Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 1698 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »
Tried to update my system using a boot drive today (update service just hangs) so that I could finally install my new GPU. Everything worked until I disabled microsoft ads and spyware using DoNotSpy. It asks me to create a restore point, and I say "well duh, of course". It says "created". Reboot. I get "page fault in non-paged area". Since windows insists on aimlessly trying to auto-repair things, it takes about 10 minutes to restart the PC each time, and I have had to do that a lot today. Try to use system restore. "No restore points". What the actual fuck? I just created that 10 minutes ago! Tried to boot in safe mode, but of course my wireless keyboard doesn't function in the one screen where I have to select my boot options. Finally managed to boot in safe mode after digging up an old PS/2 keyboard. But in safe mode I can't re-enable the services I need, no matter what I try. Website suggests possible memory or disk errors, so I run diagnostics, but everything is healthy. Try to repair using the boot drive. Takes three minutes just to give me two options: repair or reinstall. I choose repair. "This option is not available when installing from a boot drive". WTF? Then don't give me that option! Goes back to the startup screen, so I have to wait another 3 minutes. Make many more attempts at running diagnostics and un/re-installing stuff in safe mode, and it tries to "auto-repair" every damn time, which makes me want to go on a shooting spree. Finally decide to give up and decide (at this point in a state of extreme nerd rage) to just reinstall the whole damn thing over my old windows 7 partition instead, which I was really hoping to avoid. Boots fine, but activation won't work, which means I can't even adjust basic stuff like my audio settings. Try to find an offline activator on pirate bay, but I need Tor since ISPs were forced to block that site in NL, and windows defender and windows antivirus kill literally everything I try to install. Spit at computer, then proceed to look up how to murder windows defender, antivirus, firewall. I like my OS defenseless. Tor still not working right. Finally manage to get old tor from old windows drive that actually starts up. Network is crippled. Tor says I'm behind a proxy. I'm not. Figure out that tor is somehow using my LAN connection instead of actual internet (even though everything else is using the right connection). Disable LAN. Install Vuze. Terrible new interface, but no option to go back to old one. Magnet links do not work, and TPB only has magnet links and torrent hashes. Old interface allowed searching by hash, but not the new one. Yell at Vuze. Try mu-torrent. Works. Find three different activators. Last one works. Activate windows. Can adjust some settings now, but still can't install a damn thing because microsoft idiots for whatever reason decided to not give programs write permissions in program files directories. Punch chair. It probably deserved it. Take ownership, free directories from microsoft dictatorship. Manage to do that and install video player and some other stuff over the course of about 4 hours. Tons of settings I need to redo, but since I'm gonna upgrade soon I just decide to wing it and copy/paste my program files and user settings folders. Seems to be OK. Firefox is kind of wonky (session restore does not work well), but working. Connect projector. No input detected. Swap HDMI inputs for projector and regular screen. Works. Sit down to watch UHD, HDR version of The Martian I bought a while ago. Luckily I still have it ripped on my other hard drive, because of course it won't play directly from the blu-ray player. Still renders choppy. Figure out that hardware decoder is being ignore even though I explicitly told K-Lite codec pack to use it. Manage to get it working. BS.Player repeatedly crashes after one minute. Install pot player. Works, but no sound, and weird error when opening settings (but doesn't seem to hurt). Re-install sound drivers. Find right sound renderer. There's some crackling and the sound normalization is not as good as in my previous install, but whatever. Start The Martian again. Colors look super flat. Figure out that projector saves color settings per device, so I have to fiddle around with those again. Still almost grey. Notice that my color space is 8bpc instead of the 12bpc I had earlier. Manage to figure out that you can only do 12bpc at 1080p/60fps or 4k/30fps over HDMI 2.0 because bandwidth, but the framerate is not that important when watching movies, so switch. Still flat. Finally notice deactivated "HDR" button in pot player. BANG, colors pop like crazy, looks phenomenal in mars outdoors scenes. Painful boil on lower back helpfully reminds me of unhealthy levels of cortisone and adrenaline. Spend about 30 minutes writing this rant. It is now 3:45a.m., but I'm fucking watching this movie, and maybe another one, too, out of sheer spite. Still no idea if my VR works, but I guess that's for another day.

How non-tech-savvy people ever get anything working in windows 10 is beyond me.

