Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 6024 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
So, after this, I did a slightly deeper dive on AACS2 and playing UHD content on the PC. This came right after I bought an "HDMI 2.1 compatible" cable only to notice that it was a regular HDMI 1.4 cable (which are all "compatible" with HDMI 2.1 in that the connectors are the same, but the bandwidth is different and some features will be disabled, like dynamic HDR). As far as I can tell, UHD content uses BDXL disks. It turns out there are two categories of bluray drives that can read BDXL discs. There's the so-called "UHD friendly" types, which actually can read the files on the BDXL but don't have an AACS2 certificate, and thus cannot be used with software players that are AACS2 compliant. Some of these have just disabled reading of UHD discs through firmware upgrades, so I had to downgrade my firmware to even be able to read the discs. Then there's the "UHD official" drives, which do have an AACS2 certificate, but are well over twice as expensive and are potentially subject to AACS2 revocation, which means that, should your key ever be abused or compromised (as has happened in the past), that key could be revoked and end up being shipped with some future bluray releases. If I understand this correctly, when you put a disk in your drive which has your drive's AACS key blacklisted, the drive is apparently bricked. It's amazing to me that this is legal.

So the AACS2 "UHD official" drives are essentially not future proof and function by the grace of the DRM gods, whereas the others can't play video. So, on the bright side, the drive I bought is "future proof", in that some asshole can't just decide to cripple my drive or player by, say, expiring or revoking a key, and it's apparently also a really good drive for burning BDXL and encrypted disks (although I probably won't use the burning capabilities that much). And I actually did manage to rip my UHD The Martian copy to my HDD with the downgraded firmware. But I don't see myself buying movies that won't play without spending about an hour ripping them and wasting 50GB/movie, and streaming anything over 720p, maybe 1080p on a good day, is not possible with my internet connection.

This stuff makes me nerdrage uncontrollably and I sound like I have severe tourettes when I just want to relax after a hard day, and instead I spend three hours just hoping to get any of my legally purchased movies to play at the quality I paid through the nose for, with no luck. I guess when it comes to UHD, I'm back to being a movie pirate and just downloading things for free. Which works without any issues 100% of the time, and causes none of the blood boiling, mouth frothing and minor aneurisms that trying to get bluray, and before it DVD, working caused back when that was still an issue. That vicious battle is still etched in my mind.

Great job, movie and DRM industry.

Or, as the Martian would put it:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:33:25 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
If you want to watch 4K Blu-ray disks, why not just get a 4K Blu-ray player? You say yourself that you don't want to rip them, so why bother with the aggravation?  You can get a quality 4K Blu-ray player for ~150 and you won't have to worry about DRM or graphics card issues.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 01:51:46 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »
If you want to watch 4K Blu-ray disks, why not just get a 4K Blu-ray player? You say yourself that you don't want to rip them, so why bother with the aggravation?  You can get a quality 4K Blu-ray player for ~150 and you won't have to worry about DRM or graphics card issues.

Maybe... I have thought about that, but I don't like that idea much either. I actually did do that back when I couldn't get 1080p blurays to play on my PC. I bought one that had a pretty good rating. However, it was a total disaster. The sound was almost inaudible except for the explosions, which were MASSIVELY loud and woke up my neighbors and scared the shit out of me. This may have something to do with my 5.1 set being designed for the PC, but in any case, sound normalization did nothing at all (whereas it works perfectly on my PC), and the sound and image quality (a lot of hardware decoding artifacts) were inferior to that produced by the only software player I had at the time that played some of my discs some of the time. It also made way more noise than my software player via my burner, which had an option to adjust drive speed. And unlike the software player, I couidn't download subtitles if the movie came without them, and I couldn't skip the annoying intros and trailers. I think I used it twice in total (EDIT: probably more like 5 times, but I also remember it refusing to play some discs with BD-live when my internet connection was down once - which was supposed to be fixed by a firmware upgrade, except that the upgrade service never worked). So I'm a little hesitant to repeat that experiment.

Using a separate player meant that, whenever I would want to look something up or take a small break while listening to a podcast or a bit of music (which for some reason I tend to do every ten minutes or so), chat with a friend for a minute, or maybe post here, I had to switch inputs and adjust volume and color settings, which was annoying. And I also don't have much space, so I'd rather not have an extra device. I may change my mind in the future, but if I'm gonna go for less than perfect, I'd still rather do it via the PC for now. And, since I'd still want to hook up my PC to my projector some of the time anyway, for UHD I'd need yet another 10m HDMI 2.1 cable. Plus for €150 I could also get an AACS2 compliant bluray burner, which in theory should work with an AACS compliant software player. But I think I'll wait and see a bit first.

