Author Topic: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: things that use to be really important to you and just aren't anymore
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2019, 03:49:17 PM »
Administrator Comment While we encourage debate, and I know some of these opinions are strongly held, directed insults will not be tolerated.  Anger can be expressed without name calling.

Thank you

My curse word was uncalled for and against the rules

I apologize Calinthalus

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »
Administrator Comment While we encourage debate, and I know some of these opinions are strongly held, directed insults will not be tolerated.  Anger can be expressed without name calling.

Thank you

My curse word was uncalled for and against the rules

I apologize Calinthalus
We got heated, and I was more snide than I would normally like to be.  I apologize as well.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »
I agree what I am doing is wrong. But the Television industry needs to move into the 21st century. Treating Aussies as a third world country when it comes to distributing rights is bullshit.
Let me pay for what I want, when I want it. I'd pay a premium to do that. Everyone wins.

I may not be counted as a viewer of that program, but they are getting royalties of me with my subscriptions.

I pay $thousands for media content per year (Games, movies, TV, Books etc) and am happy to do that and pay more if needed.

All this holding shows back from Aussies is not new. Growing up in the 70s and 80s the US Fall lineup was shown to us in the Aussie Autumn (6 months later)
Aussie schools have their end of year long summer break over your winter. Shows went on hiatus for 2 months. Meaning shows that were already months behind were pushed back an extra 2 months.

Not a problem in pre-internet days, as we never got spoilt on storylines. I have to be careful what forums and threads I view now even watching my shows a day or 2 later.

As for viewership numbers. Anything on Free to air I'm not being counted anyway. My pay TV (Foxtel via Satellite) is always on and it's usually on Showtime (They have no idea if my TV is on or off,, so don't know if I'm watching or not)

You can call me a thief if you like. Water off a duck's back. I can sleep at night and hopefully once the industry matures to have global same day distribution deals, I won't need to do it.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 05:32:14 PM »
I don't care about removing small symbols of Christianity from public life anymore. I think the West is suffering from an existential crisis that comes from not replacing religion with anything unifying.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
I don't care about removing small symbols of Christianity from public life anymore. I think the West is suffering from an existential crisis that comes from not replacing religion with anything unifying.

I don't know what you mean by "existential crisis," but the countries with the highest World Happiness indices happen to be the least religious, whereas the most religious countries are generally poor and unhappy.

Here in the US, the rise of Christian dominionism is widening the rift in our politics, by agitating for values incompatible with the Constitution and our national culture.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:17:22 AM by John Albert »

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2019, 11:00:14 PM »
My friends and some family.

personate-rain