Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 3413 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 08:30:50 PM »
I cannot empathize with this add-on complaint at all.  Sorry.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »

What's your point in reporting this?
Mooohn!

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 11:13:58 PM »

Quoted from a reddit conversation on this topic:

Besides the browser itself being big, and it affecting lots of people, there's another reason why it's a problem.

A lot of privacy oriented people use Firefox. This includes people in authoritarian countries who use add-ons to stay safe. Those add-ons have silently gotten disabled.

Or even just all the technology illiterate people who have Firefox, ublock origin, and other add-ons installed to stay safe on the internet. These people don't distrust things and don't realize what's an ad versus actual content. With ads being turned back on for them, they're more susceptible to hacks and scams.
It's always more complicated than that.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 11:59:10 PM »

No point, really. I just find it interesting that something that is so important to you is something I find it hard to imagine finding important. I don't mean to imply that it should not be important to you; I'm merely commenting that it's not something that I can even relate to.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2019, 12:01:39 AM »

No point, really. I just find it interesting that something that is so important to you is something I find it hard to imagine finding important. I don't mean to imply that it should not be important to you; I'm merely commenting that it's not something that I can even relate to.

Maybe an analogy will help:

Imagine you are too poor to buy a car, but you need one to get to work. Your neighbor kindly offers you his old, slightly rusty, but very roomy one for free. He points out how utilitarian the car is. He's given a similar car to his other neighbor. The space is very useful and you don't care much that it's not very speedy or glamorous. Unfortunately it has no steering wheel and the locks are kind of iffy. You spend time going around and finding free spare parts, and your friends help you install them. You can't really replace the locks, but you have space in your backyard and private parking at your place of work, and you know what areas to avoid, so you don't worry about it too much because the risk is relatively low. Your new steering wheel works fine, but it has no airbags, but it doesn't really matter because your road to work is very safe and you're a decent driver. 

All is well, until, one day, after three or four years, you wake up to find that your neighbor has graced your car with a fresh coat of paint and racing stripes running along the top of it. Initially, this seems kind of nice. It looks kind of cool. You thank your neighbor. But then when you want to drive to work, you find that there are padlocks on the doors. Your neighbor explains that the locks were not working very well, and he decided to add the padlock for extra security. He helpfully points out that you can enter the car through the rooftop window. You thank him again for his kindness but ask him to please refrain from making such alterations in the future, as you need the car to get to work. Your neighbor gives you two thumbs up and promises to ask you before doing something like that again. You ask him for the keys to the padlock. He gives them to you, but points out that they are made out of a biodegradable material that will dissolve in two years, and the lock maker who made them is 99 years old and on his death bed, so it's probably better to get used to using the rooftop.

The next year, you wake up to find that your doors have all been welded shut and the windows have been replaced by bulletproof glass. Your neighbor explains that he once knew a guy who was carjacked and that this never would have happened if the car was armored in this way. You sigh silently, and commit to entering through the rooftop.

At this point, another friend offers you his motorcycle. You like how fast it is, but you rarely have use for speed and you need to room in your trunk for your equipment, and you don't feel very comfortable on a motorcycle, so you politely decline.

Another year goes by. Then, one morning, when you enter your car, you find that it once again has no steering wheel, the steering wheel column has been replaced by a new one that looks unfamiliar, and the seats have been turned to face the rear of the car. You notice that there's a giant new engine block in the back that takes up all the space you needed. You ask your neighbor about this, and he points out how awesome the new engine block is, and responds that he removed the steering wheel because the lack of airbags made it a safety hazard, and he switched the car seats around so that, if you were to crash, the seat would cushion the impact. Annoyed, you fix the chairs. When you ask your neighbor about the steering column, he points out that it's a prototype model that has been custom designed for extra safety and responsiveness. You point out that you asked him not to change your car without asking, and he explains he forgot, and felt responsible for your well being and that he felt his other neighbor really needed that new engine block because all the other folks in the neighborhood are doing 120 when the old one could only do 110, and it was two for the price of one, and it really wasn't fair to leave you with the old engine when you could have had that speedy motorcycle. You point out that, while you like and appreciate the new engine block, you only travel across roads where the speed limit is 60, so you don't really have much use for it. Your neighbor says he already replaced the engine block in the other neighbor's car, and he just wants to be fair. You sigh again, this time audibly, and ask him where you might find a replacement steering wheel, and he responds that he's working on building one and it should be ready in about 5 months, but he's also working on other "upgrades" for the car, so he'll get to it when he gets to it. When you get irritated by this and point out that you rely on the car to get to work and you asked him not to do such things without your permission, he gets defensive and points out that he left a note under the car seat 6 months ago announcing that he was going to do this. He also states that steering wheel manufacturers knew he was working on a new column design, and they should just have updated their steering wheels accordingly. You check with a steering wheel manufacturer, who points out that the column specifications were not ready in time for him to update the steering wheel, and that the screws that your neighbor was supposed to make that are needed to attach it do not exist yet. You go back to your neighbor, who explains that he gave up on making the screws because it was too time consuming and he has other priorities. When you ask when he might get around to making them, he responds that he probably won't make them, but he is working on some nice custom rims for your car, and for now you can just poke a pencil through the screw holes in the column and use that to steer the car instead. You ask him politely, once again, to not make these alterations without your permission. He says OK. It takes you a couple of days, but you eventually find a new steering column and place back your old steering wheel.