I have watched all my media through my computer for about 20 years now, and when it's working properly, it's great. It delivers far more functionality and options than a €150,- bluray player ever could, and it's hooked up to my projector, sound system, VR headset (although that is non-functional until I get a better GPU) and everything else I need or want. I even have a crappy microscope hooked up to it with a camera that I sometimes watch on the projector screen. }|:op

And anyway, the point isn't that there are no alternatives. But it pisses me off that I should have to go there. This could all work perfectly fine if this completely pointless and perpetually failing DRM malware didn't exist. When has this stuff ever managed to stop people from pirating movies? It seems to exist just to torment users. Gives me a sad.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:47:37 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:35 PM »

Maybe... I have thought about that, but I don't like that idea much either. I actually did do that back when I couldn't get 1080p blurays to play on my PC. I bought one that had a pretty good rating. However, it was a total disaster. The sound was almost inaudible except for the explosions, which were MASSIVELY loud and woke up my neighbors and scared the shit out of me. This may have something to do with my 5.1 set being designed for the PC, but in any case, sound normalization did nothing at all (whereas it works perfectly on my PC), and the sound and image quality (a lot of hardware decoding artifacts) were inferior to that produced by the only software player I had at the time that played some of my discs some of the time. It also made way more noise than my software player via my burner, which had an option to adjust drive speed. And unlike the software player, I couidn't download subtitles if the movie came without them, and I couldn't skip the annoying intros and trailers. I think I used it twice in total (EDIT: probably more like 5 times, but I also remember it refusing to play some discs with BD-live when my internet connection was down once - which was supposed to be fixed by a firmware upgrade, except that the upgrade service never worked). So I'm a little hesitant to repeat that experiment.

Using a separate player meant that, whenever I would want to look something up or take a small break while listening to a podcast or a bit of music (which for some reason I tend to do every ten minutes or so), chat with a friend for a minute, or maybe post here, I had to switch inputs and adjust volume and color settings, which was annoying. And I also don't have much space, so I'd rather not have an extra device. I may change my mind in the future, but if I'm gonna go for less than perfect, I'd still rather do it via the PC for now. And, since I'd still want to hook up my PC to my projector some of the time anyway, for UHD I'd need yet another 10m HDMI 2.1 cable. Plus for €150 I could also get an AACS2 compliant bluray burner, which in theory should work with an AACS compliant software player. But I think I'll wait and see a bit first.

I have watched all my media through my computer for about 20 years now, and when it's working properly, it's great. It delivers far more functionality and options than a €150,- bluray player ever could, and it's hooked up to my projector, sound system, VR headset (although that is non-functional until I get a better GPU) and everything else I need or want. I even have a crappy microscope hooked up to it with a camera that I sometimes watch on the projector screen. }|:op

And anyway, the point isn't that there are no alternatives. But it pisses me off that I should have to go there. This could all work perfectly fine if this completely pointless and perpetually failing DRM malware didn't exist. When has this stuff ever managed to stop people from pirating movies? It seems to exist just to torment users. Gives me a sad.

I'm willing to bet that it stops millions of people from pirating. You are the exception to the rule as are many on this forum. We just have to deal with it, Some protections make my job ridiculously hard like EDID I mentioned earlier.

Would you believe I have had to rip files off of disk media for playback that I have complete permission and license to use?  Production hands me a DVD for playback and i'm like " what should I do with this?" I'll put it next to my VCR, cassette, and 8-track players then run out and purchase the blu-ray for ripping or better yet find it online (legally).  Not that I am playing back 4k which is usually pointless for what I do, I just need the higher quality file to convert to something I can use. I have a method for recording protected content live to Prores 222 or even 444 and uncompressed but its a pain in the ass and expensive as it should be.  The final will probably be mp4 or DVX3 

Im impressed with your attention to detail with color and video settings. I don't bother with that myself for home use as much as I should, i'm usually too tired.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
I'm willing to bet that it stops millions of people from pirating. You are the exception to the rule as are many on this forum. We just have to deal with it, Some protections make my job ridiculously hard like EDID I mentioned earlier.
It may stop individual users from ripping the content themselves (although note that for me the easiest way to actually view this stuff is to rip it, so how effective is it really?), but my point is someone will, and you can find pretty much any movie you want on the internet minutes after it comes out on 4K, usually without looking very hard.

Im impressed with your attention to detail with color and video settings. I don't bother with that myself for home use as much as I should, i'm usually too tired.
Meh, thanks, but I just obsessively fiddle around with them until I like the colors, contrast and brightness. It's not like I know what I'm doing. }|:op
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 12:06:39 AM »
Fuck certificates. /EOM
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 09:30:05 AM »
#non-belief denialist

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
I have since got both of the servers I was struggling with correctly and successfully configured for SSL. But it was a huge pain.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 04:17:08 PM »
My Apple Podcast app keeps unsubscribing some random Podcast from my subscriptions. It also randomly decides that I haven't played the last 100 episodes and proceeds to add them to my queue of unplayed podcasts so I painstakingly have to manually delete each one, because deleting with one swipe only works when there is only one episode in queue.

