Author Topic: Does anyone know why Chrome behaved this way, and if it poses any security risk?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I tried to do the Chrome reset. It cleaned cookies, removed add-ons, but did not remove page history. Chrome crashed after 5 minutes.

I'm giving up on Chrome. It clearly doesn't work for me anymore. What good alternative browser out there could I pick?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
I tried to do the Chrome reset. It cleaned cookies, removed add-ons, but did not remove page history. Chrome crashed after 5 minutes.

I'm giving up on Chrome. It clearly doesn't work for me anymore. What good alternative browser out there could I pick?

Firefox.

But the only time I ever had a browser crash that often, it was because my hard drive was failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude

If a cleaned up Chrome is crashing on your computer, there's something else wrong.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster

I had a similar problem once that was solved by removing all add-ons extensions and plugins.  Once you reset is it reinstalling your saved settings from the cloud? I got rid of mine, left,  then came back and there they were again. There are setting to make this stop.

This may not be your problem but I thought I would throw it out there.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Something I found out:

I usually have a lot of Youtube tabs open, because I use Youtube to listen to music. Over time since these kind of crashes became a thing, I noticed that they seemed to correlate with too many Youtube tabs being open.

So I tried to have my Youtube tabs in Internet Explorer instead, not in Chrome, though otherwise I use Chrome like I have always done, for e-mail, forums, blogs, social media, etc. And it made a lot of difference. It did not solve the problem completely, Chrome is not quite up to shape to what it was before I started having this problem. But it has greatly reduced the amounts of these crashes.

Does this indicate or tell anything?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Something I found out:

I usually have a lot of Youtube tabs open, because I use Youtube to listen to music. Over time since these kind of crashes became a thing, I noticed that they seemed to correlate with too many Youtube tabs being open.

So I tried to have my Youtube tabs in Internet Explorer instead, not in Chrome, though otherwise I use Chrome like I have always done, for e-mail, forums, blogs, social media, etc. And it made a lot of difference. It did not solve the problem completely, Chrome is not quite up to shape to what it was before I started having this problem. But it has greatly reduced the amounts of these crashes.

Does this indicate or tell anything?

It told me that Internet Explorer was still a thing.  Who knew?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena

Everyone who works in a business or government enterprise.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512

What makes you think that?  Market share of IE is on the order of 3%.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:44:35 PM by jt512 »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena

What makes you think that?  Market share of IE is on the order of 3%.

Every environment I've worked in has been an IE shop. 100%. I count Edge as being IE, by the way, which those statistics might not. Also, my experience is limited to certain types of environments that do not represent anywhere near a majority of users, so I don't know what relevance the market share has to my comment.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Based on what I can find online, Avast might be the cause of the problem. Is there any other free antivirus you can recommend? From what I can find, Avast is really otherwise a very good free antivirus.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
Assuming you have Windows, just use the built in AV, Windows Defender.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:17:13 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
Assuming you have Windows, just use the built in AV, Windows Defender.

Yes, I have Windows, Windows 7. Will Windows Defender suffice? Whenever I de-activate Avast, Windows alerts me that I have no antivirus program activated.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
Windows 7 does not have Windows Defender installed by default.  You can install Windows Security Essentials to get it.  That said, it's about time to upgrade to Windows 10; EOL for 7 is in 8 months.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
It seems like my Windows considers Windows Defender to be anti-spyware, not anti-virus.

My computer is really old, from 2012. I will probably buy a new one during this year, with another Windows than Windows 7. ;)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
It seems like my Windows considers Windows Defender to be anti-spyware, not anti-virus.

I understand your confusion, because there have been two different applications called Windows Defender.  Prior to Windows 8, Windows Defender was an anti-spyware application and Microsoft had a separate antivirus application called Microsoft Security Essentials.  In Windows 8, the two applications were folded into one application, which received the Windows Defender name. Since you have Windows 7, you have to install Microsoft Security Essentials to get Microsoft's antivirus.

personate-rain
personate-rain