Author Topic: Who needs Bach, anyway?  (Read 943 times)

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Who needs Bach, anyway?
« on: March 22, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »
https://g.co/doodle/3zrb48

Ready to rock out with Bach? Today's #BachDoodle celebrates German composer and musician Johann Sebastian Bach with our very first AI-powered #GoogleDoodle → http://goo.gl/qJqcPB
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Who needs Bach, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
Yep. I'd say we still need Bach. The Google A.I. certainly did a much better job than I could, but it fell far short of the real thing.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
I quite liked the ones I inspired. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 05:32:26 AM »
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 06:54:32 AM »
Whats in the link exactly?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 09:29:43 AM »
The google doodle the other day. It leads to an AI that takes whatever melody you drop into two bars and makes a loop that fits Bach's style.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 09:32:51 AM »
The google doodle the other day. It leads to an AI that takes whatever melody you drop into two bars and makes a loop that fits Bach's style.
Ah.
Cheers!

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »

Yeah, to the extent that carob candy tastes like milk chocolate. You can kind of detect a similarity. Carob and chocolate are both dark colored and are both sweet. Otherwise, no. Listen to the Google thing, and then listen to this:

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »
"Fits his style," I said, not "is indistinguishable from one of his masterpieces."

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
IMO, it fits his style about as well as carb resembles chocolate. Of course, I would argue that Bach's style goes a lot deeper than the formal definitions of counterpoint, fugue, etc. But of course someone who does not love the music of Bach might be a lot less rigorous about what "fits his style." I'd probably make the same mistake in saying that all rap sounds alike. If Google made an A.I. to mimic a rap performer, I'd probably think they had nailed it perfectly, while a fan of that performer might feel they could not capture their essence. The same for heavy metal or Big Band. I'm perhaps sensitive on the issue because I feel that the music of Bach is the most sublime thing the human race has ever created. Mimicking the tempos and harmonies just doesn't come close.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online CarbShark

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 08:01:32 PM »
IMO, it fits his style about as well as carb resembles chocolate. Of course, I would argue that Bach's style goes a lot deeper than the formal definitions of counterpoint, fugue, etc. But of course someone who does not love the music of Bach might be a lot less rigorous about what "fits his style." I'd probably make the same mistake in saying that all rap sounds alike. If Google made an A.I. to mimic a rap performer, I'd probably think they had nailed it perfectly, while a fan of that performer might feel they could not capture their essence. The same for heavy metal or Big Band. I'm perhaps sensitive on the issue because I feel that the music of Bach is the most sublime thing the human race has ever created. Mimicking the tempos and harmonies just doesn't come close.

I wouldn't say this thing fits his style. I'd say they identified one harmonic technique used often in Bach's music and use AI to replicate that technique.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 08:12:39 PM »

Yeah, to the extent that carob candy tastes like milk chocolate. You can kind of detect a similarity. Carob and chocolate are both dark colored and are both sweet. Otherwise, no. Listen to the Google thing, and then listen to this:

Note to organist: Love your work.  In the future, please wear different socks.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »
This was interesting but I agree it was underwhelming considering I had read articles earlier in the week touting how amazing it was.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 09:17:21 PM »
Google-Bach:Bach::Autonomous-Cars:Human-Drivers
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.