Author Topic: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore  (Read 1667 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
I was just thinknig about how weird life is..how there is stuff that can be central to your existence that just fades away..

I had girlfriends I swore I would love forever tha I later broke up with.
I thought I'd always care about the Knicks and basketball season.
I didn't think I'd ever to be live outside of NYC.
A lot of religious habits that fell away..

anyways,
just a very tired first monday after daylight savings time change post.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
I get this. There are things I would have very confidently gotten tatoos of years ago but im so glad i didnt!

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:47:12 PM »
Keeping up with pop culture - especially things like TV and movies.  30 years ago (when it was admitedly a much easier task) I would have seen at least several episodes of every sitcom, drama, anything on network TV.  20 years ago I would have seen every movie up for Best Picture.  10 years ago I would have seen some, and be culturally aware of the others.  This year, I don't think I could even name 2 of them, and I haven't watched a sitcom for maybe 8 or 9 years(?).  And I doooon't giiiiive a shiiiiiit about it. 

I've fully embraced the concept "there is more content than I will ever be able to enjoy", and so I just watch stuff I like when I feel like it, and don't worry about the stuff I don't get to.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
Keeping up with pop culture - especially things like TV and movies.  30 years ago (when it was admitedly a much easier task) I would have seen at least several episodes of every sitcom, drama, anything on network TV.  20 years ago I would have seen every movie up for Best Picture.  10 years ago I would have seen some, and be culturally aware of the others.  This year, I don't think I could even name 2 of them, and I haven't watched a sitcom for maybe 8 or 9 years(?).  And I doooon't giiiiive a shiiiiiit about it. 

I've fully embraced the concept "there is more content than I will ever be able to enjoy", and so I just watch stuff I like when I feel like it, and don't worry about the stuff I don't get to.
Same, but limited to Dragon Ball Z in 1999-2000.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 02:52:46 PM »

Same, but limited to Dragon Ball Z in 1999-2000.

google dragon ball z abridged.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »
Keeping up with pop culture

And a big one that is so not important to me that I didn't even think of it at first - Twitter!  For 5 or 6 years I was a really heavy Twitter user.  Quit it cold turkey last year, haven't regretted it or looked back.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 04:09:19 PM »
Music, I was a DJ on my college radio station, now I barely listen to music at all.

There's probably a bunch of other stuff but research shows we tend to forget that we once thought differently than we currently do, so I've probably forgotten that I used to care about stuff. 

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
Not that it was important per se, but thirty years ago I'd never have imagined that every lunch & dinner wouldn't include a chunk of meat; now it's usually just a bit part of a meal every day or two. A burger or roast beef sandwich, etc., is a rare treat. (Fortunately I love salad and vegetables more than enough.)

Weird that I can't think of any thing that was ever particularly important to me…

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
Keeping up with pop culture - especially things like TV and movies.

This was a big one for me too. Especially keeping up with popular music. When I was in my teens and twenties I used to pride myself on knowing artists and song lyrics. In my mid-late twenties I started getting into weirder, more obscure music like experimental improv, and avant garde jazz and classical. To this day I still follow some of the more artsy weird stuff, but my awareness of current pop music really fell off after the "Radio Disney" generation started coming of age. I've never had kids, so I was never forced to put up with that super-saccharine pop with the autotuned lyrics.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 04:02:54 PM »
Posting on message boards, sadly. I miss a lot of you all but I just don't have the time or the brain cycles to keep up here.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 06:40:08 PM »
I'm hard pressed to think of anything I used to consider really important that I don't still think is. My habits have changed and some of my tastes have changed and new evidence periodically changes my view of an issue. But things that were really important to me and no longer are, nothing comes to mind.

On the other hand, one thing that was not important to me at all before the age of 30 is now vitally important to me, and that is physical activity and exercise. But the change came about as a result of my understanding, around that time, that exercise is essential for good health. And then in my 50's I discovered hiking, which became very important to me, and I quit only out of concern for my safety as old age began to set in, and replaced it with paddling, which does have its dangers, but which is not more dangerous by reason of poor balance and coordination. Hiking has not become less important, and in fact I will miss it greatly, but I just feel that the risks have become too great.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »
Sugar and beer. And the Washington Redskins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 11:37:56 PM »
Reading books.

Basically the Internet has completely replaced all of the reading I used to do. I just don't have space in my life for just reading any more.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 03:38:26 AM »
Month long, hard climbing trips.  But, hey, I'm and old guy and a good day out is a good day out.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 06:48:23 AM »
Reading books.

Basically the Internet has completely replaced all of the reading I used to do. I just don't have space in my life for just reading any more.

If anything I read much more now than I ever did. Granted, half to two-thirds of my "reading" is actually listening to audiobooks.

Another thing that used to be important to me (at least I used to spend a lot of time on it) is watching TV. I hardly ever watch it anymore.

personate-rain
personate-rain