Author Topic: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »
I spent a huge amount of my free time playing EverCrack back in the day.  It was a central part of my late 20s to early 30s. I was also into stand alone RPGs and other fare to be found on Playstations.

Today, if you don't count Sodoku, MahJong or chess on a phone, I haven't played a video game in years.

Before Everquest, I played a ton of tabletop RPGs.  D&D, World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu, Champions, Shadowrun...and so on...
Today, nothing.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 09:09:33 PM »
I spent a huge amount of my free time playing EverCrack back in the day.  It was a central part of my late 20s to early 30s. I was also into stand alone RPGs and other fare to be found on Playstations.

Today, if you don't count Sodoku, MahJong or chess on a phone, I haven't played a video game in years.

Before Everquest, I played a ton of tabletop RPGs.  D&D, World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu, Champions, Shadowrun...and so on...
Today, nothing.

I was addicted to EverCrack for like eight years, so I know that feel. Then WoW came along and 80% of my guild went with it.

I have been lucky enough to find at least one solid roleplaying group every where I've moved to, though, so I still play D&D.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
If anything I read much more now than I ever did. Granted, half to two-thirds of my "reading" is actually listening to audiobooks.

I listen to podcasts rather than audio books. They take up all of my available listening time.

Another thing that used to be important to me (at least I used to spend a lot of time on it) is watching TV. I hardly ever watch it anymore.

If we're talking about commercial television, I haven't watched that for 20 years or more. For a long time I watched subscription TV (in America the equivalent would be "cable" even though I got it over satellite), but I don't even get that any more. I have a subscription to Australian Netflix, which isn't as good as American Netflix because of competition with other on-demand services. If I want to watch Stargate SG-1, for example, that's on Stan and I'd have to pay another subscription for it.

Most of my other passive entertainment is on YouTube. I watch everything on my PS4.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 06:39:22 AM »
Quote from: arthwollipot
I have a subscription to Australian Netflix, which isn't as good as American Netflix because of competition with other on-demand services.

Try using a VPN to an American exit point. Might need to search around for one that Netflix doesn’t recognize but I’ve used one for some time to use my Netflix to watch Star Trek Discovery on Netflix which is only available in the US on CBS All Access for another $10 per month. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
#non-belief denialist

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 07:58:26 AM »
Quote from: arthwollipot
I have a subscription to Australian Netflix, which isn't as good as American Netflix because of competition with other on-demand services.

Try using a VPN to an American exit point. Might need to search around for one that Netflix doesn’t recognize but I’ve used one for some time to use my Netflix to watch Star Trek Discovery on Netflix which is only available in the US on CBS All Access for another $10 per month. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Is that ethically any different from piracy?  Don't get me wrong, I've sat out of ST:Discovery because it was only on that shitty CBS service that I refuse to pay for and I have honestly contemplated torrenting the episodes.  But I do pay for Netflix and have a VPN...but it's technically not "allowed" based on regionality so using the VPN like that would somehow be akin to piracy?
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 08:09:12 AM »

Today, nothing.

I was addicted to EverCrack for like eight years, so I know that feel. Then WoW came along and 80% of my guild went with it.

I have been lucky enough to find at least one solid roleplaying group every where I've moved to, though, so I still play D&D.
Yeah, my guild slowly collapsed around that same time.  We were fielding enough people to raid the Elementals one day, then people slowly kept dropping off.  I was on The Rathe, which had mob rotations so we lasted longer than we probably should have.  Once they started merging servers, I had been getting really tired of tanking at raids anyway.  I probably would have stuck it out longer, but I started working on a data mining project that took entirely too much of my life and time and by the time that was over I just didn't have the energy to try to log back in.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
My wife is still making me play Everquest 2.  She is the guild leader, and I am one of the raid tanks for the alliance we raid with.  I really want to stop playing, but she enjoys playing it together so much.  #Firstworldproblems
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »
My wife is still making me play Everquest 2.  She is the guild leader, and I am one of the raid tanks for the alliance we raid with.  I really want to stop playing, but she enjoys playing it together so much.  #Firstworldproblems

I'm guessing this situation or similar is common among all world problems. 
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

I've got a similar situation.

