Author Topic: Tech.jpg  (Read 34223 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Tech.jpg
« Reply #540 on: June 18, 2019, 08:41:26 PM »
That's not a truck, that's a ute.

*ducks*
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #541 on: June 18, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »
I think Ford has F150 hybrids coming to the market next year.  I'm not really wanting a hybrid, I'd rather make the jump to just electric. 

I honestly don't need a truck, but would prefer a small SUV type vehicle.  I'm driving a Hyundai Santa Fe right now and it suits my needs well enough.  If the wife and I take shopping trips up to Lexington or Louisville it gives us enough storage and it's pretty comfortable.  I'd like something in that size or a little smaller that's just electric if I could find/afford it.  The Kona looks nice but has a pretty short range of ~250 miles.  That puts me running out of juice about the time I would hit Asheville from here not including going over the mountains.  I'd really prefer something greater than 300.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2019, 12:01:08 AM »

*ducks*

No, this is s Ute:

I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2019, 04:00:06 AM »

*ducks*
I said the same thing to Boss Lady just now.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2019, 06:17:01 AM »
I'm not sure where to post this, I want to post it EVERYWHERE! She bought a brand new Tesla 3 just to chop the top off and make a truck.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I'm guessing you have to get someone to certify that it's road legal after all that? Interesting proof of concept, at least.

Ideally people only drive as big a car as they need to. The more of you there are who share the vehicles, the easier it should be to have different ones for different needs and leave the big cars unused for more of the time. Not that services like Uber and Lyft really help when they lead to more people using cars instead of mass transit (or staying at home more, which is also a valid alternative).

I bought a car recently and it was down to a compact or a station wagon, and I can borrow a bigger car on the rare occasions that I need it, so that made the choice easier. Also the station wagon had a cigarette smell to it. It's almost like it was on show only to make the compact seem like a better deal.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »
I have not taken one forever but one problem I had with carbon footprints "tests" is that they will "penalize" you for more than one vehicle. Let us say that you have a small compact car as your regular drive car but a truck that mostly sits but you use it for cargo carrying.

You are only driving one at a time and in the case of the truck, it mostly just sits in the situation I describe.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #546 on: June 19, 2019, 03:37:18 PM »
Or you have two electrics.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #547 on: June 19, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »

And that's a fine goal, but, it may have been better to pursue a fleet wide reduction in emissions.

The difference being large vehicles, especially SVUs and Trucks.

Some people need larger vehicles and in many cases they can be more efficient than smaller vehicles.

And a large number of consumers prefer large vehicles but would happily buy them with hybrid systems. (Right now the only ones available are already high priced, and the hybrid system adds significantly to the prices and there's not government rebate of subsidy available).

I have a pickup - gets about 15 mpg, but I average less than 3000 miles per year - real calculation over the 14 years I've owned it. Year 2018 I put a total of 250 gallons of gas in it.  I propose higher gasoline taxes to make high mileage drivers pay more (and choose higher efficiency vehicles) rather than higher efficiency standards to make the rest of us (who don't have much of an impact) pay. 
Amend and resubmit.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #548 on: June 19, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
In fairness, higher efficiency standards impacts upper middle class a lot more than those down the financial totem pole.  Middle class and lower folks don't buy new cars all the time.  Whereas fuel taxes will impact the working poor pretty hard considering they pay a higher share of their income in fuel costs to commute to work (as well as having to own older vehicles that get worse MPG).
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #549 on: June 19, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »
In fairness, higher efficiency standards impacts upper middle class a lot more than those down the financial totem pole.  Middle class and lower folks don't buy new cars all the time.  Whereas fuel taxes will impact the working poor pretty hard considering they pay a higher share of their income in fuel costs to commute to work (as well as having to own older vehicles that get worse MPG).

Which is why an emissions tax should be combined with something akin to a universal basic income program. E.g. you could pay out the money collected from tax evenly distributed, which would be a far more significant benefit for those with the smallest incomes and consumption levels.

Or if it turns out that the job structure they're stuck in is really inefficient (polluting), like driving between multiple jobs, it could free them up to quit and find a single job for a better ROI.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:56:35 PM by 2397 »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #550 on: June 19, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
In fairness, higher efficiency standards impacts upper middle class a lot more than those down the financial totem pole.

Presumably, they have the effect of an upward pressure on fuel economy to those that are buying vehicles new, compared to what would otherwise make sense to the buyer. Arguably, this is one of the main benefits, at least to whomever is going to own it next. The real question is what level of carbon tax would produce an efficiency pressure similar to CAFE. There might not be a good answer to that, since fleet fuel economy is computed by auto manufacturer, and they also have different targets per vehicle size.