Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 2218 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2019, 12:54:27 AM »
I disabled windows update via the services panel after reinstalling my OS because I've had terrible experiences with that thing in the past. Today I noticed that it has re-enabled itself and has installed several updates without even notifying me, one of which cannot be uninstalled. Given my past experiences I am now dreading my next reset. Please, tell me again how I'm doing crazy things my OS wasn't meant to support.

Sounds like it was working perfectly if it updated quietly in the background without you even noticing.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2019, 06:35:47 AM »
I disabled windows update via the services panel after reinstalling my OS because I've had terrible experiences with that thing in the past. Today I noticed that it has re-enabled itself and has installed several updates without even notifying me, one of which cannot be uninstalled. Given my past experiences I am now dreading my next reset. Please, tell me again how I'm doing crazy things my OS wasn't meant to support.

Sounds like it was working perfectly if it updated quietly in the background without you even noticing.

Except for the fact that I disabled it.

And the last time it "worked perfectly", I got blue screens starting the next reboot and I had to re-install the whole damn OS. Which is why I disabled it in the first place.
Mooohn!

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2019, 08:37:44 AM »
What bad experience had you had that you are willing to allow known vulnerabilities in you system?
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »

Except for the fact that I disabled it.

And the last time it "worked perfectly", I got blue screens starting the next reboot and I had to re-install the whole damn OS. Which is why I disabled it in the first place.

Well, your OS is not designed to have updates disabled.  In fact, it’s designed to restart the update service if it’s stopped. And at least on the home version it’s not possible to disable security updates, since they’re not delivered by the system update process. So, yeah.

That said, if you have the professional edition you can actually disable it through group policy. Short of that, though, it’s not designed to do what you’re truing to do.  The behavior you describe is precisely what is expected.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
I do have the pro version. And you can in fact disable the update service (which is not true for all services). You are given that option. If that option exists, then it should actually fucking work.

Well, your OS is not designed to have updates disabled.

That's just because they intentionally broke the option to simply disable the service at some point. It used to work just fine.

I'm not interested in arguing about this, I'm just reporting my frustration. Besides the actual system breaking update issues I've experienced (the last time this actually broke my system to the point of having to reinstall was just last month), I just don't want shit installed on my computer without my explicit permission.
Mooohn!

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2019, 01:33:24 PM »
I'm not interested in arguing about this, I'm just reporting my frustration.

Please, tell me again how I'm doing crazy things my OS wasn't meant to support.

Choose one.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »
I've had the same happen to me, which annoyed me no end.  The only way to make Windows 10 respect not getting updated is to set your wifi as a metered connection. It does respect that, though who knows if it always will.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »

Well that's obviously not working perfectly. That's your computer not working. But I'm with Guillermo. You should be letting Windows update automatically. Otherwise you're just creating security problems.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2019, 10:40:59 PM »

I did the same thing before Fall Creator's update (1703) a while back. Disabling the Windows Update process just worked. After that, it apparently has another service, that you can't turn off, that will turn Windows Update service back on.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2019, 11:42:45 PM »
It's part of Microsoft's response to criticisms that have been levelled that their operating system is riddled with security problems. It makes it easier for them to patch the holes on the fly without having to wait for major updates. Everyone wants their operating system to be secure, right?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2019, 06:29:56 AM »
I'm not interested in arguing about this, I'm just reporting my frustration.

Please, tell me again how I'm doing crazy things my OS wasn't meant to support.

Choose one.

You've heard of the word "rhetorical", I assume.
Mooohn!

personate-rain
personate-rain