Author Topic: Who needs Bach, anyway?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Who needs Bach, anyway?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
I wouldn't say this thing fits his style. I'd say they identified one harmonic technique used often in Bach's music and use AI to replicate that technique.

This I can agree with.

Note to organist: Love your work.  In the future, please wear different socks.

Hey, those are cool socks! Not only is he a magnifcent musician, but he's got personality, too.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stochastibot

• Brand New
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »
Kinda neat when I saw it, but the results were a bit underwhelming.  David Cope (UC Santa Cruz) has been working on automatic music composition for quite a while, and has gotten (in my opinion) really nice results.  I had the privilege of talking with him a few years ago, really interesting guy.

Interview: 

EMI generated chorale:

Online Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »
Pretty cool. Eventually AI will be able to make some pretty amazing music IMHO. You could connect it to your Fitbit and it could monitor your physiological responses to get a real time feedback to it's neural network to tailor music to the person.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
EMI generated chorale:

That's actually pretty nice. It sounds enough like an actual Bach chorale that I'm suspicious it's actually a plagiarism. High praise if it's really machine generated. I don't have enough familiarity with Bach's entire repertoire to say for sure. Or maybe all those chorales (really interludes, of a sort, between more important movements) just all kind of sound like this, making the job easier. I doubt there's a Bach cantata that doesn't have at least one movement that basically sounds just like that.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »
Wake me up when it creates a new Brandenburg Concerto. If that's asking too much I'll settle for a book of two part inventions.

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 02:36:02 AM »
I'm more of a Shostakovich guy.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline stochastibot

• Brand New
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 01:45:07 AM »

That's actually pretty nice. It sounds enough like an actual Bach chorale that I'm suspicious it's actually a plagiarism. High praise if it's really machine generated. I don't have enough familiarity with Bach's entire repertoire to say for sure. Or maybe all those chorales (really interludes, of a sort, between more important movements) just all kind of sound like this, making the job easier. I doubt there's a Bach cantata that doesn't have at least one movement that basically sounds just like that.

Yeah, Cope generated 5,000 Bach-like chorales.  When I was a grad student, I ran these through code we had to generate features from music for machine learning purposes, and compared them with the Bach chorales.  Only one chorale was misclassified.  Mostly the same, but there were three statistical features we found that could be used to tell them apart.

Bach chorales are really tricky from an ML perspective.  The harmonization is basically rule-based, which is why neural nets don't do so well, but Bach occasionally bent the rules, so just a brute force search through possible harmonizations that follow the rules end up with bland results.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:48:41 AM by stochastibot »