Author Topic: Episode #716  (Read 2643 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #716
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »
I enjoy the occasional non-alcoholic beer. I believe the process is to brew actual beer and distill out the alcohol. I strongly dislike the way alcohol makes me feel but I like the taste of beer and, to a lesser degree, rosé wine. I've found a non-alcoholic beer I like (Clausthalers dry-hopped non-alcoholic) but never a good non-alcoholic wine. I also like fizzy apple juice, but not enough to justify the cost. When I was drinking (age 15 to age 25) I drank hard liquor to get drunk, but never for the taste. Claytons would not interest me. In Spain you can get something sold as non-alcoholic sangría, but it's just fruit juice with some fizzy water. The real stuff is wine with fruit juice. I really like fizzy water, but sadly, nobody on Maui sells Soda Stream CO2 cartridges.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »
  Another great episode guys.  The 'ring in' was good to hear from.

When you guys were discussing the non alcoholic alcohol, the first thing that popped into my mind was "Claytons".  Not sure if it is available in the US or else where, but in Australia anyone can buy it from the soft drink section of the larger supermarkets.  Fake burbon if I'm not mistaken. 
  The catch phrase being "The drink you have when you're not having a drink."    Bleeeh!

My mum used to drink claytons.

The one that surprises me is the non-alcoholic beer. Why?  ???
I rarely drink alcohol, but when I do, I do it to get a buzz.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »

When you guys were discussing the non alcoholic alcohol, the first thing that popped into my mind was "Claytons".  Not sure if it is available in the US or else where, but in Australia anyone can buy it from the soft drink section of the larger supermarkets.  Fake burbon if I'm not mistaken. 
  The catch phrase being "The drink you have when you're not having a drink."    Bleeeh!

After I quit alcohol, I drank it for a while.  But it's hard to find in the store, and it's expensive, so I stopped.  Like Daniel, I gave up alcohol at 25.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2019, 05:20:45 PM »

If there was a good version of non alcoholic beer, I would drink it but its all the worst versions of pilsners.  Meh. 

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »

If there was a good version of non alcoholic beer, I would drink it but its all the worst versions of pilsners.  Meh.

lol, I used to drink Coors, so that's probably why I liked it.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2019, 05:30:45 PM »

I've always liked the taste of beer. I drink N/A beer for the same reason other folks drink soft drinks. My step-father gave me beer when I was a baby. He said that babies like beer. In my case he was right. It also might have had something to do with an old jazz song that went, "Run and get the bucket; give the baby some beer." I've always wondered if my later descent into alcoholism was triggered by drinking beer when I was a baby. Might have set me up to be ready for hard liquor later. Or maybe the beer had nothing to do with it.

Not so. Clausthaler Dry-Hopped Non-Alcoholic tastes a lot like an IPA. And there are other dark N/A beers. I've never eaten at a restaurant that served the good ones, but they're available.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 04:53:45 AM »
I pine for a celiac friendly non alcoholic beer.

But it sounds like something a douche character would order in a comedy to illustrate what a douche he is.

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 07:06:24 AM »

I am with you on this one Tas Dave (and Cara), 95% of alcoholic drinks taste like shite, so if I'm not drinking for effect, i"ll have LLB or coke thanks.

Poison of choice when I was a whelp was the "Passion Pop", warm and straight out of the bottle! ;D   Memories of getting half baked in the car park before 'we' went out on the town.  Around that same time, my brother got into the Black Sambucca.  Now that is some nasty stuff on the way up.  :D

Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline ta_erog

• Off to a Start
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »
I love you guys.  great episode as always.  (rarely post - but always lurking)

But, (yes a "but" sorry)
The comments on the spacesuits may be a bit too quick to judge.    I mean the actual, not headline facts tell a much different story.
First sure NASA has real budget constraints and yes there is an overall culture of male dominance it permeates can't help that.  (though strangely my antidotal OPV includes mostly female scientists I know - strange) 

But the facts.    Simple first.
The current suits "EMU" are old and maintained. (the total number has dwindled - budget and lack of building more)  Development started in 1975 used first in 1982!  The current models were made in 1989 and modified to be "modular" for more the more diverse Crew of astronauts on the station. (MORE "modular" is key here as it's not trivial to reconfigure but at least possible)
They do have 3 sizes, (because of all previous suits where completely custom and that was $$) BUT can mix and match a bit. ie different top and bottom sizes. Small size has yet to be an issue (and limited room on the station dictate what is currently there. )  Note "Small" "medium" and "large" may not fit with people's concept of t-shirt sizes ;P thought that what people immediately goto. (get that out of your head!)
Also, The current suits are very expensive and there are no plans to make MORE of this type. (important missed fact)  <------  A new version is being made with an undetermined ready date.