Lovely.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 04:38:27 PM »
I like everything about iPhones, except the software, and the hardware decisions the last several years. And the price. Where's Murphy Moore? (Murphy is still around)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:42:33 PM by 2397 »

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
Try to download app to check whether my system is VR ready for when my new GPU arrives Monday. It's free, yet I am forced to log in to download from windows app store. It says password incorrect even though I've only used it once before and the password was stored in firefox. Reset password. Need to enter email address even though it's my login and it says so right at the top of the dialogue. Get confirmation code from email. Enter confirmation code. Enter password I just entered three times as the new one. Says "you are using an old password". Enter new password. Nags me about two-step verification and wants my phone number. Not now. Get redirected to login page even though I was just editing my security settings literally two seconds ago. Enter/paste new password. Asks me to enter email address for confirmation code because security. Weren't we just here? Enter confirmation code. Get sent to password reset page even though I didn't ask to reset password. Enter password I just entered a minute ago that it wouldn't let me log in with. "You are using an old password". Change password again. Try to login to app store. Enter password multiple times. "Password incorrect".

Edit: Went through the same thing on Firefox and Chrome. Two more times. Running out of passwords. Finally get miraculously logged in after I loudly threaten to murder Bill Gates in his sleep. Go to cart. Cart is empty. Add to cart AGAIN. Go to checkout. We need your name. Enter name. "Review your end agreement", but there's nothing on the page. 30 seconds later agreement appears without warning. Finish with last click. "Once your order is processed, we'll send a receipt and any related instructions to: [my email]". Receive nothing. Bet I'll have to log in again once I finally do. Start to vaguely remember trauma of going through this when I first got the headset about 6 months ago. Check email. Never received a single thing. Go to account again. It's there waiting. Say "install now". "It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your Microsoft account." JUST GIVE ME THE FUCKING EXECUTABLE, IT'S FREE!

Jesus Christ. This is arguably the most important software company in the world. The level of incompetence is just surreal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:02:57 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
My new graphics card was delivered today. It lives, but it's not possible to install the required drivers on my windows 10 build because it is "not supported" (even though I installed the same driver pack for my 780 just three days ago). Which means I need to update, but Windows Update refuses to run. So now I have a few equally crappy choices:

- Spend many hours trying to get update to run.
- Re-install my entire OS, including the 200+ programs I use, and hope that I'll have updates working then. I won't have time to do this until at least Thursday and it'll probably take me all weekend. And then I'll have to do it again a month or two from now when I buy the rest of my upgrades.
- Run my €1300 graphics card with the crap generic windows display drivers that give me 16 bit color (scratch that; it says it's 32 bit. It just looks like 16 bit... somehow?), inferior resolution and refresh rates, and which cannot render my 4k movies, run my VR headset, or run CUDA so that I can do deep learning stuff.
- Put my old 780 back and pray that everything will work properly and use the 2080Ti as a very overpriced footstool.
- Light myself on fire in an act of protest.

I wish my computer was running self-aware AI so that I could abuse it emotionally as much as it has done to me in recent months.

I'd give nVidia and microsoft the middle finger instead but... yaknow... hooves.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:50:18 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
I wish game rendering stopped being dependent on Windows.

There are some things I prefer about Windows to Mac OS. But I'd expect to be able to get deep into Linux and find a more optimal setup there, if the desktop OS world was liberated by games not being developed for an OS but for open source software that all of them could implement.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
Yet another thing: just found out that NVidia has ended it's support for 3D vision last month. 3D movies are kind of meh outside the theater, but I LOVE gaming in 3D. It's way, way more immersive. Skyrim in 3D was the best thing ever. So now I can never update my drivers beyond version 418 and I can just wait for this tech to die at a random moment in the future when something forces me to update windows and that driver breaks. Fantastic. It's not like they can't make it work on this card, seeing as the older drivers support it, and given the fact that nearly every game in the last 5 years has required mods to work properly with this tech, I'll bet that they haven't even really touched the code base in years.

VR is somewhat of a substitute but it won't work for quite a few games. Luckily Skyrim supports it.

There's some discussion about people writing their own driver for this stuff and there are requests to make the driver open source, but I'm somewhat doubtful that it will happen.

Man, the tech-woeful day I'm having. I was so looking forward to installing this card, sitting down for a nice movie in the best possible quality, testing out my VR, and so on. But nooooooo.
Mooohn!

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »
I'm just mad because all the browsers are disabling Backspace as a hotkey for Back.  Firefox trained me to use it, and then turned it off.  It was a distracting enough experience that I switched to Microsoft Edge (which I need to use anyway for my company's Sharepoint to work properly).  No problem.  Then Edge disabled Backspace as a hotkey for Back.  Friggin dummies just need to keep track of what window is open, so Backspace doesn't ruin your precious forms or whatever. 

So now a couple weeks later I'm still jabbing for Backspace and momentarily confused when nothing happens.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada