Author Topic: Does anyone know why Chrome behaved this way, and if it poses any security risk?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I had some strange issues with Chrome today. In the middle of surfing, for no apparent reason, it ceased to function. New tabs couldn't be used to do anything, and then older tabs ceased to function as well. I had to restart Chrome. This happened twice. Then it seemed to function normally again. However, there are still chrome.exe processes I couldn't kill.

Does anyone know what this is, or why it might be. It was preceded by (I guess) a regular update of Avast Antivirus, but there should be no connection there.

What I really worry about is if this was or is in any way a security risk. I was signed into my Gmail account the whole time during these episodes.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Most browsers, and programs generally, need to be reset at times.
Back in Windows 98 times, if you left a computer on for more than half a day or so, it would become unstable. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
For pretty much all my working life - since the mid-90s - I have had fewer problems with my computer than the people who work around me. Either I am preternaturally lucky with computers, or I do something that my colleagues don't. The only thing I can think it might be is that at the end of every day, I manually close all my applications and shut down my computer. That's the only think I do differently from others as far as I can tell.

I keep doing it because it seems to work. I don't know for certain that it works, but it seems to.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
I had some strange issues with Chrome today. In the middle of surfing, for no apparent reason, it ceased to function. New tabs couldn't be used to do anything, and then older tabs ceased to function as well. I had to restart Chrome. This happened twice. Then it seemed to function normally again. However, there are still chrome.exe processes I couldn't kill.

Does anyone know what this is, or why it might be. It was preceded by (I guess) a regular update of Avast Antivirus, but there should be no connection there.

What I really worry about is if this was or is in any way a security risk. I was signed into my Gmail account the whole time during these episodes.

This happens to me pretty frequently, and usually happens on sites with lots of ads. Probably an ad using too much memory locking up Chrome. It is almost certainly not a security risk.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
I'm rereading the archives of Questionable Content again (it's my soap opera), and I've found that this happens when I view the Archive page. It lasts for about a minute, then starts responding again.

See, this is another thing that years of customer service has taught me. Just because some piece of software is not responding now doesn't mean that it won't start responding again some time later. It's almost always better to wait for it to do whatever it's trying to do than to end task and crash out of it. Of course, it's impossible to say how long it's going to take before it starts responding, and people have shit to do and can't always wait an indefinite period of time. Sometimes it's just completely hung and will never respond, but you can't tell. Set yourself a maximum time you will wait (most things take less than 5 minutes in my experience) and don't crash out until after that time. You may end up being surprised.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
For pretty much all my working life - since the mid-90s - I have had fewer problems with my computer than the people who work around me. Either I am preternaturally lucky with computers, or I do something that my colleagues don't. The only thing I can think it might be is that at the end of every day, I manually close all my applications and shut down my computer. That's the only think I do differently from others as far as I can tell.

Yeah, that's a really big thing.  You're nipping the problems in the bud.  The difference between Linux and Windows (and even Mac) is that you virtually never have to shut it down.  My girlfriend's scientific computing cluster (which runs Linux, of course) goes many years between shutdowns.

That said, I find it hard to believe that you have never before had a browser freeze on you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:16:10 PM by jt512 »
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Now this seems to be a permanent issue for me. No idea as to why. Never had this issue before. Could it be the Avast update messing about? Or something else?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Ok, Chrome has officially gone bananas, it happens several times a day now. And it doesn't work to try to wait it out.

Is there any way to reinstall Chrome without losing its saved data?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
That said, I find it hard to believe that you have never before had a browser freeze on you.

Please see the post immediately preceding yours, in which I acknowledge that I have.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established

Yeah, that's a really big thing.  You're nipping the problems in the bud.  The difference between Linux and Windows (and even Mac) is that you virtually never have to shut it down.  My girlfriend's scientific computing cluster (which runs Linux, of course) goes many years between shutdowns.

So, why do you want to go home?  If that’s what you mean by ‘ich verstehe nur Bahnhof?’  You don’t like Hamburg?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512

So, why do you want to go home?  If that’s what you mean by ‘ich verstehe nur Bahnhof?’  You don’t like Hamburg?

Was!?

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established

Was!?

OK, so why have you adopted ‘ich verstehe nur Bahnhof’ as your signature?  Its usual meaning comes from World War I, when soldiers would use it to indicate that they all they want is to go home.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512

Was!?

OK, so why have you adopted ‘ich verstehe nur Bahnhof’ as your signature?  Its usual meaning comes from World War I, when soldiers would use it to indicate that they all they want is to go home.

The origin of the phrase was WWI.  But in modern lingo means you have no idea what is going on or what someone is talking about.  It roughly summarizes what I understand when someone speaks to me in German.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Now this seems to be a permanent issue for me. No idea as to why. Never had this issue before. Could it be the Avast update messing about? Or something else?

At this point, I'd suspect:
  • janky plug-ins
  • messed up advanced settings
Running windows?  If you're feeling really paranoid, you could open up a command prompt then run: netstat -a | more

netstat -a -> Displays all connections and listening ports
| -> Pipe.  Output from left used as input for right.
more -> Paginates results

At that point, get googlin'
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:58:36 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena

At this point, I'd suspect:
  • janky plug-ins
  • messed up advanced settings
Running windows?  If you're feeling really paranoid, you could open up a command prompt then run: netstat -a | more

netstat -a -> Displays all connections and listening ports
| -> Pipe.  Output from left used as input for right.
more -> Paginates results

At that point, get googlin'

In the situation I described above, it appeared to be something to do with one of the ad providers embedded on the page.

personate-rain