Author Topic: Episode #718  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: Episode #718
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »
1) Emu is pronounced e-µ not e-moo, where µ is the 12th character of the Greek alphabet, pronounced 'mu'.

I find this post amusing because in my own accent (and, I imagine, that of the Novellas who live quite near to me) there is no distinction between the pronunciation of the Greek letter 'mu' and word 'moo.'  This is a matter of accent, and it's called yod-dropping.

Considering that the Greek pronunciation of µ is "mi", as in "mee" but a shortened "ee" sound.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 11:08:37 PM »
The first syllable of "kookaburra" rhymes with "cook", not with "puke".
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »
any plans to move this topic to the correct forum?

1.  Plastic bags, in recent years I've notices that the plastic bags from supermarkets tend to disintegrate within a few weeks or months.  I used to keep some bags within bags in a closet to use for those small waste bins, but I had to stop doing it because when I pulled out them out they just broke apart into small pieces.  Are modern plastic bags less dangerous?  Or does the plastic just disintegrate into into smaller and smaller bits without actually breaking down chemically?

2.  Cara's closing "huzzah" was cute in its apparent sincerity.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:37:23 PM by God Bomb »
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 06:11:04 AM »
1.  Plastic bags, in recent years I've notices that the plastic bags from supermarkets tend to disintegrate within a few weeks or months.
At our local supermarket, they no longer have the old style plastic bags. Everyone is encouraged to bring their own bags (which we do most of the time). They do have large bins with emptied cardboard produce boxes that people can also choose to use.

But they will supply a biodegradable plastic bag for 15c if you request it.

In 1998 I had a stint working in Frankfurt, Germany. No plastic bags in the supermarkets then. You were expected to bring your own bag. No ifs or buts. On my first day there I had one of those comedy skit walks home trying to hold onto all the items I'd bought.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 07:52:15 AM »

Presumably that's still a bag that has to be properly handled as trash, and won't turn into organic matter all on its own.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
Normally I catch these when Steve forgets.  Thanks Quetz...

#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »
For well over a decade I've been using cloth shopping bags. On average once a year I forget them. I cannot remember ever seeing anyone else in the store bringing their own bags. Ever. Except in Revelstoke, B.C. (a very outdoorsy place) where some stores charge for bags. Same here in Maui. I've not seen anyone bring their own bags.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 02:11:40 PM »
For well over a decade I've been using cloth shopping bags. On average once a year I forget them. I cannot remember ever seeing anyone else in the store bringing their own bags. Ever. Except in Revelstoke, B.C. (a very outdoorsy place) where some stores charge for bags. Same here in Maui. I've not seen anyone bring their own bags.

The USA is more backward than I thought if that's the case... but look who they elected to run the country.  Everyone brings their own bags to shop here.  The store will sell you a nice re-usable or hand you a box (they have done that forever), however... but they have totally phased out the white bag thing.  Save our birds, fish and all marine life.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:15:35 PM by lonely moa »
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 02:45:11 PM »
Single use and reusable bags are common in most parts of the US.  Most groceries have recyclying bins for the reusable one in my experience.   I only get them when I need a garbage bag, sometimes I even steel them from the recycle bin. 

Also, I find it hard to believe that the US could be more backwards than you previously thought. 

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »
OK, so how should I feel about the 30-50 plastic dog poop bags I go through every week?  They go in the trash.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 05:43:36 PM »
As long as it goes in the trash, it's just about the GHG emissions, not plastic pollutants (assuming it's burned). And it's probably significantly less than the emissions from the meat they eat.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 05:46:02 PM »
OK, so how should I feel about the 30-50 plastic dog poop bags I go through every week?  They go in the trash.

Are you  disposing them in a way that could allow them to reach the ocean?

If no then you should feel fine. If yes then make sure they are sent to the landfill. Don’t recycle those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 07:25:27 PM »

Presumably that's still a bag that has to be properly handled as trash, and won't turn into organic matter all on its own.

Yes, still to landfill eventually. On the occasions we get one we keep them for another purpose, so typically a two use bag.

This item from a consumer advocacy group in Australia is interesting:
https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/everyday-shopping/supermarkets/articles/sustainable-shopping-bags

Which is the best single-use bag?
On days when you've forgotten to bring your reusable shopping bag and you just can't face buying yet another one to add to your collection, you'll probably end up with a single-use plastic bag. If you buy bin liners, you're also buying single-use plastic bags. Of these, recycled high-density polyethylene (HDPE) bags come out best for their low environmental impact, with paper and biodegradable starch bags at the bottom of the list.

"Both biodegradable and paper bags use more energy and materials than thin plastic bags to make," says Allan. "And there is little advantage in biodegradable and degradable bags, because most bags end up in landfill where there is no benefit to breaking down – they just create more methane and a less stable landfill site."

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 05:07:09 AM »

Gosh, we have had two dogs for decades, and have never used a plastic bag for their poos.  I guess we walk, run and ride where dog poos is fine, usually overwhelmed by sheep, cattle  or horse excrement. Sky and Joe wouldn't really like visiting places they might have to be on a lead and get their poop carried home.

I'd think a page from the Press would do the trick... into a fire at the end of the day.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
As long as it goes in the trash, it's just about the GHG emissions, not plastic pollutants (assuming it's burned). And it's probably significantly less than the emissions from the meat they eat.

So I'm hearing from you and Carbshark that the difference between plastic grocery bags and plastic poop bags, is that the grocery bags are more likely to end up in the ocean or as general litter problems.  ie, if grocery bags all made their way to appropriate landfills (the way my poop bags do) there would be no issue with them.

Wife and daughter are vegan and I'm vegetarian, but I just can't bring myself to deny meat flavored kibble to Isaac... he's such a sweetie.

Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain