Author Topic: Love, Death, and Robots--Netflix  (Read 964 times)

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Love, Death, and Robots--Netflix
« on: March 16, 2019, 08:30:55 PM »
Love, Death, and Robots is a new Heavy Metal inspired animated anthology series from David Fincher. Thee are 18 fairly short episodes, ranging from 10 minutes to no more than 17 minutes. I was initially drawn to it to check out the three episodes based on stories by one of my favorite Science Fiction writers, John Scalzi. I normally do not binge watch, but since the episodes are so short and I happened to have a large block of free time this Saturday, I just finished the entire series.

First off, I have to say the animation for all the eps is OUTSTANDING in my opinion.  But I guess you should bear in mind that I'm an old guy who was raised  on traditional cell animation and I don't play video-games. Jaded Millennials may have  higher standards and not be as impressed. I found the CG animated episodes so detailed and the characters so life-like, I almost forgot I was watching animation and not live-action. There are also a few traditional cell animated episodes as well as one that mixes in live-action. 

It's early, the show has just dropped so I won't go into spoilers. I'll just group the tales into four rating categories for now. I discuss more details when more people have seen the show.

THE EXCELLENT 4-STARS:  "Good Hunting", "Shape Shifters", "Helping Hand", "The Secret War" Seriously, any one of these alone was worth my March Netflix cost. These are damn good.

THE VERY GOOD, JUST MISS BEING TOP-SHELF: "Fish Night", "Zima Blue", "Lucky 13" , "Suits", "Sonnie's Edge", "Blindspot"

AMUSING LIGHT TRIFLES: "Four Robots", "When the Yogurt Took Over", "Alternate Histories" (those are the Scalzi episodes) "Ice Age",

WORTHY EFFORTS BUT JUST KIND OF FIZZLE OUT IN THE END: "Sucker of Souls", "The Witness", "Beyond the Aquila Rift",  "The Dump"

All of the episodes are worthwhile viewing, in my opinion, and none are truly bad. Maybe the closest to being bad for me was "The Witness". I would definately be up for a second season of this. Check 'em out. I don't think you'll regret it.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:34:24 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: Love, Death, and Robots--Netflix
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:15:14 PM »
I just made a post about this show on the Very best TV shows, before I saw this thread  8)

I'm loving it so far.

BTW it is Three Robots, not Four  ;) That is my favourite of the 3 I've seen. I like the lightness and comedy between the 2 very violent episodes either side of it.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 05:13:48 AM »

BTW it is Three Robots, not Four  ;) That is my favourite of the 3 I've seen. I like the lightness and comedy between the 2 very violent episodes either side of it.

I confess I didn't watch these in order. I watched the Scalzi eps first, then picked and choose based on what interested me most from the descriptions.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
Good way to waste some time. Reminded me of Heavy Metal.
My Fav was Three Robots.

Helping hand bothered me. No way to get a perfectly good air tight seal on the arm. No way you'd be able to break it that way. Why the hell didn't she just toss the backpack? or do the Mark Watney 'Iron Man' Trick.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
Looks cool, my wife will be out of town a bit in the next few months and this looks like the perfect thing to binge on while she is away. For some strange reason she is anti adult themed animation, its so weird. This looks cool though.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:37:48 AM »
I haven't seen all of them, but there are definitely a few memorable ones, especially Three Robots and Good Hunting.

However, some of them, especially Suits and The Secret War (which also share some broad similarities) are way too video game-like.

I also have the nagging feeling that not a lot (if any) female writers and directors were involved, which would be a shame.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
I also have the nagging feeling that not a lot (if any) female writers and directors were involved, which would be a shame.

2 of the shorts were from stories written by women.
"Helping Hand" by Claudine Griggs and "Sucker of Souls" by Kirsten Cross
I haven't checked the screenwriters or Directors to see if there were more women involved.

There is a list on Reddit of the short stories that the episodes were based on.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LoveDeathAndRobots/comments/b1lbtx/love_death_robots_literature/

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
I found them to be very uneven, ranging from brilliant to trash, but they are all pretty short so it's worth checking out.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
I found them to be very uneven, ranging from brilliant to trash, but they are all pretty short so it's worth checking out.

I'm surprised that I hadn't posted here on it before (maybe in the general TV shows thread?) but my assessment was much the same.  The brilliant ones were worth enduring the trash ones.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »
The bad ones were quite bearable.

Offline Ishmael

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 08:15:39 AM »
The "bad" ones were only bad in comparison to the brilliant ones, in my opinion.  Is there any word about another season?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter Thompson

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
The "bad" ones were only bad in comparison to the brilliant ones, in my opinion.  Is there any word about another season?

Yes, it's happening.  Not sure when.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

personate-rain
personate-rain