Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 5581 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Tech Woes
« on: March 26, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »
Here's a place to post your random tech frustrations; not necessarily a support thread (though support is always welcome to those with woes), but a place to vent.

I'll start:

I'm trying to set up radius authentication on an HP Procurve 1920-24G-PoE switch.  It authenticates, NPS grants full access to members of the Domain Admins group. But the switch gives the logged in user access only to network utilities.  It's clearly a permissions issue.  I'm sending (as far as I can tell) the correct vendor-specific code.  But nothing. And this is the last thing I need to get done to have the entire network hardware infrastructure authenticated against the domain. Uggh.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
Ipad air 2 wont smoothly loop a 2048x1536 file. I tried several players. VLC does the best but not good enough. Had to cheat and turn the 30 second file into a 30 minute file to be safe. What a pain in the ass. It cost me sleep last night when sleep is a precious commodity.

Great idea, give me a place to bitch about something and I will certainly take advantage.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
Got a VR headset for my bday last year. Won't work with my graphics card (GTX780; too old). Need to upgrade. Figured I'd wait a bit until I'd have a bigger financial buffer. Then my projector started dying, so I bought a 4k one to replace it. My graphics card will display 4k (at 50Hz), but it doesn't render it very smoothly, and my cable is not HDMI 2.1, so I won't have HDR for my UHD media. Buy a new 10m cable that says it is "HDMI 2.1/2.0b/2.0a/1.4", but upon arrival the cable itself says "high speed", not "ultra high speed", so now I'm not sure if it just means 2.1 compatible (which all HDMI 1.4 cables are), or full 2.1 48G. In any case, turns out that my graphics card is way too old to support 2.1 output, and most 4k video renders too slowly to be watchable anyway. So I guess I need a new graphics card. When my financial buffer fills back up again that is (which should be a couple of months from now). When I do that I'll buy it not just for movies and VR, but also for neural network computing and some gaming, so I want a great all-round card with lots of memory and tensor cores. I'm thinking of going for the Asus RTX2080TI (my previous two graphics cards were both ASUS cards and they've both been whisper quiet and very reliable). The new generation of cards is almost twice as expensive as the previous one I bought, though, which seems a bit ridiculous especially since NVidia is complaining of disappointing sales numbers. Yeah, no shit guys, maybe lower the price a little, especially now that bitcoin mining is on the wane and it turns out your new generation of cards scores only moderately higher than the previous generation. And it's not even clear that HDMI 2.1 will be supported on the latest generation of NVidia cards anyway (the HDMI specs came out a bit too late to be officially supported), so I guess maybe I'll wait and see. Oh, and there is a small chance that the card won't fit in my case because it'll get in the way of my HDD/SSD connectors. Meanwhile, I still don't have working VR or fully functional 4k.

On the plus side, the projector has a ton of settings that let you tweak the color settings and such (it took me a while to figure this out, but there are settings to tweak the hue/gain/saturation and some other aspects of RGB, CYM, and white, and the default yellow is too green to really pop, which makes not just the yellows but also the greens look a bit flat), and the image is really nice even at 1080p. Of course, as with any visual or audio update to my system, this has driven me temporarily insane, having me tweak the color scheme every 20 seconds because it has to be "just right". }|:op
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:35:13 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »
Got a VR headset for my bday last year. Won't work with my graphics card (GTX780; too old). Need to upgrade. Figured I'd wait a bit until I'd have a bigger financial buffer. Then my projector started dying, so I bought a 4k one to replace it. My graphics card will display 4k (at 50Hz), but it doesn't render it very smoothly, and my cable is not HDMI 2.1, so I won't have HDR for my UHD media. Buy a new 10m cable that says it is "HDMI 2.1/2.0b/2.0a/1.4", but upon arrival the cable itself says "high speed", not "ultra high speed", so now I'm not sure if it just means 2.1 compatible (which all HDMI 1.4 cables are), or full 2.1 48G. In any case, turns out that my graphics card is way too old to support 2.1 output, and most 4k video renders too slowly to be watchable anyway. So I guess I need a new graphics card. When my financial buffer fills back up again that is (which should be a couple of months from now). When I do that I'll buy it not just for movies and VR, but also for neural network computing and some gaming, so I want a great all-round card with lots of memory and tensor cores. I'm thinking of going for the Asus RTX2080TI (my previous two graphics cards were both ASUS cards and they've both been whisper quiet and very reliable). The new generation of cards is almost twice as expensive as the previous one I bought, though, which seems a bit ridiculous especially since NVidia is complaining of disappointing sales numbers. Yeah, no shit guys, maybe lower the price a little, especially now that bitcoin mining is on the wane and it turns out your new generation of cards scores only moderately higher than the previous generation. And it's not even clear that HDMI 2.1 will be supported on the latest generation of NVidia cards anyway (the HDMI specs came out a bit too late to be officially supported), so I guess maybe I'll wait and see. Oh, and there is a small chance that the card won't fit in my case because it'll get in the way of my HDD/SSD connectors. Meanwhile, I still don't have working VR or fully functional 4k.