The next morning, you climb into your rooftop window, only to set off a car alarm (which your car never had before), and you look out the window to see that your car seat are in the dumpster behind the house and your neighbor is whistling and walking away holding your steering wheel. Something in his stagger looks slightly drunk.

What are you getting upset about? The car was free, you had an alternative, and none of the spare parts or upgrades cost you anything. You should thank your neighbor for that awesome new engine block!

That's firefox. He's Mozilla.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:26:25 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2019, 12:19:24 AM »
Maybe I should be clearer. I use exactly three extensions on my browser, only one of which I consider really essential. If the ability to use any extensions were to disappear from my browser, I'm not sure that would induce me to change browsers. It is therefore impossible for me to empathize with you, for whom browser extensions seems so important. I can sympathize, because I don't like others to be upset; but I cannot empathize because the thing about which you are upset is simply not important to me. Nor, to be honest, do I have any desire to change the state of affairs.  Rest assured that you have my sympathy, however.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:21:52 AM by The Latinist »

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2019, 07:00:53 AM »
Note that it was an accident not on purpose and it looks like Mozilla is working harder at fixing the issue than say Microsoft would. They also have a temperory fix that they have already rolled out.

Here is an article on this issue
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/

Suggested not deleting and reinstalling (which is what I did) but the reason are that data is lost - Not a big deal with Ad Block Plus.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »
Go to ebay. Find item of interest. About €150,-. Only available in U.S.. Shipping is €15,-. A little high, but just about doable. Click buy now. Go through normal process. Last page suddenly shows an added €40,- in import fees. That's just nuts. Decide not to complete the ordering process. Today, I get a passive-aggressive email saying I have ordered the object and I must pay or risk being dragged to court. Not sure how, given that I did not finalize my order. Try to cancel order the usual way. "You cannot cancel orders if you click 'buy now'". Sigh. Contact owner explaining situation. Waste everyone's time.

EDIT: Got a reply. Order was not yet created, no cancellation needed.

* werecow wipes brow.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:41:17 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2019, 06:53:10 PM »
Note that it was an accident not on purpose and it looks like Mozilla is working harder at fixing the issue than say Microsoft would. They also have a temperory fix that they have already rolled out.

Sure, but this is just the latest in a very long series of frustrations I've had with firefox and the direction Mozilla has been heading in. The straw that broke the cow's back, if you will. IMO they completely jumped the gun with Quantum by removing support for legacy addons way before the APIs needed to replace them were even available. I really don't need a chrome clone with inferior addon support. I have chrome for that. And Waterfox is basically just a fork of firefox ESR anyway, and except for some minor annoyances (session manager is still wonky, and google bar light isn't working atm, but that last one may just be a glitch since it was working earlier), it seems to do exactly what I need right now. Maybe I'll switch back when they finally complete all the APIs that are needed to get things working again, but my guess is that's gonna take years, if it ever happens.

EDIT: Here's what one addon developer thought of the WebExtensions APIs:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:05:25 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »
I do have that as a bit of an issue with the tablet that I am on currently. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2019, 09:30:21 PM »
Some programs seem to work fine, but others appear scale the wrong way around... The fonts look ridiculously miniscule on the 4k projector screen and gigantic on the 1080p regular screen.
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
I'm building a vehicle routing planner (with time windows) with the Optaplanner optimization engine for work; i.e. I have a number of customers with opening and closing times and a number of vehicles to do pickup and delivery, and I have to optimize the route. Had some crazy obscure bug for a while that only seemed to show up with problems of a certain size. Decided to go after it in earnest today. Turns out, the planner requires all the planning variables to be initialized (i.e., it needs the initial solution to have some vehicle assigned to all customers), but the initialization procedure basically just tries to assign the cheapest vehicle and gives up when all time windows are filled, without throwing an error, instead of simply trying the next cheapest vehicle. So I have a five cars available and it tries to assign just a single one of them to visit every customer. This is such a simplistic initialization procedure that I'd consider it a bug, but apparently only one other person on the internet has ever run into it before. Anyway, figured out where it was coming from, I guess.
Mooohn!

Online Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
Just realized I can't print an image to it's designed sized, but can only print the images as if I wanted them on the standard Real world picture sizes or blown up to cover the entire page. But an image I want at 20.5cm x 15cm is not possible. Had to place the image on word. And print it from there.

Actually that didn't really work. Cause the printed image was set 19.5cm wide rather than 20.5 So, when I printed the image got scaled even if the print options had no scaling. I had to Print to PDF. and then Print the PDF on my printer to get the actual size. Wasted about 30 minutes of my procrastination at work.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 11:38:30 PM »
I disabled windows update via the services panel after reinstalling my OS because I've had terrible experiences with that thing in the past. Today I noticed that it has re-enabled itself and has installed several updates without even notifying me, one of which cannot be uninstalled. Given my past experiences I am now dreading my next reset. Please, tell me again how I'm doing crazy things my OS wasn't meant to support.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:42:02 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!