Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 5521 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
It's been my experience that computers needs to be shut down completely and rebooted with reasonable frequency (it might be weekly or monthly). Leaving them on via sleep or hibernation seems to eventually result in slowing of performance or worse, non performance. I don't know why but reboots seem to sort it out. Presumably resetting to a starting state sorts out whatever gets out of whack.

I've run my MacBook for months before without restarting without any issues.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »
Trying to whitelist a website for my students so they can access it when they should not have access to the web at large.  After much experimentation and playing with LittleSnitch, the upshot is that the site won't load unless you have essentially all of google enabled.  Almost none of the actual functionality of the site requires google; it seems to be entirely because of recaptcha.  That would be fine, except that I can't possibly whitelist it without whitelisting everything from Google Docs to YouTube. Ugh.

Can you temporarily have them connect to a pre configured router?

I'm not sure what you mean?  I can create a separate SSID for them if I want to; in fact, I have. I don't need any additional hardware to do that. But nothing I do is going to let my students load repl.it without them also having access to www.google.com, whatever network they're on.

edit, no my solution won't work, sorry. but repl.it is a seriously awesome website.  Makes coding on a chromebook much easier and is great for teaching.  I have also foudn their tech support pretty good, maybe it's worth asking them for help.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:32:53 PM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »
It's been my experience that computers needs to be shut down completely and rebooted with reasonable frequency (it might be weekly or monthly). Leaving them on via sleep or hibernation seems to eventually result in slowing of performance or worse, non performance. I don't know why but reboots seem to sort it out. Presumably resetting to a starting state sorts out whatever gets out of whack.

I've run my MacBook for months before without restarting without any issues.

Windows computers absolutely need to be rebooted regularly. Mac and Linux computers not as much.

I worked in an area for quite a while where all of my colleagues were constantly having problems with their computers, but I didn't. Mine always worked perfectly. The only difference seemed to be that I shut down my computer every night, whereas they just locked the screen for the night without logging off.

Also, there's a reason the stereotype of "did you try turning it off and turning it back on again?" exists. It's because it frequently works.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
Trying to whitelist a website for my students so they can access it when they should not have access to the web at large.  After much experimentation and playing with LittleSnitch, the upshot is that the site won't load unless you have essentially all of google enabled.  Almost none of the actual functionality of the site requires google; it seems to be entirely because of recaptcha.  That would be fine, except that I can't possibly whitelist it without whitelisting everything from Google Docs to YouTube. Ugh.

I'm not sure what you mean?  I can create a separate SSID for them if I want to; in fact, I have. I don't need any additional hardware to do that. But nothing I do is going to let my students load repl.it without them also having access to www.google.com, whatever network they're on.

edit, no my solution won't work, sorry. but repl.it is a seriously awesome website.  Makes coding on a chromebook much easier and is great for teaching.  I have also foudn their tech support pretty good, maybe it's worth asking them for help.

I think what you're not appreciating is that I already have the ability to whitelist and blacklist domains. That is, in fact, what I said I was doing. I've got an enterprise-class wireless controller with an integrated stateful firewall.  I also have a separate enterprise-class hardware firewall. The problem is that I can whitelist repl.it all I want, but if I don't also whitelist www.google.com repl.it simply will not load. There is a recaptcha script on that domain (https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js?render=6Lc7fZQUAAAAAIXMD8AonuuleBX0P3hS2XW364Ms&onload=__capatchaOnLoad) which is embedded in every repl.it page and without which nothing on repl.it will load. And whitelisting that is something I cannot do without whitelisting essentially every google property, including YouTube.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:43:36 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2019, 06:50:17 AM »

I think what you're not appreciating is that I already have the ability to whitelist and blacklist domains. That is, in fact, what I said I was doing. I've got an enterprise-class wireless controller with an integrated stateful firewall.  I also have a separate enterprise-class hardware firewall. The problem is that I can whitelist repl.it all I want, but if I don't also whitelist www.google.com repl.it simply will not load. There is a recaptcha script on that domain (https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js?render=6Lc7fZQUAAAAAIXMD8AonuuleBX0P3hS2XW364Ms&onload=__capatchaOnLoad) which is embedded in every repl.it page and without which nothing on repl.it will load. And whitelisting that is something I cannot do without whitelisting essentially every google property, including YouTube.

if you ask politely maybe they can recode the site ?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
Bought an external battery for my Dell tablet. Even though it uses a USB type plug, it is 19.5 volts so you have to get a special one.
It needs its own AC adapter / power supply to charge. When I skimmed the manual, I thought I could my tablets but it does not work.
Nowhere that I have been able to tell are the compatible AC adapters / power supplies listed.
I wish companies made better manuals even if you had to fo only to find the full one.   
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
What model tablet?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »
What model tablet?

It is the battery power cell that I have had trouble finding the right power supply for
The Dell PW7015M Power Companion 4-cell 12000mAh.
My best guess is that it will take any standard (non USB) Dell 65 watt or greater power supply

My tablet is the Dell Venue Pro 7140 and its performance is greater than my last generation 15 inch laptop.
Just trying to extend battery life even further when I have no access to AC power
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2019, 09:43:06 AM »
Provided a forwarding E-mail account to my pharmacy to send prescription notifications.  Within moments I received my first advertising spam.  After about two weeks, I finally got fed up an unsubscribed.  Four weeks later, I am still receiving E-mails.  I contact customer service.  They want me to provide my name and date of birth over E-mail so that they can "mark my account for manual deletion." I contact them through text chat, tell them that I won't give them that information, and demand that it be removed.  They say that they have done so but that it may take "up to 10 days for the change to go into effect."  Bullshit. This is not like pre-printed snail mail with a two-week lead time where it may be impossible to recall something once it's been printed.  It took seconds for you to add me to your spam list and start spamming me, you can remove me in seconds. It's just some bullshit policy of delaying so that you can get a few more advertisements into my mailbox.  Fuck you. Walgreens.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
What model tablet?

It is the battery power cell that I have had trouble finding the right power supply for
My best guess is that it will take any standard (non USB) Dell 65 watt or greater power supply

As far as I could find, they do not sell a compatible adapter.  I even found a CS response on a forum saying essentially to suck it up and buy a whole new battery.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2019, 01:43:10 AM »
What model tablet?

As far as I could find, they do not sell a compatible adapter.  I even found a CS response on a forum saying essentially to suck it up and buy a whole new battery.

Hopefully you are wrong. . . .I will let you know if the power supply I bought works
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2019, 10:05:10 AM »
I thought apple couldn't make the podcast app any worse. Boy was I wrong.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
I thought apple couldn't make the podcast app any worse. Boy was I wrong.

I haven't looked at it in years, but I've never been entirely happy with any podcast app and I've always hoped that Apple would create a simple, elegant build-in podcast solution.   Sounds like this is not it?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2019, 09:48:56 PM »
What model tablet?

Hopefully you are wrong. . . .I will let you know if the power supply I bought works

I bought a 65 watt dell laptop adapter and it charges the battery backup.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
Less of a woe, and more of a mild annoyance: has the windows error reporting service ever done anyone any good?

EDIT: Somehow googling "windows error reporting service" lead me to this:

It escalates quickly.

I can almost relate.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:04:44 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!