Author Topic: Subnautica - Spoilers Ahoy!  (Read 305 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Subnautica - Spoilers Ahoy!
« on: April 04, 2019, 09:11:01 PM »
This is a continuation of the discussion in the What Games thread. Spoilers will not be tagged!

Okay. I'm pretty sure I've thoroughly searched all the wrecks above 300m, but I've still clearly missed the one that contains the second fragment of the Power Cell Charger. I've found and activated the gate that connects the two islands, but the quarantine facility on the mountain island has a second gate that clearly needs to be activated from the other end. I've also found another deep cave south of the starting area which is guarded by a bunch of bone sharks and has a field over the entrance to keep water out. It has a bunch of alien robots and another inactive gate, but nothing else as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty sure my next step is going to have to be really deep. I could take the Seamoth down since it's fully upgraded to max depth, but that's only 900m and I'm pretty certain I'll need the prawn suit to get deeper, but I can't build that yet since I don't have aerogel. Also, I really want the Cyclops for its ability to be a mobile base so that I can get food and water when I need to.

I've done a bit of reading online, and I'm pretty sure my next step is going to be to take the Cyclops into the Lost River, which is where I'll find the Disease Research Facility. But it's fucking terrifying down there.

My habitat is currently at the edge of the northeast mushroom forest. But I'm also contemplating setting up a second habitat south of the starting area with another scan room, to see if I've missed any wrecks.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Subnautica - Spoilers Ahoy!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 10:09:04 AM »
300 metres is still rather shallow, I would go deeper (not into the Lost River yet).  There are quite a few wrecks deeper than that on the seafloor, I would try to find those first.

Also, have you been to the Jellyshroom Cave? The abandoned base there could have the part. Otherwise, all I can suggest is to look at a map and tick off the wrecks one by one...

As for the next step, the lifepods generally point you towards where you need to go, up until you reach the lost river. If you are beyond that, then indeed, that is the next step (it only gets scarier later). Don't worry about alien installations, they are impossible to miss and there are only four important ones.

Personally, I expored most of the Lost River with the Seamoth (I did not turn on full survival mode, that is not fun for me), up to reaching the tree, which is too deep. I had a based on the edge of the deep trench in the mid-Southwest of the map, which is a perfect location (safe and above the best river entrance)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
Just got this.  Couldn't say no to the sale.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:21:30 PM »
So I did find the Power Cell Charger over the weekend, which was nice. I also started cultivating gel sacks and deep shrooms, so I have aerogel now, and I've made the prawn suit. Next step is to actually make a few chargers in the Cyclops (which I have named Polyphemus because of course I have) and take the thing to the Lost River.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 12:13:49 AM »
So I did find the Power Cell Charger over the weekend, which was nice. I also started cultivating gel sacks and deep shrooms, so I have aerogel now, and I've made the prawn suit. Next step is to actually make a few chargers in the Cyclops (which I have named Polyphemus because of course I have) and take the thing to the Lost River.

Putting chargers in the cyclops is a bad idea, it will just drain its power. You should carry spare, full batteries instead.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 01:25:03 AM »

Putting chargers in the cyclops is a bad idea, it will just drain its power. You should carry spare, full batteries instead.

Oh well now you're just making sense. I should make a full set of six batteries. That's what I'll do. How fast do the power cells drain under normal use? I have the engine efficiency module.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 04:02:38 AM »

Oh well now you're just making sense. I should make a full set of six batteries. That's what I'll do. How fast do the power cells drain under normal use? I have the engine efficiency module.

I always  carried a full set of extra batteries, just in case (plus extra for the prawn suit) and never ran into problems.

Especialy beyond the Lost River, you should have the thermal reactor module (do some early expeditions with the prawn suit for kyanite. If anything bothers you, punc/drill it in the face. Punching is more effective) and you will never run out of battery power (if you keep the annoying leaches off.)

More cyclops tips: when near something big and scary, try to go with the slowest speed possible and turn off the lights. turn on silet running if you get way too close (be careful, it drains power quickly). Never use the fastest speed, it is pointless. It's not like you are in a hurry or that you can run away from anything. If attacked, kill all power and wait. In greater depths, sonar is your firend, but it also uses power.

Also, remember that you can build a lot of storage cabinets into the cyclops. Go crazy.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
I've found that there are a lot of things out there that will try to attack you, but most of them are pretty easy to avoid. The problems occur when they sneak up on me from behind. Although, I gotta say, those Warper assholes are annoying.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »
I've found that there are a lot of things out there that will try to attack you, but most of them are pretty easy to avoid. The problems occur when they sneak up on me from behind. Although, I gotta say, those Warper assholes are annoying.

Only the big guys will care about the cyclops

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 01:39:20 AM »

Only the big guys will care about the cyclops

Sure, but I can't collect nickel and crystallised silicon in the Cyclops. Gotta go out some time.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 03:10:50 AM »
This is how this game plays for me.

Okay, I need to do this next. And before I can do this, I need one of these and one of these. That means I need this, this, and this, and oh crap, I don't have any of that. I'll need to go find some. Into the Seamoth we go! Okay, I've just spent twenty minutes getting some more of this, so I've returned to my base, and what did I need that for again? Oh yes, so that's this made. Now I need to make one of these and hey, I can get this now. Let's just make one of those... there we go. And now I'm out of this. Crap. I'm sure I had some of that, which goddamn container was it in? No... no... no... no... no... no... damn, am I really out of it? Okay, into the Seamoth we go! Ah, here's some. I'll just collect... damn, my inventory is full. Back to base, drop some of this shit off, now back out again and what the hell is that?!?? Oh shit oh shit did I lose it? Whew! Let's repair the Seamoth... there we go. Now, what was I looking for again?

personate-rain