Author Topic: How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
I have a coke (12oz or 20 oz)maybe about 4 or 5 times a week.

I switched from regular to diet coke about two or three years ago.

I also like root beer / sasparilla / birch beer, but only the "good" varieties and will have that on occasion. Often I will split a 12oz bottle with one of my kids. I also very much like Virgil's cream soda.
^ all of these are very sweet and a "diet" alternative just won't do, so all things in moderation—including sobriety.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:51 AM »
I would predict that the distribution would have an average around 12 oz, but a couple peaks, one giant one at or near zero, and another smaller one at or near 72 oz.

If you subtracted from your population "people who drink little or no soda at all", the average would by definition jump up.  The word "typical" could easily be interpreted to mean either "the typical American" OR "the typical soda-drinking American".

That's kinda' p-hacky, but o.k.

It's not much different from when they would describe the average cigarette usage. They didn't factor non-smokers at all.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »
Absolutely not.  It is entirely imagined by me, based on casual observation and not at all on any actual data.  The discussion I'm having is mostly about how the word "typical" could be applied in a way that would be valid even through the discrepancies noted above.
As long as you are defining your cohort before the fact, and not after collecting data, then you're fine. P-hacking is looking for spurious correlations by messing with parameters after you already have the results.

Yes, I would expect 72 oz is typical consumption for the subset of people who drink soft drinks regularly, and not a national average, if that figure is valid at all.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »
I drink diet coke, mostly no-caffeine.  I should probably drink less of it, but I have successfully rationalized my consumption to myself. There are far worse habits I could have (is what I usually tell myself).  :laugh:
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »

One of the upgrades I'm going to do to my house when I get back here after I sell the old place, will be to have an under-the-sink RO unit installed. Those seem to work better to my taste than the Brita filter, and I don't need as much flavoring to get my necessary water.

I wouldn't recommend one of those for anyone except with a medical issue.  Expensive and they waste water and electricity.  Why not consider a 5-gallon bubbler for your drinking water if the tap tastes bad?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »

One of the upgrades I'm going to do to my house when I get back here after I sell the old place, will be to have an under-the-sink RO unit installed. Those seem to work better to my taste than the Brita filter, and I don't need as much flavoring to get my necessary water.

I wouldn't recommend one of those for anyone except with a medical issue.  Expensive and they waste water and electricity.  Why not consider a 5-gallon bubbler for your drinking water if the tap tastes bad?

Yeah, just get a  good in-line carbon filter and you can have a separate little tap for filtered water installed in your kitchen sink.  RO systems end up wasting water some way or another, even the ones that claim no waste.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »
Absolutely not.  It is entirely imagined by me, based on casual observation and not at all on any actual data.  The discussion I'm having is mostly about how the word "typical" could be applied in a way that would be valid even through the discrepancies noted above.

I found data from NHANES, and have plotted it below. 

http://jt512.dyndns.org/images/sugarybevs.png

The distribution is not bimodal, but right-skewed.  Only 7.5% of US adults drink 3 or more sugar-sweetened beverages per day.  Even among those who drink at least one sugar-sweetened beverage per day, only 15% drink 3 or more per day.  72 oz/d, which Steve calls "typical," would be about 6 drinks per day.  A recent study noted that 567 kcal/d was the 95th percentile of sugar-sweetened beverage intake.  That would be about 3.6 drinks per day, which is in basic agreement with the depicted NHANES data.  72 oz/d, or 6 drinks/d would be extreme, according to this data.  Steve seems mistaken that it is typical in any way.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
My water comes with usually invisible amounts of rust, that's about it. Visited family in Denmark, and I learned what hard water tastes like. I guess you can get used to it, but I found it quite unpleasant.

Visiting family (in-laws/pre-in-laws) in Alabama, I learned to buy water by the gallon.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 02:49:58 PM »
Drink soda about 0.25 times a week, maybe.

I used to buy 1.5 liter bottles, because the 0.5 liter ones and the cans were ridiculously overpriced in comparison, so I wasn't really tempted to buy much soda on the go, I had enough at home. But ultimately I got tired of having so many bottles build up if I wasn't diligent in returning them, so I stopped buying soda. I'll have junkfood somewhat reguarly, but with water. I try to always bring a freshly refilled water with me.

I miss return bottles and wish we would bring them back.

Come to Germany!  Returning bottles is a national pastime.

I believe that Captain Video was referring to refillable glass bottles, not merely to bottles returnable for a deposit.  The latter are still readily found here in the states. I, too, have fond memories of drinking cold (sugar-sweetened) Pepsi out of a thick, frosty glass bottle, scratched and scuffed from its multiple reuses.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 02:53:49 PM »

I used to buy 1.5 liter bottles, because the 0.5 liter ones and the cans were ridiculously overpriced in comparison, so I wasn't really tempted to buy much soda on the go, I had enough at home. But ultimately I got tired of having so many bottles build up if I wasn't diligent in returning them, so I stopped buying soda. I'll have junkfood somewhat reguarly, but with water. I try to always bring a freshly refilled water with me.

I believe that Captain Video was referring to refillable glass bottles, not merely to bottles returnable for a deposit.  The latter are still readily found here in the states. I, too, have fond memories of drinking cold (sugar-sweetened) Pepsi out of a thick, frosty glass bottle, scratched and scuffed from its multiple reuses.
For me it was Coke pulled out of a coin operated machine that had a door on the side you would open to grasp the top of the bottle to pull it out.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »
I drink maybe 4 cans of coke zero every couple of weeks?

I dont care about the sugar, I just worry about the enamel on my teeth.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
How much soda/soft drink do you drink on a weekly basis?
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »

I believe that Captain Video was referring to refillable glass bottles, not merely to bottles returnable for a deposit.

Yes, as was I. But now that I think about it, it’s mostly beer and water bottles, not soda bottles, that are refillable in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
For me it was Coke pulled out of a coin operated machine that had a door on the side you would open to grasp the top of the bottle to pull it out.

Do you remember the ones that opened from the top. The bottles were suspended from their necks, and you had to slide them along a track to a gate through which you would pull them up and out of the machine . If you dropped the bottle before pulling it all the way out, it would drop unretrievably to the bottom of the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 04:27:51 PM »
Sometimes I will have a sugar-free soda, flavored seltzer, or carbonated water, but I almost never drink sugary drinks or even fruit juice.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 08:34:56 PM »

I'll look into that when the time comes to install something. However, we have plenty of water here, and I will have plenty of free electricity once I get my solar panels installed.

Do bubblers remove bad tastes from water?

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck