Poll

Is file piracy justified when you do it to get around region coding?

No, all piracy is theft
4 (13.8%)
No, but I do it anyway
2 (6.9%)
Yes, but only shows that are not available in my country
4 (13.8%)
Yes, it is NOT theft
11 (37.9%)
I don't know or have a different opinion
8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Is Piracy justified when you do it to get around region coding?  (Read 4319 times)

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Re: Is Piracy justified when you do it to get around region coding?
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
I do not believe that the government has any right to determine what is valid and what is not in a personal contract between two people.

The government is charged with the responsibility of enforcing contracts. Government ultimately gets a say in what it is willing to enforce.

What you have basically said is that if I am deathly allergic to cats you still have the right to posses one regardless of the agreement we just made together in the lease and that your government wont enforce the contract agreed by both partys.

I don't think I said that. For brevity I didn't list all the exceptions to Ontario's rules. In Ontario, you have a right to keep a pet in your rental property *unless* it's dangerous or destructive. Clearly, if I rent, say, my basement to a person and I put in the contract "due to an allergy to pet fur which can result in my death, no pets allowed" that would be 100% enforceable. However, Ontario has ruled that there's no presumption that simple pet ownership is necessarily dangerous or destructive. If you do anything to cause destruction to my unit or behave in a way that puts other people trying to enjoy common elements in danger (say, owning a vicious dog and letting it run free in the halls), you can certainly be evicted or give me grounds not to renew the lease.

You always have alternatives,

Again, maybe where you're from but you really don't have a lot of choice in Toronto and most urban centers in Canada. A place you can afford and isn't a 2 hour hell commute from your jobs is very, very hard to find.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:31:40 AM by mindme »
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
All of this is nothing more than coming up with excuses to justify cheating a system.

No more than all of your post being in support of active exploitation of the disadvantaged, and a corporatocracy.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
To be clear, Captain Video, I am for the most part in agreement with you about piracy. But I think you're taking a hard position on the freedom of contract that I think you don't appreciate the implications of. It is entirely reasonable for a government to determine that some types of contracts or clauses are not in the public interest and to prohibit them. If people then continue to write them into contracts, the Government's sole recourse is to refuse to enforce them when they are presented in course.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »
All of this is nothing more than coming up with excuses to justify cheating a system.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know