Author Topic: Episode #717  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Phobosanddeimos

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #717
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2019, 03:50:12 AM »

I think it's the 'name calling' and 'being rude' parts people are objecting to.
It really isn't that big a deal.  ;)

I call them out on their bad pronunciation of Aussie words, but it's more tongue in cheek and gentle ribbing of people I like.

I'm just as guilty of butchering other countries words as the rogues are. We even have regional differences between states on how to pronounce certain words. Of course Tasmanians are right and every other state (that disagrees with us) is wrong  ;)  ;D

>"I think it's the 'name calling' and 'being rude' parts people are objecting to."
You mean him, right? I just replied in the same manner.

>"but it's more tongue in cheek and gentle ribbing of people I like."
Of course.
But getting called "racist" by someone too ignorant to 'Fact Check' who then Lies about what she said... and then insults people who can actually speak their own language is pretty unaceptable.
.... whilst announcing a trip to Oz and Nz (!)
Who is their diplomat? Donald Trump?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2019, 04:00:38 AM »
I was agreeing with Artwollipot.

You went a bit far. The rest of us are just having a bit of fun with the mispronunciations.

There is no need to call people dumb for a regional dialect difference. As much as we joke about other countries getting Aussie words wrong, us Aussies don't really give a toss  ;) We find it amusing.

Offline Phobosanddeimos

• Off to a Start
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2019, 04:01:37 AM »
I think it's the 'name calling' and 'being rude' parts people are objecting to.

I don't know about you, but I have come to expect members here to show a little more maturity than a ten-year-old in their interactions, regardless of their opinions or arguments. The childish ranting on display to all in this thread shows none of that. It's not funny. It's not clever. It's puerile.

Forum nazi arthwollipot still has nothing to say but abuse for it's 'Straw Man'.

Completely Ignored, yet again, by forum nazi arthwollipot -

There's no 'Episode #718' thread yet so I'll put this here...

OMG

So what Logical Fallacy is it when Cara won't go back and actually LISTEN to what she said so that she can continue LYING about what she said?

It's here - http://media.libsyn.com/media/skepticsguide/skepticast2019-04-06.mp3
at 01:19:31

Cara Says -
"Wow that is *SO* racist..." 
then the colonials go on about how people back in the civilised world must be behind the times.  :-*
Don't be scumbags, just suck it up and APOLOGIZE.

This is not a matter of lack of education, but of regional variation in pronunciation.

No... it's a matter of the *context*... Go and actually listen to what was said -
http://media.libsyn.com/media/skepticsguide/skepticast2019-04-13.mp3
at 00:06:45

Cara starts making fun of people who can SPEAK ENGLISH "It makes me a little twitchy"
Steve says "It's like an ice pick in my frikkin heart"

If you want to 'spurk urrrrmurrrkurrrn' then suit yourself...
But don't make fun of people who are able to speak THEIR OWN LANGUAGE.
Go on, waddle around OZ saying "EeeeeMooooo" (those 'smiles' you see are gritted teeth).

That and the bullying false 'racist' accusations from PC Thought Police clearly wilfully ignorant of anything that happens outside of their 50 states just got a bit annoying and insulting.
[/quote]

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2019, 04:01:48 AM »
Moderator Comment Now let's go back to being civil, without all the insults and attempts to pick a fight

Offline Phobosanddeimos

• Off to a Start
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2019, 04:05:31 AM »
I was agreeing with Artwollipot.

You went a bit far. The rest of us are just having a bit of fun with the mispronunciations.

There is no need to call people dumb for a regional dialect difference. As much as we joke about other countries getting Aussie words wrong, us Aussies don't really give a toss  ;) We find it amusing.

Did you miss this? -

>"I think it's the 'name calling' and 'being rude' parts people are objecting to."
You mean him, right? I just replied in the same manner.

>"but it's more tongue in cheek and gentle ribbing of people I like."
Of course.
But getting called "racist" by someone too ignorant to 'Fact Check' who then Lies about what she said... and then insults people who can actually speak their own language is pretty unaceptable.
.... whilst announcing a trip to Oz and Nz (!)
Who is their diplomat? Donald Trump?

Offline Phobosanddeimos

• Off to a Start
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2019, 04:07:57 AM »
Moderator Comment Now let's go back to being civil, without all the insults and attempts to pick a fight

Quite right

Do you get a lot of 'Artwollipot' types abusing lying and ignoring?

Yup -

You have received a warning
« Sent to: Phobosanddeimos on: Today at 03:56:46 AM »
Delete

Phobosanddeimos,
You have received a warning for inappropriate activity. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.
Regards,
The Skeptics Guide to the Universe Forums Team.

I guess foum nazi Artwollipot just uses it's abuse to try and get people kicked off.  What a nasty little thug.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:12:13 AM by Phobosanddeimos »

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2019, 04:22:48 AM »
Moderator Comment I would strongly recommend that you stop, chill, and take some time off from this thread to read the forum rules

Offline Phobosanddeimos

• Off to a Start
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2019, 05:43:27 AM »
Moderator Comment I would strongly recommend that you stop, chill, and take some time off from this thread to read the forum rules

Is there any way I can block 'Straw Man' abusers like arthwollipot ?

Or have most of the actual 'skeptics' already done a 'Rebecca Watson'?

Offline Antlee

• Brand New
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2019, 07:42:13 AM »
I love the show and have been a listener for over a decade. I have to laugh sometimes at the cultural disconnect within theEnglish speaking world and loved the irony of the cultural disconnect over the Mexican wave following on from the discussion over the pronunciation of Emu. Be assured, Brits - and every Aussie I’ve ever heard pronounce it exactly the way Cara criticised! Vive la difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »
Wow, what the hell happened here?

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2019, 11:37:09 AM »
What was the name of the guest rogue with the conspiracy game?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:51 AM »

Forum nazi arthwollipot still has nothing to say but abuse for *it's 'Straw Man'.

Completely Ignored, yet again, by forum nazi arthwollipot -

* its 

Respectfully,
-forum spelling Nazi.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »

You took her comment out of context, created your own story about it, insisted that the "facts" are your out-of-context version, doubled down when the actual exchage was transcribed into the thread, and then started name-calling.

And FWIW, no member here can get another member "kicked off" the forum. Only the mods can do that, and they do so on their own authority, not at the whim of another member.

And, no, there is no "correct" or "incorrect" when comparing regional differences in pronunciation. Pronunciation changes over time and across geography. It's one thing to joke that "my pronunciation is correct and everyone else's is wrong," and quite another thing to rant about it and call people stupid for using different pronunciation than you.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline thelaker

• Off to a Start
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »
Since there is no Episode 718 entry:

Regarding the issue of plastic bags, I got the feeling that Cara was a bit biased on the "anti" side and was overly dismissive of arguments related to the counter productive nature of bag bans.  This is at least a debatable concern, as mentioned in today's Skeptoid podcast from Brian Dunning:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4671

"There is little that Western citizens can do that can have any meaningful impact on ocean plastics as the causes are almost entirely within Asia. Studies show that initiatives like bans on plastic bags and straws in Western countries actually do more harm than good."

To me, the plastic straw and bag bans impose visible inconvenience to people on the notion that this is a significant step to reduce plastic/waste, when it is really a "drop in the bucket".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:46:19 PM by thelaker »

personate-rain