I've been playing Stellaris every week with some old friends. The game has gotten really boring, and I mostly just sit on my phone while waiting for something to happen. But, I still like hanging out with the friends, at least for the 10 minutes at the start.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 09:51:06 PM »
Is that ethically any different from piracy?

No, it isn't.

And I do all my viewing (and everything else) on my PS4, and while it is possible to set up a VPN so that it can be used by the PS4, it's technical and complicated and I can't be bothered.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline Jeffrey Goines

• Off to a Start
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 11:03:09 PM »
Podcasts.

At one time I subscribed to 23.  A few were daily, most were once or two per week...I never fell behind. 

Now SGU is the only one I listen to.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 11:14:19 PM »
I also don't listen to music nearly as much as I used to.

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 03:20:16 AM »
Anime: I don't watch it as much as I used to. While others thought it normal to watch Hollywood movies or tv series with real humans, my guilty pleasure was binging on anime.

Soccer (football): I used to follow world cups, fifa and European championships religiously. Not too sure why I stopped caring to be honest.

Podcast: It takes monumental effort to make me listen to one nowadays. I have fallen behind on all my subscriptions sgu included.

Books: I used to be an avid reader of french literature but that practice has significantly died down. English has completely phased out french.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 03:07:06 PM »
Is that ethically any different from piracy?  Don't get me wrong, I've sat out of ST:Discovery because it was only on that shitty CBS service that I refuse to pay for and I have honestly contemplated torrenting the episodes.  But I do pay for Netflix and have a VPN...but it's technically not "allowed" based on regionality so using the VPN like that would somehow be akin to piracy?

It's nothing like piracy. I get pissed off with region blocking for no sane reason and have no qualms with bypassing their stupid laws and remember it's not illegal to bypass "terms of service" or to use a VPN to watch shows outside your area. You're only bypassing rules that the networks have made up.
The head of Netflix has even said he doesn't care if subscribers give their login details to other people. So they don't even care about their own TOS.

Books are my biggest annoyance. Why should I not be able to buy an eBook version of the book I want to read just because the Australian publisher hasn't given the book seller the right to sell it in that format. Crazy. I will change my location on Amazon and iTunes to the US or UK store to buy eBooks not available here. Technically it's not allowed, but I am paying for it and the author gets their cut.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, I do pirate TV shows BUT only for shows that I am paying for (I have pay TV, Netflix, Stan, etc) and only if the Australian TV channels delay the release here in Australia for more than a week (We can get shows months behind the US and UK). This is becoming less common. Most shows I like, I can watch, legally, a few hours after their US/UK release.

Like everything YMMV, but region blocking needs to disappear and the best way to hasten it is to bypass it.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 07:52:34 PM »

It's nothing like piracy. I get pissed off with region blocking for no sane reason and have no qualms with bypassing their stupid laws and remember it's not illegal to bypass "terms of service" or to use a VPN to watch shows outside your area. You're only bypassing rules that the networks have made up.
The head of Netflix has even said he doesn't care if subscribers give their login details to other people. So they don't even care about their own TOS.

Books are my biggest annoyance. Why should I not be able to buy an eBook version of the book I want to read just because the Australian publisher hasn't given the book seller the right to sell it in that format. Crazy. I will change my location on Amazon and iTunes to the US or UK store to buy eBooks not available here. Technically it's not allowed, but I am paying for it and the author gets their cut.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, I do pirate TV shows BUT only for shows that I am paying for (I have pay TV, Netflix, Stan, etc) and only if the Australian TV channels delay the release here in Australia for more than a week (We can get shows months behind the US and UK). This is becoming less common. Most shows I like, I can watch, legally, a few hours after their US/UK release.

Like everything YMMV, but region blocking needs to disappear and the best way to hasten it is to bypass it.

I get pissed off when people steal from us. Piracy is a crime regardless of how you want to spin it. I'll remind myself to just grab some stuff off your property if I am ever in your country. It wont be stealing because I feel inconvenienced.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

personate-rain
personate-rain