McClain had trained on BOLTH the medium and large top units and could operate EITHER!!

These are the background facts now to the facts of the event best described by there own words.

"But during her first excursion, McClain decided she preferred using a medium-size unit, the same size Koch was planning to use. So she suggested NASA switch her role in the second of the trio of spacewalks with the third NASA astronaut on board, Nick Hague, who wears a large Hard Upper Torso.

McClain had trained in both medium and large units before heading to the space station, which is standard practice for astronauts. "A lot of crewmembers, they can what we say upsize or downsize," Todd said. "They have a primary suit that they fit in, that they train in, but there's also some amount of training that's done in other size suits to see if those suits will work for them. That's just a standard way of doing business."

Todd emphasized that the recommendation to restaff the spacewalks came from McClain herself, and not as a fallback option. "If there would have been a request to go change the HUT [Hard Upper Torso unit] or try to resize to a medium, certainly that's something we would have gone and considered, but that wasn't the request," he said.

Switching out the torso units is a long and complicated process, and there was just a week between McClain's spacewalks as originally scheduled — and any additional spacesuit work would have affected time available for science and other tasks on board the orbiting laboratory. But rearranging spacesuit configurations isn't currently on NASA's to-do list, even as a low-priority task, Todd said, citing a lack of need based on current staffing of spacewalkers on the station."

She was a professional working with limited options on the station. Her change of preference (for her comfort and SAFETY) was made by her.  Also, the real option to change up the suites was NOT made by her and she opted to change her role instead. (again as a real professional putting the job first) as they did not really have the time to do it. let alone that it's a long and hard process. and better things could be done instead.  Better to do science than a PR stunt!

So, where is the sexism again? 
Lack of resources and space requires a minimum of loadout.  She COULD have used either suite. She, on her own personal professional judgment, opted out citing performance and safety (her call entirely). Even when she could have forced the issue and had a remaining suite reconfigured as the cost of time, effort and mission.
Also, note that the strong take charge of females in my life (martial artists - yeh kick ass)  saw this as a strong astronaut being professional not as an oppressed female losing an opportunity.  And really did not like the backlash that NASA was getting over the aborted (sexist) PR event as it undermines them being astronauts and strong woman first and more about patting backs on how "progressive" and an arbitrary milestone.

I don't blame you all, as said before it is easy to see something and agree with the match in the "perceived" ideology before looking at the facts. We ALL do it.  Just a reality check here. :)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »
@ta_erog

Thanks for that. This really says it all:

Better to do science than a PR stunt!
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline wstrege

• Brand New
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
Fun coincidence, I am listening to all the SGU episodes and I am on episode 291, which happens to mention the water fleas in science or fiction as this episode does.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
I still see no defense of the fact that there are ZERO spacesuits to fit 1/3 of the female astronauts.

Pretending benign sexism isn't a factor is hard to defend.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
I still see no defense of the fact that there are ZERO spacesuits to fit 1/3 of the female astronauts.

The space program is intended to do science. It's not intended to assure that every class of people get to do space walks, or any other specific job. If the job can get done without using the smallest people in the program for space walks, then there is no reason to build more space suits. Pretty soon it's all going to be privatized anyway, and private companies like Space X are going to go the other way, saving money on launch costs by only using small astronauts.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2019, 12:42:27 PM »

The space program is intended to do science. It's not intended to assure that every class of people get to do space walks, or any other specific job. I

^ Straw man argument right there.

I was not discussing anything about "every class of people".
I was discussing astronauts.
ONE 'class' of people.

It is strange that women (who account for a little over half the human population) are being addressed as some special "class" of person as if "male" is some manner of "default class" of person.
As for the space program doing science, it should be noted that women can "do" science just as well as men.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »

What if females make up 1/10 of astronauts?  Then they have zero spacesuits for 3% of astronauts.  Which wouldn't seem crazy.

personate-rain