Poll

Is "Game of Thrones" the greatest TV show of all time?

Yes
2 (10.5%)
No
11 (57.9%)
Maybe
6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: April 14, 2019, 01:51:10 PM

Author Topic: Is "Game of Thrones" the greatest TV show of all time?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Is "Game of Thrones" the greatest TV show of all time?
« on: April 11, 2019, 01:49:52 PM »

Is ‘Game of Thrones’ TV’s greatest show of all time? Yes, it is - Los Angeles Times

“What is the best show ever?’ and the answer is easy: “Game of Thrones.”
There are television series that more people have watched, that more people have loved, series that have more specifically aided our growth as a society, better showcased a single performance or more clearly set a template for other shows to follow.
But “Game of Thrones,” adapted for HBO by D.B. Weiss and David Benioff from the book series by George R.R. Martin, is, and will possibly remain, the only television series that can be truly described as epic.
No other series has ever built such a deeply detailed and far-flung world, with a geography as varied as its social constructs, religions, languages. No other series has propelled such a massive yet impeccably individualized cast through such an impossibly intricate cat’s cradle of story lines that honestly should have collapsed long ago but didn’t.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Is "Game of Thrones" the greatest TV show of all time?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
Nope

It is the best show on TV right now.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
Nope

What series that came before GoT is as great?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
This is not really an objective question, is it? At the very least you have to wait until it's finished, but ideally until it's been rerun as much as any other show you want to compare it to.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »
This is not really an objective question, is it? At the very least you have to wait until it's finished, but ideally until it's been rerun as much as any other show you want to compare it to.

Even then, it will never be objective. It's an entirely subjective question.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »
How could you really compare GoT, against, say, Twin Peaks anyway?  Unless there are objective criteria, like number of trophies won or fastest mph in sports, the question isn't just subjective; it's meaningless.

What's the greatest TV show? Highest audience figures? Highest percent critical acclaim?

I can never make lists of e.g. favourite books or music, because I can't rank them even in my own mind.

Never mind that comparing anything from one era to another is fraught with problems.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 03:55:06 PM »
How could you really compare GoT, against, say, Twin Peaks anyway?  Unless there are objective criteria, like number of trophies won or fastest mph in sports, the question isn't just subjective; it's meaningless.

What's the greatest TV show? Highest audience figures? Highest percent critical acclaim?

I can never make lists of e.g. favourite books or music, because I can't rank them even in my own mind.

Never mind that comparing anything from one era to another is fraught with problems.

GAME OF THRONES Facts and Figures – HBO & Cinemax PR – Medium

Over the first seven seasons, GAME OF THRONES received: a total of 132 Emmy® nominations and 47 wins; seven Golden Globe nominations and one win; 18 SAG Award nominations and seven wins; 17 Critics’ Choice Award nominations and one win; and seven AFI award wins.

There are probably shows that have more nominations and wins. But that shouldn't be the only criteria, at least not in my subjective book.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 03:56:11 PM »
Nope

What series that came before GoT is as great?

Breaking Bad.

Where Game if Thrones sits in the greatest shows of all times will depend a lot on how it handles the last season and particularly how they finish it off.

Something 'Lost', 'Battlestar Galactica' and many other great shows couldn't do. They just fizzled out and left many viewers disappointed.

I agree GOT is the best show on TV at the moment.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »
No way. The series have been going downhill very fast since season 3 and by now, the writing is completely incoherent and characterisation is crazy inconsistent. The most recent season was objectively terrible.

It also turned a grounded story with consequences into a high fantasy schlock were the plucky heroes are saved in the last second if they screw up instead of g tting killed.

Also, it is rich to credit the show for the worls building that was done by the author of the books.

The best show on tv right now is probably The Good Place.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
No way. The series have been going downhill very fast since season 3 and by now, the writing is completely incoherent and characterisation is crazy inconsistent. The most recent season was objectively terrible.

It also turned a grounded story with consequences into a high fantasy schlock were the plucky heroes are saved in the last second if they screw up instead of g tting killed.

Also, it is rich to credit the show for the worls building that was done by the author of the books.

Aren't the plucky heroes often saved at the last second despite screwing up in "The Good Place"?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 04:29:34 PM »
There are dozens of shows that I've felt compelled to watch all the way through upon watching 1-3 episodes.  GoT is not among them.  (There are also dozens of fantasy series I've felt compelled to finish after reading 1-2 books.  ASoIaF is not one of them.)

By that standard, I'm pretty comfortable answering "No".
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 04:42:50 PM »
It was until season 6. But season 7 was abismal. Completely off character for most of the characters. Characters surviving situations that would have killed them in earlier seasons, and a ton of situations that happened "just Because".
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
One series that started out great but dropped off after a number of seasons is "Walking Dead."

I'd say GoT hasn't dropped off nearly as much.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 05:58:40 PM »

Aren't the plucky heroes often saved at the last second despite screwing up in "The Good Place"?

Yes, but unlike GoT, it does not go against the world that was previously built.

Plucky heroes getting away with crap is fine in itself. But you can't have a show that starts in a harsh, semi-realistic manner where mistakes are punished hard by other players and then have the Battle of the Bastards.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 06:06:12 PM »

Yes, but unlike GoT, it does not go against the world that was previously built.

Plucky heroes getting away with crap is fine in itself. But you can't have a show that starts in a harsh, semi-realistic manner where mistakes are punished hard by other players and then have the Battle of the Bastards.

I loved that episode. 
(click to show/hide)