Author Topic: Do the Youtube ads actually pay off for their makers?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Do the Youtube ads actually pay off for their makers?
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:06:21 AM »
Youtube has run ads for quite a long time now, typically before a clip. And at least to my perception, they have become more intense recently, in that hey sometimes run multiple ads before a clip, and even after the clip sometimes. I understand

I assume that the ads are based on some marketing research when it comes to length, what is said and showed before the compulsory five seconds end, and so on. But do they actually pay off? To me the ads are just annoyances that I click past as soon as I am allowed to do so, and then forget about. Even in the very rare instances of some ad actually catching my attention, making me watch the whole of it (like maybe once a year or so), I still pretty much forget about it afterwards. I never, ever think of the ads that Youtube has shown me.

Unless I am functioning very differently from other people, I can't see how the Youtube ads could possibly pay off for those who pay to have them shown there. Do they actually pay off? How does it work?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Do the Youtube ads actually pay off for their makers?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:34:58 AM »
I don't want to experience an ad for something I like, because ads are inherently off-putting to me, and it'll lower my opinion of the product/service and the people who profit from it. If it could be interpreted that I gave money to someone because of an ad, that would be to support the ad industry, which I want to avoid doing.

When people talk warmly about ads polluting content that's otherwise enjoyable, I don't see them talk about the value of the ads themselves. Somehow it's accepted that we must endure ads in order for money to change hands in a way that benefits us, but if you're not enjoying the ads and buying what's in them, who's moving that money around?

It's spam, they have to target lots and lots of people to reach the small minority who ends up being influenced to give them money. I don't see why so much is done to prevent ad-blocking, when ad blockers are mainly eliminating people who don't want to interact with ads and saves bandwidth.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
I think that we can safely assume that their profit motive will prevent advertisers from spending on advertisements that they do not think work. And with the prevalence of data and analytics (I bet you'd be surprised how accurately and specifically they can measure the effects of ad impressions on purchases) I think it's safe to say that they know exactly how their ads are performing for them.  Indeed, Google/Youtube's knowledge of its users and ability to track their activity in ways never before imagined is what makes them valuable as a company.

When people talk warmly about ads polluting content that's otherwise enjoyable, I don't see them talk about the value of the ads themselves. Somehow it's accepted that we must endure ads in order for money to change hands in a way that benefits us, but if you're not enjoying the ads and buying what's in them, who's moving that money around?

I think you're thinking of advertisement as working in a way that it doesn't really. Advertisements don't work by inducing people who enjoy them to reward their makers by buying their products. They work by increasing your awareness of the product and subtly influencing your perception of it. These things happen in ways that you don't even realize; if someone with perfect knowledge could explain to you how advertisements had influenced your purchasing decisions you probably would deny that it was true.  That's what makes it so insidious.

Nor, I would add, do advertisements need to be enjoyable to be effective. Did anyone actually enjoy the Head-on ads from a few years back? But how many of us know what you do with the product who otherwise would have no idea?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:07:02 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 12:28:19 PM »
The advertisers must be happy with their results if they continue shoveling money into the maw of YouTube.

I can see why the ads are wanted by content creators. I was watching a channel by a farmer who at the time had 87,000 subscribers. He posts videos daily from his tractor cab, changing tires in his shop, talking nonsense. No production values. He claimed he was bringing in $30K/year from ad revenue. Post enough content and have enough people who watch the vids and you can earn some spending money. There's a young woman with a cat video channel. She has 7 cats and 2.3 million subscribers and 595,175,684 views as of a few moments ago. She recently moved into a very nice new home. Money.

I never see any of the ads because I have YouTube Premium which is $10/month and gets rid of all ads. I used to use an ad blocker on YouTube but the day a payment option became available I signed up.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »
I think you're thinking of advertisement as working in a way that it doesn't really. Advertisements don't work by inducing people who enjoy them to reward their makers by buying their products. They work by increasing your awareness of the product and subtly influencing your perception of it. These things happen in ways that you don't even realize; if someone with perfect knowledge could explain to you how advertisements had influenced your purchasing decisions you probably would deny that it was true.  That's what makes it so insidious.

That's why I dislike seeing anything in an ad, because I know it's meant to be manipulative, rather than an honest representation. If I'm already buying the product, it would motivate me to stop.

And block all ads as far as is possible. In addition to them being a security risk.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:48:56 PM by 2397 »

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 07:00:57 PM »
Here's my theory, hatched just now as the result of this thread: Nobody is actually paying YouTube to run those ads. The ads are there to annoy people into paying YouTube for the Premium membership which allows you to watch content without the ads.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain