Author Topic: How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?
« on: March 20, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
From one of Steve's recent blogposts: Sugary Drinks Linked to Heart Disease

Quote from: Steven Novella
Sugar-sweetened beverages are now a significant course of empty calories and excess carbohydrates. One 12 oz can of Coke or similar soda is 140 calories. If you drink 72 oz per day, which is a typical amount to drink, that’s 840 calories – every day. That’s massive. An average daily caloric need is about 2,000 calories, so you are already almost half way there. Even if you have just one can per day, that’s enough calories to equal 14.6 pounds in one year.

Note the part "a typical amount to drink". I checked what 72 oz is to litre, it is about 2,1 litre.

I drink maybe 2,5 litre of that kind of drink (Coke, Pepsi) a week, almost always the artificially sweeted one, i.e Coca-Cola Zero or Pepsi Max. And I feel rather guilty about it, thinking I'm drinking way too much of it. So it surprises me that, apparently, there are lots of people who drink about 2 litre of Coke/Pepsi or similar, on a daily basis, none of it with artificial sweetener.

Is this really the case? It seems incredibly much to me. Seems very unhealthy too.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:01:35 PM »
It seems crazy but yes there are those people.  I had a roommate that drank (2) 2 liter bottles of mountain dew a day.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:07:38 PM »
If the drinks are purely sugar free, I think the only issue would be caffeine.
Of course a single cup of coffee has the approximate caffeine of two diet sodas. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:15:14 PM »
I have gone almost a full year now without a soda.  Before I went cold-turkey on the stuff I was averaging 2 cans (355mL) a day - usually Diet Pepsi or Dr. Pepper. 
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
I think we had a similar discussion on another thread

I tried to cut back but cant find a suitable substitute. 

So far today I have had 4 cans of MT Dew while working on set, I expect to drink at least two more during my Slim Jim and cherry tomato craft services breaks.

At home I drink non caffeinated soda like orange, grape or root beer, probably 1-2 liters a day.  I also drink Kool Aid or HI-C.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
I drink 2.1L (6 cans) of diet root beer almost every day.  Occasionally I will replace one with a Diet Coke if I need some caffeine.  I think it may be bad for my teeth because of the acid.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »
Probably average 1 liter / week courtesy of fast food.

I mostly drink water and black coffee or tea.  My stomach and I definitely feel healthier for it.  My soda consumption used to be much higher.

I tried to cut back but cant find a suitable substitute. 

So far today I have had 4 cans of MT Dew while working on set, I expect to drink at least two more during my Slim Jim and cherry tomato craft services breaks.

At home I drink non caffeinated soda like orange, grape or root beer, probably 1-2 liters a day.  I also drink Kool Aid or HI-C.

How do you feel about La Croix?  Good substitute if you're after 'cold and fizzy.' 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
I went for maybe 3-4 years as close to zero calories from drinking as possible (diet sodas, water, black coffee, no alcohol).  I've relaxed a bit since then, enjoying the occasional dairy, juice, or alcoholic beverage.  I was consistently super obese before, during and after that period.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
I never drink soft drinks.

Two liters per day is incomprehensibly huge. Six cans! That amount is "typical," every single day? That's insane. You are addicted. You need help.

My liquid intake is 2-3 cups of black coffee daily at work, and water when I feel the need. (Tap water, by the way. Bottled water is a natural catastrophe and should be outlawed. But I digress.) Then, of course, a few pints of beer 2-3 nights a week, give or take. Some wine or spirits on occasion.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 04:21:28 PM »
I'm addicted to Pepsi Max (the Australian version). Artificial sweetener. Easily 3 x 375ml (12.7oz) cans/day, often more.

Last time I was in the US (2011) I tried some and it wasn't the same as ours.

It's the caffeine hit and flavour I like. I don't drink coffee, I don't like the aroma nor the flavour at all. Gives me a headache.

I think the issue with artificial sweetened soft drinks (which themselves have almost zero calorie content) is they tend to be associated with increased desire to consume other empty calorie foods or snacks.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
Then, of course, a few pints of beer 2-3 nights a week, give or take. Some wine or spirits on occasion.

That's insane. You are addicted. You need help.

;)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »
I am morbidly obese and have had one major heart attack.

I drink on average maybe 20oz (just short of 60ml) of soda a month, if that.

On a daily basis, I drink 20oz of black coffee in the mornings and water for the rest of the day (I have a water cooler in my house because my tap water tastes metallic).  Through the week I might have 1-2 beers and/or 4-5 mixed drinks (sometimes not mixed, just a dram of scotch in a glencairn).

The heart attack wasn't the cause of me dropping soda.  I quit drinking soda 4-5 years before the heart attack and it helped me lose exactly no weight.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 04:53:59 PM »
Then, of course, a few pints of beer 2-3 nights a week, give or take. Some wine or spirits on occasion.

That's insane. You are addicted. You need help.

;)
Yes I was aware of the irony as I wrote that. But drinking two liters of soft drink every day is quite different that having a drink on occasion (and socially). On the 4-5 days per week when I don't have beer, I'm not jonesing for a drink.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 05:41:02 PM »
I estimate six cans of diet soda per week.
Almost never have a sugar soda.

And I still have a hard time calling it "soda" instead of "pop".
Amend and resubmit.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »
I have one, sometimes two a day. Club soda, with a squeeze of lemon. No sugar, unsweetened, no other flavors. 
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.