And I have to do this again a few months from now, when I get the money for my complete upgrade.  :bang:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:23:42 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 10:36:13 PM »
Might break into smaller paragraphs to make it easier to understand?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 10:39:50 PM »
Non-tech-savvy people, in my experience, generally get along just fine with the default settings and pre-installed drivers on their Windows 10 PCs. They don’t upgrade their own hardware (and generally they don’t buy computers that are meant to be or are even capable of being upgraded), they don’t use their PCs with external displays, and they get along just fine without ever touching their network configuration or Windows Defender.  Their biggest complaint is unexpected forced upgrades, which they complain about but just live with.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »
I would have almost certainly resorted at some point to just restoring windows myself.
Fiddle a while but eventually just give up.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2019, 07:47:44 AM »
Might break into smaller paragraphs to make it easier to understand?

I wanted it to reflect my non-stop waterfall of tech-misery. }|:op
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »
So I do technical theater at my school.  Generally we've got a really good system about which I can't complain.  The only problem is the electrical, for the following reasons:

1. The panel for the sound cabinet (containing the amps) was subbed off of the mains to the dimmer cabinet.  This introduces all kinds of noise that it's just impossible to eliminate.

2. The outlets that I have to use for my mixer and PA are on a separate sub panel on a different leg of the mains with separate ground bonding. The result is that there is a potential across ground that varies depending on how many lights are on. Which, for anyone with any sound experience, has obvious results. There are also ground issues in the theater lighting wiring, which exacerbates the problem.

Unfortunately, there's no way to really fix this without doing thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in electrical work (although if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to listen to them!).
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 01:12:43 PM »
So I do technical theater at my school.  Generally we've got a really good system about which I can't complain.  The only problem is the electrical, for the following reasons:

1. The panel for the sound cabinet (containing the amps) was subbed off of the mains to the dimmer cabinet.  This introduces all kinds of noise that it's just impossible to eliminate.

2. The outlets that I have to use for my mixer and PA are on a separate sub panel on a different leg of the mains with separate ground bonding. The result is that there is a potential across ground that varies depending on how many lights are on. Which, for anyone with any sound experience, has obvious results. There are also ground issues in the theater lighting wiring, which exacerbates the problem.

Unfortunately, there's no way to really fix this without doing thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in electrical work (although if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to listen to them!).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Hum-Eliminators/ci/15139/N/3992462126
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2019, 02:21:14 PM »

I was actually wondering about putting isolating transformers between the amps and mains and the rest of my sound equipment and mains. Might that help me?

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2019, 05:02:06 PM »
I'm just mad because all the browsers are disabling Backspace as a hotkey for Back.  Firefox trained me to use it, and then turned it off.  It was a distracting enough experience that I switched to Microsoft Edge (which I need to use anyway for my company's Sharepoint to work properly).  No problem.  Then Edge disabled Backspace as a hotkey for Back.  Friggin dummies just need to keep track of what window is open, so Backspace doesn't ruin your precious forms or whatever. 

So now a couple weeks later I'm still jabbing for Backspace and momentarily confused when nothing happens.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2019, 05:14:28 PM »

I was actually wondering about putting isolating transformers between the amps and mains and the rest of my sound equipment and mains. Might that help me?

I say yes but In my experience by trial and error till you get it right, someone with more experience mite be able to help with more specifics.

You can get a lot of miles out of these too

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
Tried to get my VR headset working today...

(click to show/hide)
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »
Firefox has decided to disable my extensions randomly because they are "unsigned" (they are not; EDIT: well, not all of them) even though I have all updates turned off and have gone to great lengths to allow unsigned addons, such as never upgrading anything since they removed this option.

Apparently this is due to a certificate expiring because the developers forgot to renew it. How that can happen when I have signing enforcement and updates disabled is beyond me. In their infinite wisdom, the morons at firefox decided a while ago to treat their users (who are typically techies who need the versatility of the browser) to treat their user base as infants and simply ignore the setting that would allow unsigned addons to be installed, so there is no way to re-enable them. Of course, a child could have predicted that this rigid enforcement was going to lead to disaster sooner or later, because it often has.

They've ruined this browser in a truly epic way. It's like watching someone commit suicide over a period of years.

I'm moving on to waterfox or something similar where stuff actually works. So long firefox, it's been hell knowing you.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 09:38:45 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 08:00:31 AM »
That happened to both my laptop and tablet.
Remove them one at a time, restart firefox, and add them one at a time back
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »
The ones I need the most are actually unsigned and won't install anymore. But I'm on waterfox now and it works fine. }|:o)
Mooohn!

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »