Author Topic: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2019, 02:18:43 AM »
I get pissed off when people steal from us. Piracy is a crime regardless of how you want to spin it. I'll remind myself to just grab some stuff off your property if I am ever in your country. It wont be stealing because I feel inconvenienced.

As I said, I pay for all the channels that the shows I pirate are on, so no-one is losing money I'm only getting them earlier than they want to show them.
The shows I do watch on free to air TV, Pay TV etc I record on DVR so that I can skip ads, so I'm not even watching their ads.
So you think it is ok for TV stations to delay the release of TV shows by up to 6 months, just because they don't want to air them now in Australia. By the time we get them they have been spoiled all over the internet.

I pay $120 a month for TV subscriptions. I pay for all my music (as I should). I pay for all my movies (either renting or buying)(again as I should). I wait 4 months to see movies as I don't have a cinema near me. I would never pirate a movie, even if I intended buying it later. I circumvent region locking to buy my books in a format that I want. I pay for all my books (as I should)
Most TV shows I like I can watch when I want. It's just the odd show here and there that get delayed and they are getting fewer and fewer as Australian station realise we want them in a timely fashion.

I would equate it with me selling you a car that is on my property, getting the money off you and then saying "Oh, by the way you can't have the car for 6 months. But the American who bought the other car, he can have his today". Then you coming on to my property and taking the car. You are technically trespassing, but you are only getting what you paid for, when you want it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:16:24 AM by Tassie Dave »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2019, 02:51:21 AM »
I get pissed off when people steal from us. Piracy is a crime regardless of how you want to spin it. I'll remind myself to just grab some stuff off your property if I am ever in your country. It wont be stealing because I feel inconvenienced.

As I said, I pay for all the channels that I pirate shows for, so no-one is losing money
The shows I do watch on free to air TV, Pay TV etc I record on DVR so that I can skip ads, so I'm not even watching their ads.
So you think it is ok for TV stations to delay the release of TV shows by up to 6 months, just because they don't want to air them now in Australia. By the time we get them they have been spoiled all over the internet.

I pay $120 a month for TV subscriptions. I pay for all my music (as I should). I pay for all my movies (either renting or buying)(again as I should). I wait 4 months to see movies as I don't have a cinema near me. I would never pirate a movie, even if I intended buying it later. I circumvent region locking to buy my books in a format that I want. I pay for all my books (as I should)
Most TV shows I like I can watch when I want. It's just the odd show here and there that get delayed and they are getting fewer and fewer as Australian station realise we want them in a timely fashion.

I would equate it with me selling you a car that is on my property, getting the money off you and then saying "Oh, by the way you can't have the car for 6 months. But the American who bought the other car, he can have his today". Then you coming on to my property and taking the car. You are technically trespassing, but you are only getting what you paid for, when you want it.

So it would be ok for me to steal a DVD as long as I plan on purchasing the same DVD 6 months later? sorry, thats 2 DVDs and yes we lost money.  The same principal applies to pirating a TV show that will appear on Netflix 6 months later.

Acquiring a file by any means other than a legitimate source is piracy and supports the continued use of piracy regardless of whether you already purchased the file from another source that you get to see in 6 months. You are still breaking the law (In the US, not sure in your country).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Also, the copyright in a title may be held by different entities in different territories. Region coding enables copyright holders to (attempt to) prevent a DVD from a region from which they do not derive royalties from being played on a DVD player inside their region. Region coding attempts to dissuade importing of DVDs from one region into another.

I understand you are not talking about DVDs but the same issue applies with TV shows. We are not getting our due royalties when you pirate the show.

As to the issue of regional coding itself I agree its stupid, It would be great if everything could be released at the same time and everyone gets their proper royalties from the start. I'm sure there are many legal issues which slow this process down that they will eventually work through. In the mean time you are stuck with the way things are and I think you are fooling yourself into thinking you are not stealing when you actually are. You must admit you are knowingly breaking the rules.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2019, 03:36:56 AM »
We are not getting our due royalties when you pirate the show.

Again, I am paying for all the channels and TV shows I watch. Whether I watch it in 6 months, or now by "alternate" means. I am paying royalties with my subscriptions.

As to the issue of regional coding itself I agree its stupid, It would be great if everything could be released at the same time and everyone gets their proper royalties from the start. I'm sure there are many legal issues which slow this process down that they will eventually work through. In the mean time you are stuck with the way things are and I think you are fooling yourself into thinking you are not stealing when you actually are.

You probably don't realise it, not living here, but Australians are treated pretty poorly by foreign media distributors. We are such a small market (Compared to North America, Asia and Europe).
It is piracy (which yes I know is wrong) which is turning around the TV stations. They know that releasing a TV show the same day as its US release will guarantee a much larger audience.

We now get some shows (including Game of Thrones) shown here at the same time as it is being shown in the US. It does mean that it is show late morning Australian time, but it is what we want.

I don't want to pirate the 4 or 5 shows I do. I would be prepared to buy those shows separately, if I was offered them in a timely fashion.

You must admit you are knowingly breaking the rules.

Yes, I know. I can justify it in my own head. As long as I pay for the channels I'm not taking money off a single person. It's a victimless crime.

I can't be held responsible for other pirates actually stealing media to avoid paying for it. That is stealing and a criminal offence.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 06:45:28 AM »
How about things like British Panel Shows.  Things like 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown.  Those don't play at all in my country.  Not available by any legal means that I'm aware of.  If I VPN to make it appear as if I'm in England and can watch them on a service that I pay for (like Netflix) I'm technically breaking the rules, but also still paying for the content.  What about watching them on YouTube?  The BBC (or Channel 4 or whoever) aren't posting those to YouTube and nobody is getting paid by me watching it there. Is that piracy?

