Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 5511 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2019, 06:29:20 AM »
Why does every Bluetooth device in Android have "contact sharing" toggled on? I can't even find a useful description of what the setting is supposed to be for. I mean, my keyboard and headset shouldn't need this, right?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2019, 09:02:26 AM »
Why does every Bluetooth device in Android have "contact sharing" toggled on? I can't even find a useful description of what the setting is supposed to be for. I mean, my keyboard and headset shouldn't need this, right?

Contact sharing transfers your contacts list to a Bluetooth device such as a car's infotainment system, so you can use that device's user interface for hands-free calling. I don't know why it would default to "on."

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »

I *think* that this functionality is for syncing your phone's phone book to, for instance, your car's stereo.  But it seems odd that it should be available to your keyboard, for sure.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »
Just checked my phone (an LG v50) and contact sharing is enabled for all my Bluetooth devices as well.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2019, 09:55:16 AM »
I know System Integrity Protection is a good feature, but sometimes it's just annoying as fuck.  I'm trying to delete an old backup of my system folder and I just can't because there's an SIP lock on the Siri voice trigger at ~/Library/VoiceTrigger/SAT.  Not even root can delete it.  I'm going to have to reboot into Recovery mode, disable SIP, delete it, then reenable SIP.  Ugh.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
No, SIP lock does not completely prevent use of superuser. Did you try sudo rm -r from a Terminal? It has to be recursive for directories. Or maybe it's just su to open the superuser shell, in which case there is no sudo command. It should work. Definitely for ~/Libary, unless there are permissions shenanigans on that sub-directory. In which case you need rm -rf. Sudo use the force force delete. (https://manik.me/2017/05/26/add-user-sudoers-file-mac-os-x/)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:11:44 PM by stands2reason »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
No, SIP lock does not completely prevent use of superuser. Did you try sudo rm -r from a Terminal? It has to be recursive for directories. Or maybe it's just su to open the superuser shell, in which case there is no sudo command. It should work. Definitely for ~/Libary, unless there are permissions shenanigans on that sub-directory. In which case you need rm -rf. Sudo use the force force delete. (https://manik.me/2017/05/26/add-user-sudoers-file-mac-os-x/)

No, sudo rm -rf does not work. Nor can one chmod, chown, touch or even ls the file in question. Chmod and chown result in errors saying that the ACL could not be modified.  If one opens Get Info on the file, the More Info... tab has a spinning wheel and under permissions it says, "You have unknown permissions."  I was able to move the file to Trash, but it can't be emptied with it in there.

A search online finds others who have had the same issue when trying to delete a home folder manually.  They say that turning of SIP works.  I'll let you know how I fare.

ETA: Worked a charm.  Couldn't delete it even in recovery mode until SIP was disabled. Once disabled, no problems.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:36:08 PM by The Latinist »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2019, 11:14:25 PM »
Track phones, WTF buys track phones? What A nightmare, TCL-A1, avoid them like the plague even if you are using it as a burner. I had to manage 4 of these suckers today. Just say no.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
If you boot into recovery firmware (Mac+R), you get a superuser Terminal. I know that hasn't changed.  ;) That's where you have to go to turn SIP on & off anyways.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
If you boot into recovery firmware (Mac+R), you get a superuser Terminal. I know that hasn't changed.  ;) That's where you have to go to turn SIP on & off anyways.

I know that.  But that superuser still can't delete that file with SIP turned on.

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2019, 12:37:34 PM »

I know that.  But that superuser still can't delete that file with SIP turned on.

Are you sure don't mean a folder in the system library folder (/Library)?

You did mention deleting a user's home folder, so you do mean a file In /Users/*/Library/ ? If so, it could be a filesystem bug, or a bug where a program changed permissions on a file/directory in there. What kind of library sub-folder is it?

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
I already explained exactly what file was at issue here.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2019, 03:48:58 PM »
In other news, when our firewall rejects an expired certificate on an active directory server, it logs the event as "unable to connect to LDAP server." No mention of a TLS error, much less an expired certificate.  I was finally able to track it down in the logs on the AD server...after spending far too long troubleshooting the actual connection.  Seems it sent an expired certificate code back to the AD server, but didn't bother logging that code itself.  Arrgh.

Also, I've said it before but it bears repeating: fuck certificates.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »
Sit down to finally watch Midsommar. Dust filter warning pops up on projector. "Clean dust filter!". Check filter info: 1000h passed (yes, I watch too much TV), which is the default time for the reminder. No way to get rid of warning, it remains on screen indefinitely, and it's a giant overlay across my entire screen. Turn projector on and off. Starts up slower than usual because of course it does. Warning still there. Reset filter hours via menu. Warning remains. Turn of reminder entirely. Warning remains. Finally decide to just clean it then if it's so damn important that it has to happen this exact moment. Take out filter holder: There is no fucking filter in there at all!

Turn projector back on, everything seems normal now.
Mooohn!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
Filter normal or no filter normal?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain