Author Topic: 10 trillion FPS camera  (Read 472 times)

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
10 trillion FPS camera
« on: March 31, 2019, 12:46:04 AM »
https://phys.org/news/2018-10-world-fastest-camera-trillion.html

I saw something about this in my Facebook feed, and when I did a Google search I found this article from last October. I did a search on this forum to see if anyone else has posted it but didn't find anything. I'd be surprised if this hasn't been discussed on the show yet, it's cool as hell, and it would give them the chance to say "femtosecond".
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: 10 trillion FPS camera
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 03:11:29 AM »

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:21:07 PM »
I like this one from 2011-

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 09:26:36 PM »
I haven't read the paper on this new one, but from what I recall, it wasn't really capturing that many frames per second.  It was sending the same laser burst over and over again and each time, taking a super fast and precisely timed frame as it progressed.  Then they stitched them all together to create the illusion of capturing the entire path of one burst of laser light.  This new one may be doing the same, and either way it's impressive as hell, but I thought it bared pointing it out.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 04:58:41 AM »
That's what I remember as well, it was a composite.

Here they're talking about a different sort of composite. They do the light first and then take hours to overlay something that's photographed separately. It's not clear to me what it is that happens in real time.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
Very cool. Now they can catch the speed of my fists on camera.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:15:22 PM »
I worked with a phantom once

https://www.phantomhighspeed.com/

We had fun smashing things for camera including a bullet through a watermelon.

There is lots of video on the site. Same camera they used in Jackass 3.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:24:17 PM »
I haven't read the paper on this new one, but from what I recall, it wasn't really capturing that many frames per second.  It was sending the same laser burst over and over again and each time, taking a super fast and precisely timed frame as it progressed.  Then they stitched them all together to create the illusion of capturing the entire path of one burst of laser light.  This new one may be doing the same, and either way it's impressive as hell, but I thought it bared pointing it out.
The new one is explicitly not doing the same thing as (previously) "current" techniques
Using current imaging techniques, measurements taken with ultrashort laser pulses must be repeated many times, which is appropriate for some types of inert samples, but impossible for other more fragile ones. For example, laser-engraved glass can tolerate only a single laser pulse, leaving less than a picosecond to capture the results. In such a case, the imaging technique must be able to capture the entire process in real time.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

personate-rain
personate-rain