Right now I still do pirate a few things.  Mostly problems with regionality or release timeliness.  As a cord cutter, there are a lot of networks/studios that don't give me a valid path to purchase their products until long after they are spoiled for me by casual conversations.  Some are getting it and make their stuff available on Hulu shortly after airtime, or their own website/apps (like the CW shows).  Hell, I pay for an HBO account attached to my Hulu almost exclusively for John Oliver and GoT, both of which I could pirate without any real risk and for free; so I'm willing to pay reasonable money for the product.  I currently pay Hulu, HBO, Netflix and Amazon...surely a deal could be struck.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »
We are not getting our due royalties when you pirate the show.

Again, I am paying for all the channels and TV shows I watch. Whether I watch it in 6 months, or now by "alternate" means. I am paying royalties with my subscriptions.

As to the issue of regional coding itself I agree its stupid, It would be great if everything could be released at the same time and everyone gets their proper royalties from the start. I'm sure there are many legal issues which slow this process down that they will eventually work through. In the mean time you are stuck with the way things are and I think you are fooling yourself into thinking you are not stealing when you actually are.

You probably don't realise it, not living here, but Australians are treated pretty poorly by foreign media distributors. We are such a small market (Compared to North America, Asia and Europe).
It is piracy (which yes I know is wrong) which is turning around the TV stations. They know that releasing a TV show the same day as its US release will guarantee a much larger audience.

We now get some shows (including Game of Thrones) shown here at the same time as it is being shown in the US. It does mean that it is show late morning Australian time, but it is what we want.

I don't want to pirate the 4 or 5 shows I do. I would be prepared to buy those shows separately, if I was offered them in a timely fashion.

You must admit you are knowingly breaking the rules.

Yes, I know. I can justify it in my own head. As long as I pay for the channels I'm not taking money off a single person. It's a victimless crime.

I can't be held responsible for other pirates actually stealing media to avoid paying for it. That is stealing and a criminal offence.

Many royalties are based on viewership. if you watch a show twice thats two views, if you pirate a show that view does not count. You are absolutely stealing and i'm already sick of arguing with you, you are a disgusting thief. 

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
How about things like British Panel Shows.  Things like 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown.  Those don't play at all in my country.  Not available by any legal means that I'm aware of.  If I VPN to make it appear as if I'm in England and can watch them on a service that I pay for (like Netflix) I'm technically breaking the rules, but also still paying for the content.  What about watching them on YouTube?  The BBC (or Channel 4 or whoever) aren't posting those to YouTube and nobody is getting paid by me watching it there. Is that piracy?

Right now I still do pirate a few things.  Mostly problems with regionality or release timeliness.  As a cord cutter, there are a lot of networks/studios that don't give me a valid path to purchase their products until long after they are spoiled for me by casual conversations.  Some are getting it and make their stuff available on Hulu shortly after airtime, or their own website/apps (like the CW shows).  Hell, I pay for an HBO account attached to my Hulu almost exclusively for John Oliver and GoT, both of which I could pirate without any real risk and for free; so I'm willing to pay reasonable money for the product.  I currently pay Hulu, HBO, Netflix and Amazon...surely a deal could be struck.

Now i'm starting to wonder how many thieves are actually in this forum.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 11:47:46 AM »

Everyone is a thief and/or criminal in one way or another.  You can play holier-than-thou all you please.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »

Everyone is a thief and/or criminal in one way or another.  You can play holier-than-thou all you please.

fuck you, its my people you are stealing from.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

I'm a software engineer.  My shit is stolen constantly.  You don't see me bitching and moaning.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2019, 12:02:06 PM »

I'm a software engineer.  My shit is stolen constantly.  You don't see me bitching and moaning.

oh yea, it competently justifies you stealing from me because people steal from you and you dont bitch.

Anyone else around here have an opinion on this, How about the mods.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »

oh yea, it competently justifies you stealing from me because people steal from you and you dont bitch.

I didn't say it justified it.  I said I'm just not up in arms about it and attacking people that don't agree with me.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2019, 12:33:59 PM »
edit: Nevermind, feels like a bit of a derail
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
Im starting a new thread so we don't screw this one up anymore.

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,51087.0.html

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »

It sounds to me as though he's paying for the shows. As for viewership-based royalties, using a VPN spoofs his location, but his view is still counted toward view numbers.

I agree that piracy is theft. But from the description, it doesn't sound to me as though he's stealing. The worst you could say is he needs a quart of milk but doesn't want to wait in the checkout line, so he takes the milk and runs past the line tossing the money to the checker on his way out.

I don't pirate shows, but then, I don't think there are any shows worth watching. I rent movies and watch Amazon Prime because it's included in Prime, which I already have. But there's no show I'd miss if it wasn't there. Certainly not enough to bother installing a VPN or looking for a free copy. So my lack of lawbreaking in this case is no particular virtue.

Again, piracy is theft, and Captain Video is right to be angry about piracy. I don't think what Calinthalus describes is piracy since he is paying for everything he watches. He's the wrong person to be angry at since there are people out there watching lots of shows without paying anything and making/selling/buying pirated DVDs.

Just my opinion, which I post because you asked for opinions.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2019, 03:22:08 PM »
Administrator Comment While we encourage debate, and I know some of these opinions are strongly held, directed insults will not be tolerated.  Anger can be expressed without name calling.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

personate-rain
personate-rain