On the plus side, the projector has a ton of settings that let you tweak the color settings and such (it took me a while to figure this out, but there are settings to tweak the hue/gain/saturation and some other aspects of RGB, CYM, and white, and the default yellow is too green to really pop, which makes not just the yellows but also the greens look a bit flat), and the image is really nice even at 1080p. Of course, as with any visual or audio update to my system, this has driven me temporarily insane, having me tweak the color scheme every 20 seconds because it has to be "just right". }|:op

Want to come here and work video playback?   >:D

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 04:49:46 PM »
I'm not un-tempted. }|:op
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 09:37:05 PM »
So I fixed my RADIUS authentication issue by deleting and recreating the policy.  But since all of the settings were exactly as in the previous policy, I have no idea what was causing the problem.  At this point, though, I all I care about is never having to do it again.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:24 PM »
Screw EDID, Just saying...

What a pain in the ass!    >:(

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »

I concur.  Few things are more frustrating than when a video source believes it knows better than you what your display’s capabilities are. It’s especially a pain in the ass on Macs, in my experience.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »

I concur.  Few things are more frustrating than when a video source believes it knows better than you what your display’s capabilities are. It’s especially a pain in the ass on Macs, in my experience.

Im stuck with a house system of 10 TVs running over cat5 (curved which I also hate) My own 4 TVs over SDI to an HDMI DA splitting to the 4 tvs and finally a projector on an independent SDI. Everything wired back to my PC. The DA has built in EDID control but making everything sync properly took forever. If I had the time I would have wired the whole thing SDI but no such luck.

I also have 8 independent touch screen kiosks each running with a PC and finally 6 vertical TVs running from Rasp PIs

Three of us managed to get it all working in 12 hrs which included loading the truck and then loading in to an unknown location an hour south of us.  I didn't have everything working till about 15 minutes before we had to wrap. No generator power until today so we had no clue what the projection (220v) would look like or if it would work. Projecting on plexiglass with a freshly installed rear projection film (bubbles ugg).

My crew busted their asses on this one. We came in this morning and everything works. Amazing!

Thats the most detail I can describe until the pilot comes out (if it comes out)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:05:00 PM by Captain Video »

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 09:51:16 PM »
There is a new trend with cheaper "smart" TVs that makes absolutely no sense to me. Specifically ones that contain a built in ROKU system. I have an external Roku and I love it however the ones on the cheaper TVs are a nightmare.

Here are the picture controls: Normal, Bright, Brighter, Dark, Darker. WTF   ??? 

Thats it, not one other control.  This is a "Dumb" TV, I tried "brighter" but it only seems to make the unit more stupid. Unfortunately its not up to me to buy the TVs and I am not always consulted or we mite be on a house owned system somewhere.

Another thing I see are cheap 4k TVs. It looks like a marketing scam to me, people must buy them thinking they are better quality at 4k when they would be much better off with a name brand 1080p Sony, Samsung, or similar. 

Never curved!  Why would you want one of those? They are only good if you sit directly centered in front of them. (they don't look good on camera from any angle.) The film was not shot curved, why would you want to view it that way? Its not IMAX.

A curved gaming monitor mite be cool but I have never tried one.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 11:29:55 PM »
It is my conviction that a 60 Hz 1080p TV (with any motion processing turned off) is all that’s needed for anything but the most extreme installations.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 01:25:29 AM »
I have been seeing a lot of 720 p tvs for sale at Walmart
They use the term High Definition. Wish they would just use the numbers because less confusing.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:55:03 AM »
While I like the somewhat sharper image, I'm more curious about the greater color range and better contrast of HDR than the actual resolution. 720p is fine for most modern TV shows.
Mooohn!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »
My undestanding is that the coming HDR TVs will be an astonishing and hugely visible change for the average consumer, much more so than going from 720p to 1080p to 4k.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
My undestanding is that the coming HDR TVs will be an astonishing and hugely visible change for the average consumer, much more so than going from 720p to 1080p to 4k.

Yeah, I've read the same, although it's hard to say for sure as atm my graphics card won't really play UHD content very well and has no support for HDMI 2.
Mooohn!

personate-rain