Author Topic: Episode #713  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #713
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2019, 04:08:52 PM »
There's a whole other thread somewhere with opinions about the ads.

If 4% still means 4%, okay, but it seems weird to me that they could have a significant increase in regular payments and be further off from the goal if the relative increase in listenership is greater. How much are they spending on bandwidth vs. equipment, events, and feeding Jay?

Why do you feel like you need to see that information?
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
You would probably not believe how significant their bandwidth costs just to deliver the show are.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »
Not that I expect them to share this, but I think the overhead and revenue would be interesting.

Especially:
  • Average cost per listener -- overall and per new episode
  • Average revenue per listener (w/ breakdown) -- overall and per new episode
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2019, 05:06:37 PM »
If 4% still means 4%, okay, but it seems weird to me that they could have a significant increase in regular payments and be further off from the goal if the relative increase in listenership is greater. How much are they spending on bandwidth vs. equipment, events, and feeding Jay?

I agree with Soldier of FORTRAN that it would be interesting. But only as a curiosity. If I like a podcast enough that I'd feel bad if it went away, AND if I don't have reason to dislike the person(s) making the show, then I donate.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »
"Basically I have this very morbid idea . . . when I pass, I want to be put into a firework and shot across the sky over the Santa Barbara Ocean as my last hurrah. I want to be a firework, both living and dead. My boyfriend showed me a paragraph out of Jack Kerouac's book 'On the Road,' about people that are buzzing and fizzing and full of life and never say a commonplace thing. They shoot across the sky like a firework and make people go, 'Ahhh.' I guess that making people go 'ahhh' is kind of like my motto."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/957236/katy-perry-the-billboard-cover-story

Oh yeah, totally joking.  I was  picking up on death imagery.  Then I thought, "holy shit this low-key maps to suicide bombing," and the song's been hilarious ever since.  Then I looked up the video and it's got people shooting fireworks from their bodies everywhere
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »
Steve,

The song you mentioned that was about abuse was "We Are Young" by Fun.  It's a great song, if not disturbing.  I immediately knew which song you meant because I had the same reaction upon a close listen.  When I pointed it out to my kids, they initially denied it's clear descriptions of abuse, because they love the song.  Eventually they came around, when we discussed narrative pov vs a writers real actions.

Lyrics for reference.  They are dark - especially for an anthem.
Give me a second I
I need to get my story straight
My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State
My lover she's waiting for me just across the bar
My seat's been taken by some sunglasses asking about a scar, and
I know I gave it to you months ago
I know you're trying to forget
But between the drinks and subtle things
The holes in my apologies, you know
I'm trying hard to take it back

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline eskalber

• Brand New
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 03:07:59 PM »
I wrote the following letter to Steven Novella:
I really enjoy your "name the logical fallacy" segment on the SGU. I wish it was on every episode. You did a pretty good job with the TJD's climate denier letter, but I take exception to the way you handled the AOC quote.

TJD wrote "AOC is screeching we only have 12 years before we all die".

Right out of the gate, that's an ad hominem. Her intonation has nothing to do with the argument. It's also a lie as the video shows her to be quite calm, speaking in a low and soothing voice.

You criticized AOC's communication at length while citing an actual AOC quote: "the world is going to end in 12 years if we don't address climate change". When pressed, you expanded a little: "she and other young Americans fear 'the world is going to end in 12 years if we don't address climate change'".

Let me offer a more complete version of the quote:

"I think the part of that that IS generational is that millennials and gen Z and all these folks that come after us are looking up, and we're like 'the world is going to end in 12 years if we don't address climate change' and your biggest issue is how are we going to pay for it? And like this is our WWII and I think for younger people we're looking at this and we're like how are we saying 'let's take it easy' when 3,000 Americans died last year".

Do you really think this hurts the cause? She's talking about big ideas like the end of the world (as we know it) and WWII, comparing them to small-minded "how are we going to pay for it". Whether you agree with her or not, I think the rhetoric is legitimate. I would point out that she never makes a scientific declaration that the world will end. She's talking about the concerns and fears of the younger generations. That's fair. That's human.

Finally, you criticized TDJ for using an out-lier like AOC to represent the whole planet change thing. It seems like you're doing a similar thing with AOC by excessively criticizing her one comment, which is not exactly part of her standard stump speech.

Not only ad hominem, but the use of "screeching" here (when she clearly wasn't) is pretty obviously a gendered attack. I actually stopped listening for a while after this episode because the choice of the listener's email and the way Steve chose to spend a HUGE portion of the episode's time criticizing an out of context quote with a slightly sensational tone from a politician in the Trumpian age of what I'll generously call "hyperbole" was laughable at best. If anything, that a listener felt like this "question" about climate change and a supposed logical fallacy would fall on welcome ears with Steve should be a warning sign that perhaps you're spending a bit too much time criticizing nuance around hot-button topics and thus unintentionally giving cover to people who would use the mantle of "skeptic" to disguise their decidedly anti-scientific views.

Anyway, I do understand the need to be careful with words in science communication, but as trusted voices with a trusted forum, maybe consider what is worth the full Steve treatment in terms of time and message amplification? You guys put out great content, so my little hiatus was obviously short lived (especially since I'm back at work post-partum with a lunch hour to fill!).

personate-rain