Author Topic: Does Criticism of Religion Amount to an Attack on the Faithful?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: Does Criticism of Religion Amount to an Attack on the Faithful?
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »
An attack can also mean to fiercely criticize. Intent to harm is not necessary. I would rather not get into an argument of definitions.

Where do you get the idea that intent is not necessary for criticism?

Even if I'm just criticizing an ideology, I am surely intending to disparage that belief system. If I'm fiercely criticizing a person, does that not require an intent to disparage that person?

Still the question remains, if I "fiercely criticize" religion, what is being fiercely criticized? The ideology or the person?

That is a bit of a goalpost move. I didn't say intent. I said intent to harm.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Does Criticism of Religion Amount to an Attack on the Faithful?
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
An attack can also mean to fiercely criticize. Intent to harm is not necessary. I would rather not get into an argument of definitions.

Where do you get the idea that intent is not necessary for criticism?

Even if I'm just criticizing an ideology, I am surely intending to disparage that belief system. If I'm fiercely criticizing a person, does that not require an intent to disparage that person?

Still the question remains, if I "fiercely criticize" religion, what is being fiercely criticized? The ideology or the person?

That is a bit of a goalpost move. I didn't say intent. I said intent to harm.

Are you implying that when somebody "fiercely criticizes" another person, there's no intent to cause harm? I tend to interpret the adverb "fiercely" to mean that the critic intends not only to correct, but to personally disparage or defame the target.

Either way, you said you didn't want to drag this into the realm of semantics. As far as I'm concerned there's no reason to. The difference of opinion is not rooted in semantics.

It really comes down to whether criticizing or belittling an ideology amounts to a defamation or belittlement of the believers of that ideology.

Criticizing an ideology doesn't necessarily equate to disparaging the believers of that ideology. That's because ideologies are not people; people amount to far more than whatever ideologies they may or may not endorse at any given point in time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:32:35 PM by John Albert »

personate-rain