Author Topic: How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »
Probably average 1 liter / week courtesy of fast food.

I mostly drink water and black coffee or tea.  My stomach and I definitely feel healthier for it.  My soda consumption used to be much higher.

I tried to cut back but cant find a suitable substitute. 

So far today I have had 4 cans of MT Dew while working on set, I expect to drink at least two more during my Slim Jim and cherry tomato craft services breaks.

At home I drink non caffeinated soda like orange, grape or root beer, probably 1-2 liters a day.  I also drink Kool Aid or HI-C.

How do you feel about La Croix?  Good substitute if you're after 'cold and fizzy.'

We had that conversation as well

La Croix tastes like...

if you were drinking carbonated water and someone whispers the name of a fruit in the next room

Someone just ate some fruit salad and burped in your drink

what we think gentrification tastes like

drinking sprite with a condom

when your actual drink is still buffering

Yuck!
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
I went well over a year caffeine-free and during that time I drank much less soda.  I currently drink way more Diet Coke than i want to, and I am looking to cut back. It wouldn’t be uncommon for me to drink over 2 liters in a day...but that’s all zero-calorie, of course.

When I was younger I drank regular Pepsi to great excess.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 12:04:25 AM »
Sometimes at the movies I have a root beer.

ETA: Does tonic count? I have a can of tonic about once a week (usually with gin). It helps with muscle cramping.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:06:33 AM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 02:04:10 AM »
2-3 Diet Cokes (12 fl. oz. cans) on weekdays. Up to 4-5 on weekends. I will occasionally partake in a Coke-Zero, and the even more infrequent regular Coke.

I buy a 12 pack of caffeine free Diet Coke just in case I want one after 5 pm.

What I'm eating can largely influence how much coke I do.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:06:33 AM by Boßel »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 06:47:13 AM »
Drink soda about 0.25 times a week, maybe.

I used to buy 1.5 liter bottles, because the 0.5 liter ones and the cans were ridiculously overpriced in comparison, so I wasn't really tempted to buy much soda on the go, I had enough at home. But ultimately I got tired of having so many bottles build up if I wasn't diligent in returning them, so I stopped buying soda. I'll have junkfood somewhat reguarly, but with water. I try to always bring a freshly refilled water bottle with me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:53:09 AM by 2397 »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 08:52:26 AM »

I used to buy 1.5 liter bottles, because the 0.5 liter ones and the cans were ridiculously overpriced in comparison, so I wasn't really tempted to buy much soda on the go, I had enough at home. But ultimately I got tired of having so many bottles build up if I wasn't diligent in returning them, so I stopped buying soda. I'll have junkfood somewhat reguarly, but with water. I try to always bring a freshly refilled water with me.

I miss return bottles and wish we would bring them back. I used to collect them for cash as a kid and for some reason I thought soda tasted better out of a tall glass bottle. I get the Mexican ones when they are available.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »
I would be surprised if I had one litre per month, and even that would not be regular consumption.

I am just not into sodas all that much, they don't even taste that great (except Guaraná Jesus before Coca Cola bought it and pumped it full of sugar).

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
From one of Steve's recent blogposts: Sugary Drinks Linked to Heart Disease

Quote from: Steven Novella
Sugar-sweetened beverages are now a significant course of empty calories and excess carbohydrates. One 12 oz can of Coke or similar soda is 140 calories. If you drink 72 oz per day, which is a typical amount to drink, that’s 840 calories – every day. That’s massive. An average daily caloric need is about 2,000 calories, so you are already almost half way there. Even if you have just one can per day, that’s enough calories to equal 14.6 pounds in one year.

Note the part "a typical amount to drink". I checked what 72 oz is to litre, it is about 2,1 litre.

I don't know what Steve means by "typical" nor where he gets the 72 oz/d figure.  The published paper states that average consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults is 145 kcal/d.  A 12-oz can of Coke contains about 156 kcal.  So average consumption is around 12 oz/d, one-sixth of Steve's figure.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 11:06:15 AM »

I used to buy 1.5 liter bottles, because the 0.5 liter ones and the cans were ridiculously overpriced in comparison, so I wasn't really tempted to buy much soda on the go, I had enough at home. But ultimately I got tired of having so many bottles build up if I wasn't diligent in returning them, so I stopped buying soda. I'll have junkfood somewhat reguarly, but with water. I try to always bring a freshly refilled water with me.

I miss return bottles and wish we would bring them back.

Come to Germany!  Returning bottles is a national pastime.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
I would predict that the distribution would have an average around 12 oz, but a couple peaks, one giant one at or near zero, and another smaller one at or near 72 oz.

If you subtracted from your population "people who drink little or no soda at all", the average would by definition jump up.  The word "typical" could easily be interpreted to mean either "the typical American" OR "the typical soda-drinking American".
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »
I would predict that the distribution would have an average around 12 oz, but a couple peaks, one giant one at or near zero, and another smaller one at or near 72 oz.

If you subtracted from your population "people who drink little or no soda at all", the average would by definition jump up.  The word "typical" could easily be interpreted to mean either "the typical American" OR "the typical soda-drinking American".

That's kinda' p-hacky, but o.k.

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »

Sort of, but it's also the only real way to talk about a distribution like the one I'm imagining.  In a distribution with one hump, "typical" would be at the peak of the hump.  In a distribution with two humps, there is no proper "typical" - 12 oz a week would not be a fair representation of the "nearly zero" sub-group, nor would it be a fair representation of the "much more than 12 oz" sub-group.  Since the discussion is about drinking soda, it is not that interesting to talk a lot about people who don't.  So, when you consider the people who drink soda, "typical" would reasonably refer to the peak of the distribution hump that includes soda-drinkers but excludes non-drinkers.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »

Sort of, but it's also the only real way to talk about a distribution like the one I'm imagining.  In a distribution with one hump, "typical" would be at the peak of the hump.  In a distribution with two humps, there is no proper "typical" - 12 oz a week would not be a fair representation of the "nearly zero" sub-group, nor would it be a fair representation of the "much more than 12 oz" sub-group.  Since the discussion is about drinking soda, it is not that interesting to talk a lot about people who don't.  So, when you consider the people who drink soda, "typical" would reasonably refer to the peak of the distribution hump that includes soda-drinkers but excludes non-drinkers.

Can you document the distribution you are speculating about?

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »
Absolutely not.  It is entirely imagined by me, based on casual observation and not at all on any actual data.  The discussion I'm having is mostly about how the word "typical" could be applied in a way that would be valid even through the discrepancies noted above.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »
Back in Spokane I have a soda siphon and I drank a lot of fizzy water, made from filtered tap water. Here in Maui we cannot get the CO2 cartridges, so I buy off-brand zero-sugar, zero-caffeine, clear uncolored, fruit-flavored, artificially sweetened soda, about two liters a week, and dilute it with filtered tap water at about a 1:5 ratio, soda to water. Sometimes I use Crystal Light, also diluted to about 1/5 the recommended concentration. I find that a bit of flavor helps me get enough water, otherwise I can get dehydrated, as indicated by concentrated pee.

One of the upgrades I'm going to do to my house when I get back here after I sell the old place, will be to have an under-the-sink RO unit installed. Those seem to work better to my taste than the Brita filter, and I don't need as much flavoring to get my necessary water.

I do not like the taste of cola drinks.

I also drink some diet ginger beer, maybe 3 a week on average.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain