Author Topic: Cell Phone question  (Read 2052 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Cell Phone question
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 12:16:41 AM »
I need to take that back: as far as I can tell, in-app password manager usage no longer requires application support.  All you need to do is turn it on and select your preferred password manager in in Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Autofill Passwords.  I've just tested it in all of my banking apps and it works exactly the same as in Safari: click in the username or password field and the option shows up at the top of the keyboard.  I've just tried it in Citi, BofA, Fandango, Home Depot, Amazon, NameCheap, Geico, eBay, myAT&T, DirecTV NOW, and Netflix and it worked in every case.

Frankly, I think I've been doing this for months without even noticing it. Support for password managers in apps at the OS level was added in iOS 12 in October of last year.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 11:05:46 AM »
Ok that’s awesome. Thanks for checking!!

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
I need to take that back: as far as I can tell, in-app password manager usage no longer requires application support.  All you need to do is turn it on and select your preferred password manager in in Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Autofill Passwords.  I've just tested it in all of my banking apps and it works exactly the same as in Safari: click in the username or password field and the option shows up at the top of the keyboard.  I've just tried it in Citi, BofA, Fandango, Home Depot, Amazon, NameCheap, Geico, eBay, myAT&T, DirecTV NOW, and Netflix and it worked in every case.

Frankly, I think I've been doing this for months without even noticing it. Support for password managers in apps at the OS level was added in iOS 12 in October of last year.

I still occasionally run across an app that doesn't FULLY support the iOS 12 functionality.  In which case you just have to search it and it will autofill the one you select.
#non-belief denialist

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »
Yeah, password manager integration took a huge leap forward on iOS a while back. TBH if you're all-Apple, using the password manager built into iOS is pretty reasonable. I think it can use your iCloud to sync across other Apple devices. I live a hetero life with iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOS in my home, so I can't rely on that.

Billz, the work restrictions suck. If LastPass.com is not blacklisted you can always go there to log in and copy/paste a password from your vault. If your work is that restrictive though? They're likely monitoring (man-in-the-middle) everything you do, so none of your info would be safe. You might have to do your banking on breaks. :(
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2019, 09:41:37 PM »

I still occasionally run across an app that doesn't FULLY support the iOS 12 functionality.  In which case you just have to search it and it will autofill the one you select.

I think that most of the time when this happens it’s because the login domain is not the same in the app.  In the DirecTV Now app, for instance, the logins are handled by some sort of cloud services provider rather than directvnow.com.  I added it as an equivalent domain in advanced settings and it now works.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2019, 01:57:46 PM »
I'm reading about LastPass on their web site, which is not blocked from my work.  They mention auto fill.  If I happen to swipe your phone, The Latinist, and crack your finger print, do I then have access to all your LastPass accounts because I can click on a button to autofill them?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
I'm reading about LastPass on their web site, which is not blocked from my work.  They mention auto fill.  If I happen to swipe your phone, The Latinist, and crack your finger print, do I then have access to all your LastPass accounts because I can click on a button to autofill them?

Yes

ETA:
I have LastPass configured for touch-ID, Again this adds a layer of insecurity, if someone had access to me and my phone and could compel me to open it, but I acknowledge and accept this risk

All security has a balance between risk and convenience,  You could disable touchID if this is a concern.  It isn't to me.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2019, 02:23:08 PM »

Yes, though you will need to get the fingerprint twice to get to them.  And three failed fingerprint attempts either will lock you out (either at the lock screen or in the browser).  I also can lock and wipe my phone remotely at a moment's notice, so I judge the risk of a physical attack on my phone minimal.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
Crap, LastPass requires you to install a browser extension.  My work won't allow that, and I'm not allowed to have my phone, either.  So basically, I couldn't manage any finances from work.  Well played, work.  Well played.

this is the password manager hardware I mentioned earlier. It works just as the video claims, I dont use it as much as I thought I would but its a great backup for me, this mite be what you need for work.

https://www.themooltipass.com/

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »
Crap, LastPass requires you to install a browser extension.  My work won't allow that, and I'm not allowed to have my phone, either.  So basically, I couldn't manage any finances from work.  Well played, work.  Well played.

this is the password manager hardware I mentioned earlier. It works just as the video claims, I dont use it as much as I thought I would but its a great backup for me, this mite be what you need for work.

My employer (the Australian Government) does not allow non-preapproved devices to be connected to network-connected computers.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 12:16:13 AM »

My employer (the Australian Government) does not allow non-preapproved devices to be connected to network-connected computers.

So don't connect it to your computer, you can still access the passwords and type them in manually.

Something like this would be worth attempting to get an approval. Everyone would be able to have more secure passwords without going online.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 02:15:16 AM »

So don't connect it to your computer, you can still access the passwords and type them in manually.

Something like this would be worth attempting to get an approval. Everyone would be able to have more secure passwords without going online.

I just use LastPass on my phone. I access the passwords and type them in manually. I don't need to carry around an additional device.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »

I just use LastPass on my phone. I access the passwords and type them in manually. I don't need to carry around an additional device.

Which is why I was responding to billz who is not permitted to use a phone, im not sure why you responded at all if you were not interested.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:24 PM »

Which is why I was responding to billz who is not permitted to use a phone, im not sure why you responded at all if you were not interested.

Because I didn't realise or had missed that the device could be used without having to connect it to your computer. I was attempting to point out that not all environments allow connection of random USB devices. I didn't, and don't, think it would be too much of a stretch to conclude that an environment that didn't allow mobile phones also would not allow USB devices to be connected to networked computers. That having been cleared up, I'll shut up now if you like.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2019, 12:53:01 AM »

Because I didn't realise or had missed that the device could be used without having to connect it to your computer. I was attempting to point out that not all environments allow connection of random USB devices. I didn't, and don't, think it would be too much of a stretch to conclude that an environment that didn't allow mobile phones also would not allow USB devices to be connected to networked computers. That having been cleared up, I'll shut up now if you like.

I didn't mean for that post to sound so sarcastic so I guess I deserved that last comment, sorry

personate-rain