Author Topic: Study of bacterial growth patterns vs highway and train  (Read 187 times)

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
Study of bacterial growth patterns vs highway and train
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:05:59 PM »
My Google Fu still lousy. Can someone point me to the study showing that bacteria grow in patterns similar to the patterns of highway development? IE, if you picture the US as a giant petri dish with a map of our highways overlayed on top, it matches pattern that bacteria would have made.

Therefore, Agent Smith was right.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Study of bacterial growth patterns vs highway and train
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Sounds like this one:

Paper: Are motorways rational from slime mould’s point of view? (PDF)
Abstract: (Screenshot because it didn't copy+paste well)

Related Article: If the Interstate System Were Designed by a Slime Mold
Date: 2012 MAY 15

His latest project, though, is perhaps the most unconventional of all. Over the past several years, he and Andrew Ilachinski of the Center for Naval Analyses have used the slime mold to do something astoundingly complicated: design plans for national highway systems. And each time, within days, the mold created routes that are remarkably similar to actual systems designed by human engineers.

The slime mold, it turns out, is specifically evolved to do one thing very well: efficiently transport nutrients from one location to another. As the pair of researchers explained in a New York Times op-ed this past weekend, the forest-dwelling organism forages for microscopic nutrient particles by sending out protoplasmic tubes of slime and maintaining the links between these food sources as efficiently as possible.

Neat stuff!

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Study of bacterial growth patterns vs highway and train
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:32:32 PM »
You couldn't have given a better answer. Mr. Smith was wrong. Humans aren't like a disease. We're slime!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

personate-rain