Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2019, 02:58:31 AM »
OK, after more time spent troubleshooting, and taking a break from it to come back at it fresh, I tried it all again with an earlier version of my Excel file. It seems to be working fine, and I was able to do my regular work and get the desired output to my clients.

All I can think of is the other file was somehow corrupted. Not enough to prevent it from opening, but enough to cause it to hang once it was open. The sort of thing that sucks all the CPU resource.

Next challenge will be to see if I can get the compiled version of my Excel-based system back working, that issue hasn't been resolved. But at least I am back with a working system, at least for now.

I wouldn't need to bother with all this nonsense if Mac Excel was the same as Windows Excel.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
All I can think of is the other file was somehow corrupted. Not enough to prevent it from opening, but enough to cause it to hang once it was open. The sort of thing that sucks all the CPU resource.

My first guess was that the document eventually became large enough that it crossed over the threshold of RAM available. Last I checked (Office 2007/2010), Office documents are actually zip files containing a number of XML files, so it should be the other way around - the bigger the document gets, the longer the load/save time, but the whole thing should be decompressed into memory when the document is opened.

VMs are funky because the OS is designed on the premise that it has full control of I/O. What is supposed to be given the highest I/O priority (the kernel swapping memory from disk) is as slow as other user-space process running on the host system. In my experience, using the disk for anything else when a VM is running slows it down. Doesn't matter if it has 4GB of RAM, either Win 7/10. Occasionally the OS is going to swap memory, and when this is delayed by other I/O, instant slowdown.

Also, as an aside: I wouldn't discount the script itself causes issues, if it was changed recently. Scripting langues make heavy use of heap allocation, everything in a scripting language is a dynamically-allocated object, which is why they typically use considerable memory in order to not do much. They have automatic garbage collection, and will use fuzzy logic to determine how often to run the garbage collector. So the memory footprint of your script isn't that predictable. And if you are using VB.NET, at some point you will trigger just-in-time compilation, which will use even more memory to compile parts of your script in memory as it runs.

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
With VMware, you should be able to simply create another VM and use the existing virtual disk. 32-bit Windows runs on a 64-bit processor, but it will still be 32-bit Windows until it is upgraded. 

If you really want to make your VM fast, you could try turning off the pagefile. Except that will produce a hard limit on memory available, so you should only do that after upgrading to 64-bit.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
so my parents network password keeps getting reset.
this is really suspicious to me but I figured if someone has gained access to the router, why reset the password?  It would give away that you have access.  I did a few malware scans on their computer that came up empty so what I told my parents was that I was about 95% sure the router is just flaking out (very possible, the router is something like 10 years old) but I can't be sure it isn't something more sinister.  They called their ISP, which agreed to have someone come over and give them a new router and install it for them. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2019, 10:53:27 PM »
Are you sure your parents haven’t been resetting the router?  Some routers will revert to default settings at the push of a button.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2019, 11:44:43 PM »
Are you sure your parents haven’t been resetting the router?  Some routers will revert to default settings at the push of a button.

Well there you go - power adapter, more likely connector or outlet. But maybe it's old? Who knows.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2019, 07:57:54 AM »
only the password, not the network name, has been reset.  So I don't think that's it.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
Some routers have several user types with different levels of access to deeper controls. I took over the Admin account on mine. The user account was all the ISP wanted me to be able to control. As admin I can reset the User password.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »
Some routers have several user types with different levels of access to deeper controls. I took over the Admin account on mine. The user account was all the ISP wanted me to be able to control. As admin I can reset the User password.

for sure, there is definitely a real chance it was hacked.  But they replaced the router and changed their settings and I did two different malware checks.  it's about as much as I can do short of reformatting.  Come to think of, it, I probably should, but I don't leave near them and I wasn't there for a long enough time.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2019, 01:51:35 PM »
I somehow managed to PIN lock an iMac through our MDM server.  Since I didn’t do it intentionally, I have NO IDEA what the PIN is that will unlock it.  Fuck.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2019, 08:02:29 PM »
Just wanted to upload a picture from my camera to imgur. "Select some tags to subscribe to". Bla bla bla. No obvious way to upload. Finally find it, and post button doesn't work. Fuck you and your shit app and/or website forever and ever. I have no patience for this stuff anymore. Just wanted to post a picture of my hedge hogs. Don't tell me I'm being unreasonable. I'm well aware and I literally could not care less. Also, semi-drunk.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:05:02 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2019, 11:14:31 PM »
Writing IT policies sucks.

ETA: So does writing documentation. But right not it's all in my head, and if I got hit by a bus tomorrow...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:19:23 PM by The Latinist »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »
So my mom has been having issues with her Internet for months, and her ISP has done basically nothing for her.  Finally I stopped in and after about 15 minutes experienced the same issue she'd been having (websites just stopped loading randomly). Quickly discovered the issue was DNS, logged into her router, and changed the DNS server from her ISP's dynamic one to Google's public DNS.  Problem instantly solved.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »
So my mom has been having issues with her Internet for months, and her ISP has done basically nothing for her.  Finally I stopped in and after about 15 minutes experienced the same issue she'd been having (websites just stopped loading randomly). Quickly discovered the issue was DNS, logged into her router, and changed the DNS server from her ISP's dynamic one to Google's public DNS.  Problem instantly solved.

might I recommend using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Cloudflare's public DNS is a bit faster than Google's and the privacy policy on what they do with the DNS lookups is MUCH better. 
#non-belief denialist

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2019, 07:30:05 PM »
Yeah.  I’ll probably do that. I used Google’s because I had it memorized and couldn’t look anything up without DNS.

personate-rain