Author Topic: five thirty eight knows what they are doing  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: five thirty eight knows what they are doing
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 04:39:23 PM »
This is more like rolling 1000 die each with 20 sides, and the die is loaded, and you're trying to predict the probability of each number turning up based on what you think you know about the loading and how you think the loading affects the probability. And the loading might change with each roll. And based on the accuracy of your overall predictions you're making a claim about the probability of a single row, where the loading was unique.

I bought twenty 20-sided dice at Dragon*Con last year so that whenever I get a couple of low rolls in a row when playing D&D, I can throw the offending dice in the trash as a warning to the other dice to roll higher.  It hasn't been working, I assume, because dice don't mind being in the trash.  I am now looking for a low-cost way to shatter uncooperative dice in front of the others with a hydraulic press or something.  That should do the trick.

You need precision dice: http://www.gamescience.com/Gamescience®-Inc_bymfg_1-0-1.html

Gamescience, They are the original and still the best. You may still need a crayon.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: five thirty eight knows what they are doing
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 07:27:04 PM »
This is more like rolling 1000 die each with 20 sides, and the die is loaded, and you're trying to predict the probability of each number turning up based on what you think you know about the loading and how you think the loading affects the probability. And the loading might change with each roll. And based on the accuracy of your overall predictions you're making a claim about the probability of a single row, where the loading was unique.

I bought twenty 20-sided dice at Dragon*Con last year so that whenever I get a couple of low rolls in a row when playing D&D, I can throw the offending dice in the trash as a warning to the other dice to roll higher.  It hasn't been working, I assume, because dice don't mind being in the trash.  I am now looking for a low-cost way to shatter uncooperative dice in front of the others with a hydraulic press or something.  That should do the trick.

You need precision dice: http://www.gamescience.com/Gamescience®-Inc_bymfg_1-0-1.html

Gamescience, They are the original and still the best. You may still need a crayon.

I have a big bag of dice I need to test in brine. Some were just awful. Others look ok, but could have voids.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain