count for more) we will drop the ads. We are at about 2% now.4% seems reasonable to us.

But I forget if we got an update on what that means for the new membership structure. It's not in their Patreon list. How much closer are we to it now?

If the listenership is increasing, which it does, from what I understand, then 2% of that is also increasing.

I heard quite a while back that they have about 300 000 weekly downloads (it is probably more now), which would mean that 2% equal about 6 000 Patreon supporters.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »
Right, but I doubt he meant that the requirement would increase with the listenership. Unless their costs are only based on how many listeners they have.

personate-rain