Author Topic: Episode #716  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #716
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 02:13:38 PM »
I was a little surprised to hear the Rogues' excited reactions to Pence's statement about going back to the Moon in 5 years.  Nobody really believes this, do they? It's clearly just another throwaway line like Bush Sr.'s mission to Mars.

This administration hasn't the slightest interest in science or exploration, though to be fair, neither did the previous ones.  I could only see an interest in this if the Chinese were a genuine threat to colonise the place first, which seems many years away.

The immediately following statement about the budget cut at NASA brought to mind Biden's crack from a few years ago: "Don't tell me what you're for; Show me your budget."
Are you actually surprised at the rogues expressing irrational exuberance at a story related to space exploration?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »
How big of a deal is it to add another suit to the wardrobe?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a simple matter of not being able to justify paying for it yet. If this was to be the first ever pair of women on a spacewalk, and they haven't had men of a similar size, then it's the first time they've needed two suits of that size. The main issue was not realizing that before publicizing the spacewalk.

Sounds like every suit needs a gazillion interchangeable parts.

NASA's explanation isn't very satisfactory, considering there are numerous Astronauts that have NO space suit in their size at all (they have NONE is small).

I would think that smaller, lighter weight astronauts would be in demand considering the cost per kilo of putting someone into orbit, and probably a conservation of resources as well.
I mean it isn't the 1960s when having some macho square-jawed American Hero manly man was considered a crucial part of the space program propaganda.

To be fair to NASA, back in the day they wanted physically very strong astronauts, to endure the physical stresses of the launch. And in the 1960's women were not allowed in the more hazardous military jobs, and that carried over to being astronauts. The Soviets were far more egalitarian.

But indeed, small people would make the best astronauts, in terms of launch cost. But maybe they figure small people don't have enough bone mass to tolerate the bone loss in space.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
But indeed, small people would make the best astronauts, in terms of launch cost. But maybe they figure small people don't have enough bone mass to tolerate the bone loss in space.

Maybe only send Wolverine.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 04:02:54 PM »

He's way to dense.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
We won't be back to the moon in five years.

This.

The way I heard it Pence was talking to a NASA administrator just before he spoke and was told that NASA had plans to return to the moon and establish a base and it would take five years to do that.

They do have such plans.

Pence interpreted that to mean that NASA was currently planning on going to the moon and would be there in five years. And then ad-libbed that into his speech. Rather than admit he was rather, he's holding NASA up to criticism for its bureaucracy not being able to execute its plans.

NASA has plans for many things, form diverting asteroids to colonizing mars. But those are contingent plans that go nowhere until they are formally proposed, debated and approved.

Yes, NASA has a plan which would establish a moon base within five years. No, that's not something NASA is planning to do or even working on.

So now NASA is being criticized for not being able to do a mission that hasn't been funded or approved.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
I further predict there will be no major manned space mission achievements or firsts for the remainder of my lifetime (I'm 56). At least by the United States. We might see China on the Moon.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 06:06:29 PM »
Are you actually surprised at the rogues expressing irrational exuberance at a story related to space exploration?

Well, a little. I wish I could believe it myself, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime either, sadly...

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »

Having visited the Air & Space Smithsonian in DC, and having stood next to and peered into the actual Apollo 11 capsule, it seems to me those guys were pretty small indeed. Jockey-sized even, maybe.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »

Having visited the Air & Space Smithsonian in DC, and having stood next to and peered into the actual Apollo 11 capsule, it seems to me those guys were pretty small indeed. Jockey-sized even, maybe.

They were pretty much average height.
Neil Armstrong :5'11"
Michael Collins : 5'11"
Buzz Aldrin 5'10"

Looking at the Mercury program, it seems NASA early on had a maximum height of 5'11".
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:20:41 PM by seamas »

Offline Skepmic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »

Buzz Aldrin 5'10"

Looking at the Mercury program, it seems NASA early on had a maximum height of 5'11".

Damn, I'm way too tall to go to the moon. That's sizeist/hightist (tallist?).

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 06:46:27 PM »
Buzz Aldrin 5'10"

I've never met any of them, I'll admit, but I suspect those figures were exaggerated for public consumption. I suspect NASA wanted to portray these men as all-American heroes (which they bloody well were!) and made them out to be taller than they were. Hollywood did the same thing back then. The Apollo 11 capsule was really tiny.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 07:07:26 PM »

Buzz Aldrin 5'10"

They were drawing exclusively from the military's cohort of fighter pilots and test pilots and they were selected for height.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »

He's way to dense.

Yeah, but he's indestructible.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »
  Another great episode guys.  The 'ring in' was good to hear from.

When you guys were discussing the non alcoholic alcohol, the first thing that popped into my mind was "Claytons".  Not sure if it is available in the US or else where, but in Australia anyone can buy it from the soft drink section of the larger supermarkets.  Fake burbon if I'm not mistaken. 
  The catch phrase being "The drink you have when you're not having a drink."    Bleeeh!

Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline Lordsuhn

• Brand New
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 07:44:42 AM »
According to Data, synthehol's "intoxicating effects can be easily dismissed." (TNG: "Relics")

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Synthehol

personate-rain